Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sly

Sly

Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? Empty
PostSubject: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyMon May 02, 2011 10:04 am

I'm P-O ed at LG. Here's the story : http://mylgdvdexperience.org/

What do YOU think??
Back to top Go down
http://www.slyonbass.com/
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyMon May 02, 2011 8:04 pm

Well Sly, I work ATM at Staples/Bureau en gros, and we must know the legal guarantee by heart. And let me say, IME, you would win
against LG. But, it would take you a lot of time IMO.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyMon May 02, 2011 8:13 pm

The simple sad fact is that most consumer electronics are designed to fail soon after the warranty expires. I have heard so many horror stories along these same lines that I cannot be convinced otherwise.

It's a real tragedy that most products made nowadays cannot compete with the longevity of products made in days past. I remember that my grandfather had a GMC pickup from the 1940's that he put close to half a million miles on. Try that with anything made today.

So should electronics companies try harder? Definitely. Will they? Probably not.
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyWed May 04, 2011 6:26 am

it costs too much.

your lucky if it works. usually it doesn't.

your best bet is to just accept it and throw it away.

it seems i work too hard to get things right ... only to hear 80% complain. i can't field all that like the DMV or LG.

this has become the state of business in our world today.

hate to be such a pessimist, but it sure beats having my head in the clouds. when i do run across something awesome, i try to let people know and promote that product as much as i can and thats about as positive as i can be these days.
Back to top Go down
Sly

Sly

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyWed May 04, 2011 7:16 am

I'd be OK with it if it was clear that Warranty = Expected lifespan. Put 'disposable' on the box - or 'Good for burning up to 30 DVDs'

I bought the product with the expectation of at least 5 years of usage. A one-year throw-away is irresponsible and unacceptable IMHO...
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyWed May 04, 2011 7:25 pm

I realize this is more about electronics, but I can't help but go back to automobiles as an example. So many people are like "buy American!". Yeah, I love my country, and I'm all for supporting it, but when you buy an American car with an expected lifespan of maybe 150,000 miles at the absolute max, against a Japanese car that could get close to 400,000, which way do you think consumers will go? It's very simple. Stop producing expensive crap that dies quickly!

I realize this opens up a whole new dialog about the bottom line, and how that translates into earning potential for American workers. But I know that it can be made to work, since I grew up with my father working, and my mother being a housewife, and we always did well financially. Nowadays, that is all but impossible. So what changed? Simple. Somebody got greedy along the way.

Sly, I totally feel your pain. I have next to zero faith in most consumer electronics, simply because I know they won't last long.

In my Utopian train of thought, American consumers could lay down their hard-earned money, pay a fair price, and know they are getting something of quality, built by someone in this country who actually cared about what they built since they were fairly compensated for their hard work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 8:22 am

funny (more like pathetic).

i've been doing some work on the side setting up embroidery artwork for this guy that opened a new business in town.

People who know how to do this are few and far between and the alternative is to send your artwork to china, korea or india. when that art comes back, these folks dont run or test the designs and they are code locked, so the buyer cant edit or change the design ... and they really just dont run that great. you get what you get. Having someone in-house costs more, but it provides the business owner more flexibility and better quality limited only by the abilities of the software (and the package this guy has is cheap and isnt that great) ... not to mention a quicker turn around time .....................................

AND KEEPING THE JOBS IN THIS COUNTY.

he told me yesterday he didnt like a design i did ... a big one; full jacket back. personally, i feel i was limited by the crappy artwork he gave me (a 300X300, 75 dpi jpeg) but i think it was an acceptable run (seeing as it works out that this cat is only paying me about $7 / hr). i wasnt too thrilled about it either but it is what it is. the guy is only paying $40 for the digitizing and $40 a piece for the 6 jackets. the boss didnt listen (and doesnt understand) why the stitch file came out the way it did and easily just made it my fault.

he told me he was gonna send the work to india.

i didnt go in today ... good luck with your overseas artwork pal.

this is american workmanship being destroyed on so many different levels.

lame.
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 5:15 am

Quote :
i've been doing some work on the side setting up embroidery artwork for this guy that opened a new business in town.

People who know how to do this are few and far between and the alternative is to send your artwork to china, korea or india. when that art comes back, these folks dont run or test the designs and they are code locked, so the buyer cant edit or change the design ... and they really just dont run that great. you get what you get. Having someone in-house costs more, but it provides the business owner more flexibility and better quality limited only by the abilities of the software (and the package this guy has is cheap and isnt that great) ... not to mention a quicker turn around time .....................................

Can you translate jpeg or pdf files to embroidery code files (Work related)?

as far as electronics go Apple has been stellar. I have had several Apple products well past their warranty where they replaced them on the the spot, no questions no paper work, no headache. They even replaced a computer at work with a newer model free, no hassles.

Most consumer electronics are antiquated by the time you need to repair them.

Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 5:18 am

Quote :
(a 300X300, 75 dpi jpeg) but i think it was an acceptable run (seeing as it works out that this cat is only paying me about $7 / hr). i wasnt too thrilled about it either but it is what it is. the guy is only paying $40 for the digitizing and $40 a piece for the 6 jackets. the boss didnt listen (and doesnt understand) why the stitch file came out the way it did and easily just made it my fault.

Thats's a horrible resolution. What does he expect?

I was going to Embroidme for something & are want $85 just to transfer the art to an embroidery file.
Back to top Go down
Sly

Sly

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 6:16 am

EricHaven wrote:

In my Utopian train of thought, American consumers could lay down their hard-earned money, pay a fair price, and know they are getting something of quality, built by someone in this country who actually cared about what they built since they were fairly compensated for their hard work.

My thoughts exactly - I find it sad that making more money is what fuels the decision making and not the satisfaction of doing your best. Corporate thinking is sadly not very humane...
Back to top Go down
Sly

Sly

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 6:19 am

madmike wrote:
funny (more like pathetic).

this is american workmanship being destroyed on so many different levels.

lame.

You said it - Pathetic!

Sorry for you, man.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 6:50 am

4 things.

A stitch file is a graphic recreation or representation of another graphical image. It based in vectors but there's a lot more to it than just putting together shapes. Each shape will have properties for what type of stitch, underlay, density, stitch direction, pattern, etc.

Now you need to consider the time it takes to make a stitch file in regards to how many times the design is going to run (how many shirts did you want?). A lot of time and money is spent on designs that are going to run on machines for months straight so they run efficently.

Embroidme is infamous for outsourcing. Its expensive and not great quality ( then they try to upcharge on some foreigners work). The artist isn't running the design so what do they care. Embroidme trys to operate without digitizing software because a simple software package is about $6k. Then they have to find someone who knows how to use it.

But yes ... that is rediculously expensive! As a local business they should offer pre digitized" clip art" options to you and be more capable to render logos as stitches. I didn't see your logo, but I wouldn't have let you walk out and would have offered you some options ... even if you only wanted one shirt. You should never pay more than $20 for a one color art charge and $50 for stitch digitizing.
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 9:47 am

All I need is one or two for prototyping purposes, not for s production run.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 10:25 am

remember, digitizing is still digitizing, whether you need one or one million ... running a design is a different operation. if its for a million pieces, the digitizing is cheaper because the cost is absorbed over the cost of the million shirts.

well, the type of guy i am, i'de be happy to throw some stitch files together for you for a few bucks ............

but my last boss with the awesome stitch software fired me ..........

and the last guy i was doing freelance for with the crap software told me he didnt like my work and sent my job overseas.

so i am a retired embroidery artist.

sorry.

see how it works out that this is in the "rant" section?

i agree with you ... these business should put in a little more effort.
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 11:31 am

PM sent
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??   Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I wrong in thinking electronics companies should try harder??
Page 1 of 1