Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My new low/clean channel toys!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

My new low/clean channel toys! Empty
PostSubject: My new low/clean channel toys!   My new low/clean channel toys! EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 2:29 pm

Given my financial situation, there was NO way I could have done this were it not for my honey Linda dipping into her savings to help me out. But when my 2x15 cabinet blew the speaker out, she asked me what it would take to get it up and running again, and she didn't hesitate to offer to help. That's my Girl!

So today, I ordered 2 of the Carvin PS15-8's. These will keep my SA 2x15 cabinet at 4 ohms, but will increase the power handling to 800 watts:

My new low/clean channel toys! Ps15-8

And then I thought about why the SA speaker blew, besides the fact that they aren't the most top-of-the-line to begin with. I've been running through the preamp section of our drummer Doug's little GK combo amp into one side of my QSC GX3 power amp. It's works OK, but I've noticed that the GK's output has been hitting the QSC a little hard, so I started thinking about options. So I started digging around the web for an amp, and I found a Hartke LH500 on zZounds for $349. It's everything I love in an amp. Stupid-simple controls, 500 watts into 4 ohms, not terribly heavy, rack-mountable, rave reviews, and since I've owned two different Hartke heads in the past, I knew it would work well:

My new low/clean channel toys! HartkeLH500

Now, there was NO way I had $349 for this amp, but then I noticed that zZounds has a payment plan over four months. Hmmm....so $349 divided by four....$88 a month! YIKES! So it's on it's way!

I still have my Digitech RP6 acting as the preamp for my distortion channel, and this will continue to run into one side of my QSC. But now I'm considering selling the QSC, and getting either a smaller power amp, or maybe another rack head. Since I'm only going to use one side of the amp, I feel like it's a waste having an 800-watt power amp in my rack taking up space and adding weight. But for now, my rig is being upgraded nicely.
Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: My new low/clean channel toys!   My new low/clean channel toys! EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 pm

what model is the qsc Eric?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: My new low/clean channel toys!   My new low/clean channel toys! EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 1:20 pm

I don't like hartke but because of the speakers and cheap overpriced cabs ... their heads are actually quite decent. I hats have a br3500. Nice preamp / nice tone. And I've played one of these heads in the store ( po- ing GC employees); I wanted to take it home.

Keep me up to date with the spl's you get with the carvins in the SA cab. Im getting the feeling that the power of these speakers will override the pressure they build up in the sealed cab ... or they just wont resonate below 100Hz.

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: My new low/clean channel toys!   My new low/clean channel toys! EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Gotcha, MadMike! Wink

Mike, the QSC is the GX3, which specs out at 300 watts a side into 8 ohms, and 425 watts a side into 4 ohms. They sell brand-new for $220 on eBay. If I post mine, I'll probably ask around $120 for it.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: My new low/clean channel toys!   My new low/clean channel toys! EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 3:12 am

120 plus about at least 30 to ship? you want me to paypal you friday, and you ship it next week?

i read the pdf...it's 2 things -- not as heavy as my mackie1400, and at 8 ohms it's about the same wattage just not bridgeable or 2 ohm compatible.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: My new low/clean channel toys!   My new low/clean channel toys! EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 4:29 pm

Ahhh....so I guessed correctly that you would be interested, Mike! Wink

My only sticking point is that after I sell the amp, I need to replace it right away. I'm totally fine with $120 for the amp, but I'll need to raise more cash to get another amp, which won't happen until my next payday on the 5th which means two more practices until I get paid again. Would you be cool with hanging on for another week?

As far as the shipping cost, let me pack it up and get the correct weight and dimensions (shoot....I think I even have the original box still....but don't quote me on that just yet) so I can do an accurate shipping quote for you. PM me your mailing address (I had it from when you sent me those string sets, but I think I've lost it now), and let me know if you have a preference of shipping companies. I'm fluent in all of them, so it matters not which you prefer.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: My new low/clean channel toys!   My new low/clean channel toys! EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 7:06 pm

ya i'll pm you that stuff. shipping parcel post is fine once your ready to sell it --- Package weight 25 lbs 0 oz, mailed on January 28 after 8:00 AM from PITTSBURGH PA 15206 to BLAINE WA 98230 Fri, Feb 4 $29.88

Fedex and UPS are a few dollars more.

the mackie is only a volume workhorse bridged and in stereo mode it's no more than that thing (around 300 watts) @8ohms...BUT the qsc is 27lb and the mackie is 36 and if it is loud enough I'll save 10lbs in my rack for a lot less than one of those brand new 800.00 15lb 1000 watt units Razz

yes the mackie can run 2ohms all night, but I'll never have a 2ohm load on it.
it also has some very nice variable bandwidth filters for using in a PA situation lowpass/highpass/subwoofer for different cabs, but it's not being used for that purpose either, just full range.

and finally, if it is too weak to use as a main amp, I'll bring home my BGW from our practice place, and use the qsc over there since the BGW is only 100 watts and my 2x12 sucks up the watts badly
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: My new low/clean channel toys!   My new low/clean channel toys! EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 11:23 am

oh I have one for MadMike:

the BGW6500 was made in the mid 80's, is not bridgeable, only mono/stereo in, stereo out but I have done it many times TRYING to blow it up...I just cant. It heats up the heatsink so bad I can't touch it, but never has it failed or shutoff from overheat even hours of jamming on it and it does get louder...lol

just like a bridgeable amp, both positives are used for +and- and only the left volume works when I push the mono switch into my 8ohm cab. ( not that I'm gonna try but I'll bet I could kill it in 10 minutes with a 4 ohm cab )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new low/clean channel toys!   My new low/clean channel toys! Empty

Back to top Go down

My new low/clean channel toys!
Page 1 of 1