Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Pit pull for cheap

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 11:58 am

Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 1:23 pm

Awesome pickups, high out put with coil splitting option. Down side is they are guitar humbucker sized.

I almost put a bid on it, but do not have a use. Still hard to let this go for under $40
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 8:18 pm

Aah...man...too bad I don't have any more bread to spend on bass right now. I got that multi effects unit that should be coming in the next couple of days and I am really low on cash.

One of the things I want to try really bad is a Thunderbird pickup replica (one of the super expensive Mike Lull pickups) in my Hamer Blitz in the bridge position. That bass can always use more chrome hardware and a whole chrome pickup+surround would look killer! Laughing If not that, then I'd love to give a Pitbull a try. I think I've got a chrome bezel or two kicking around already...
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 3:55 am

The Pitbull went for $24 what a steal. They now cost $125 each

The Lp pickups are the same pickup just under chrome covers $119 for set is a great deal as originally they were $125 a set before Gibson stopped selling them on the open market several years ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Thunderbird-Bass-Guitar-Pickup-Set-Chrome_W0QQitemZ260455353029QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item3ca4594ac5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1488wt_1119 pale
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 8:04 am

Barklessdog wrote:
The Lp pickups are the same pickup just under chrome covers $119 for set is a great deal as originally they were $125 a set before Gibson stopped selling them on the open market several years ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Thunderbird-Bass-Guitar-Pickup-Set-Chrome_W0QQitemZ260455353029QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item3ca4594ac5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1488wt_1119 pale

I *just* got a set of these in the mail yesterday, I'm going to put them into a bass I'm building myself, though I'm not making the neck.

I'm still undecided as to what positions, I'd assume the Thunderbird positions would prove good, but I was also thinking to have the neck pickup in the "P" position, and the bridge one pretty close to it.

Oh, and Barkless, the center wire is hot, and the braided outer shell is the ground wire, no?
I've never wired pickups like this before, and attaching them to a blade switch is looking like its gonna be tricky....
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 8:43 am

I had someone wire it for me . sorry.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 8:44 am

Barklessdog wrote:
I had someone wire it for me . sorry.

Its cool dude, I'ma just test it now, I have a spare jack just for rigging up test pickups.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 12:03 pm

I'm right, so its gonna make it a balls to wire it the way I had planned, I have to think on this some more.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 3:43 pm

How were you going to wire them?
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 4:12 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
How were you going to wire them?

Blade switch, takes the pickup not in use completly out of the circut.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 4:28 pm

Mhmm. Will a Gibson-style 3 way be able to get close enough to what you're trying to do?
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
Mhmm. Will a Gibson-style 3 way be able to get close enough to what you're trying to do?

I'm not a big fan of those personally. I'd rather be able to do things like having one pickup more prevalent than the other. I guess you could use a 5 way switch and have the 2 position be 1/3 bridge 2/3 neck, and the 4 position be 1/3 neck, 2/3 bridge, but it would be a pain to wire. Or are you going to have 2 volume knobs as well like on an LP? Because since I got my Kramer I've really liked that configuration
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 12:56 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
It would work, but I greatly prefer the blade style, I have the wiring problem figured out now anyway, turned out to be no biggie.

Kugelspot wrote:
I'm not a big fan of those personally. I'd rather be able to do things like having one pickup more prevalent than the other. I guess you could use a 5 way switch and have the 2 position be 1/3 bridge 2/3 neck, and the 4 position be 1/3 neck, 2/3 bridge, but it would be a pain to wire. Or are you going to have 2 volume knobs as well like on an LP? Because since I got my Kramer I've really liked that configuration

I have never had a need to have both pickups on at different volumes, not to mention the extra tone loads of two vols, two tones, I'm choosing pickup selector, master vol, master tone, all I need, well, that and a little extra trick...
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Tell me more! I'm curious to know about how you're going to wire this...I have a couple ideas for interestingly wired basses in my mind, so I'd like to see what other people are dreaming up!
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:19 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
Tell me more! I'm curious to know about how you're going to wire this...I have a couple ideas for interestingly wired basses in my mind, so I'd like to see what other people are dreaming up!

Basically, its got the two Gibby buckers, first goes through the switch, so I have the non used pickup *completly* out of the circut, master volume, with a capacitor so it dosen't get muddy as I roll the volume down(I like to do swells), and a master tone, I could get by without, but this bass is gonna be bright, I'm thinking, and I like the tone rolled down a little when they're real bright(espcially good for pick play), and the last treat, an EMG Afterburner!

A push/pull pot, that does nothing pushed, but when pulled, becomes a gain booster, the knob rolls up how much gain you want, up to +20 db, which is IIRC over 10 times a normal basses volume, great for overdriving amps and pedals! Cool
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:21 pm

Holy crap that sounds so cool, man...holy crap. I want to do that, but with a stereo setup! You're awesome, Darkstrike.

For an Irishman. Razz
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:23 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
Holy crap that sounds so cool, man...holy crap. I want to do that, but with a stereo setup! You're awesome, Darkstrike.

For an Irishman. Razz

Hmmm, stereo, I must wire a bass in stereo in the future, my Ricalike would make a perfect cannidate....

And you know Irishmen are the awesomest around.

If you take the meaning of awesome as drunk......
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:24 pm

The afterburner sounds awesome. I might put one on my Spector on of these days
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:26 pm

Kugelspot wrote:
The afterburner sounds awesome. I might put one on my Spector on of these days

You can get them in a switch form too, and you select how much boost you want from the control cavity, cheaper, but I think the easily accesible variable control is a better idea.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:28 pm

Stereo is awesome, man!

I must be Irish! Shocked

It does...is the Afterburner passive? Is that what it is--a clean boost?
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:29 pm

I think with that much boost it would have to be active, right?
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:32 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
Stereo is awesome, man!

I must be Irish! Shocked

It does...is the Afterburner passive? Is that what it is--a clean boost?

Its active, theres no way to make a passive booster, IIRC, needs juice to pump the volume up. Its 9, or 18v, I'm gonna go 18, for maximum headroom.

It is a clean booster, but of course, if you get too loud, things will get dirty, which is what I want! Cool
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:32 pm

It says it works with passive pickups, not electronics. And it comes with a battery clip
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:35 pm

Cool thing is the battery(ies) will last over 1400 hours.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Wow. That's a long time.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:39 pm

Thats one of the greatest things about EMG stuff, low draw on the batterys.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:40 pm

Yeah. I notice that I've had that battery in my Jackson for half a year.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:44 pm

And I bet it'll be there for that much again before running out.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:49 pm

It has no sign of cutting out right now. Cool
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 3:27 pm

Does the pitbull could be a replacement pickup on my viola bass?
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 9:55 am

What size pickups are in your Epi?
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 10:24 am

Just from looking at photos, I think the Epiphone's pickups are slightly longer and narrower than Pitbulls. I don't know, though.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 1:27 pm

After checking Epi's site, no, they're Mini Buckers, won't fit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pit pull for cheap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit pull for cheap   Pit pull for cheap Empty

Back to top Go down

Pit pull for cheap
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Pickups, Amps, Strings & Things! :: Pickups-
Jump to: