Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Late Christmas presents - Kahler content

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
amimbari

amimbari

Late Christmas presents - Kahler content Empty
PostSubject: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 6:00 pm

ok here's the new toys Wink

the 3 spring gold 7410 ( 2410 is 2 )
Late Christmas presents - Kahler content P1010362

the 7410 string holders are different than the 2410 they stick out more and it holds the strings easier
Late Christmas presents - Kahler content P1010363

and thanks to the same hole and the cam to tilt the bridge to attach the strings on,

10 minutes later it now looks like this
Late Christmas presents - Kahler content P1010367

and when I finally intonate it, I'll jam on it, but in the meantime, here's the second Jackson I ever owned
Late Christmas presents - Kahler content P1010361

all I can say is, yep I got a great deal, that green cord makes it sound great right out of the box ( strings feel like 40 to 95 cause they are easier to bend ), and the tone is the familiar jackson passive pickup sound, BUT, I like preamps, so here is the one that will go in the blackCherry 3b that has been sitting in the case for a month. This one came from bongomania on TB, and it's from a concert so I'll have a 3b wiith a blend knob instead of the switch.
Late Christmas presents - Kahler content P1010368

should I fill out the warranty card?...hehehehe
Late Christmas presents - Kahler content P1010355
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 6:08 pm

ooooooooooooooohhhhh... Shiny!
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 11:36 am

CB told me to look around fort gold tuners like on this Jackson Smile

Late Christmas presents - Kahler content IMG_0292

but the cost is very high, so for now, it's gonna just get played as-is Smile
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Really nice scores there, Mike! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 6:36 pm

thanks Eric, you know me by now with the motto "cheap can be good" cheers cheers

that White bass is very light and played great out of the case.. It looked like it had been sitting in there a very long time. Since white hides all the marks, I can only tell it was not used as a daily driver, and if so not for too long .

only Chowder would appreciate these couple pics though, I put Bongo's Jackson CMG preamp into the BlackCherry 3b. Here's the first pics I took of it since THIS WAS ACTUALLY my Christmas present, and I'm finally getting around to putting it together...lol

Late Christmas presents - Kahler content P1010370
Late Christmas presents - Kahler content P1010375
just so you know, the pickups in this one have 10x the magnetism as the Jackson branded ones. Before I put it all back together, just for the hell of it I put a Jackson-p in it..haha MUCH softer output, I would probably like these better in a passive bass, but that's an adventure for the future SmileSmile
so now it has 4 knobs and not 3 and a switch. And CB when I took out the OEM pre board it says jackson electronics on it, the one from the Concert don't, so who knows who they had making the boards for them in the 90's..
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 1:59 am

Interesting about the preamps. That 3B looks great with the 4 knob setup! Looks a lot like how my Kelly and your Tbird are set up.

I don't remember saying anything about gold tuners...but if I did, I don't care because that bass looks awesome with the gold bridge! How do you like the tension of the three springs instead of two?

I love it when old guitars come with the warranty papers and case candy. I wish my Jackson had all that stuff from the CS! Some day, I'd like to get a brand new guitar, just for the feeling that I'm the one to get all that stuff and make the guitar my own. Some day. Cool

So, are the pickups with the exposed pole pieces on your black cherry 3B stock? That is, before you swapped the P pickup.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 6:51 am

naw it wasnt you it was KS on a post at TB I think..
it's still sitting in my bedroom I'll mess with it this weekend .

since I posted that other post, I pulled out the red 3b for tone comparison--there is really none beyond the new string twang, but volume out of the guitar to the first VU meter on the pre is much stronger. who knows who makes them but the magnets are much larger than the covered ones. Like you and the others here and the millions everywhere, it makes me happy in search for that ever elusive "tone" if you have some time and playtoys to switch and swap stuff on.

I think it is the green cord that came with the futura that said "you will be able to plug me in and start playing" - it MUST have been in the case for many years because the strap was folded over and REALLY creased, even though the ends were worn from use, there was no dust on it from sitting on a stand for years and the glue that holds the 2 case straps to keep the top from opening past vertical was all dry as they were both not attached, but since it is a tkl case and not OEM, who knows how it was treated thru it's life.

and finally, I'll put the pre with the switch I took out into the lefty white 2b, and get it to where it can be used a little more.

our band is sponsoring a Haiti Relief benefit in Feb, and we have already found a place that is willing ( occupancy permit for 1250 people ), a promoter who was so impressed at our effort to get this together and as a band, ( He was allowed to see the basement jams videos ) he is now going to work with our band, and thanks to him we already have 3 gigs coming up in march, including a st.patricks day gig, and his percentages look good on what we have to pay him for shows based on the total draw, not a flat rate where I can walk out with more than 5 bucks.

and on a sad note... the band once again has changed membership, and this time I believe we have good talented members loyal to the cause, so from last jan-2009 to jan 2010 we now have a new singer,drummer,and 1 new guitarplayer. We are gonna jam tomorrow as we JUST found the guitarplayer and his audition last week was not recorded, but it will be tomorrow and I'll post some on youtube.

BUT IN KEEPING WITH THE TOPIC OF THE THREAD...........

at least this year the "Christmas" toys will be put to good use king
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 1:16 pm

Wow congrats on everything! Best of luck with your band. That's exciting!

I was thinking about the stock Jackson pickups today. They are very warm, without much magnet pull at all. Any bite from them must come from the preamp/on board tone controls. I had to set up the DiMarzio P pretty differently to get it to sound good because it's brighter, with more output and has the exposed, hex wrench-adjustable poles. I didn't wire up a tone pot (yet), but if I do, I think I might go with a .068 microfarad cap. With one of those, when the tone's dimed, it has a very Thunderbird-y vocal sound to it, which would suit that kinda pickup well.

My plan for the 3B is to wire it similarly to a Strat. I want it to have master volume/neck tone/bridge tone. Somehow, I'd like to be able to do a coil tap on the X2N, as well as a series/parallel switch. I've found from wiring some of my friends' guitars that those humbucker wiring/coil splitting options sound much better when you've got a loud, fat humbuggy like a Super Distortion or an X2N, less so on pickups like the Model P, where I could hardly tell any difference at all. The parallel setting just sounded...slightly worse than series.

Anyway, I want to try and use different value tone caps for the X2N and for the Split P, so that each sounds as good as possible in as many tone settings as possible, probably with a brighter cap for the bridge pickup and a darker one for the neck. It will be a lot of fun to play around with the wiring on that one, when the time comes. That'll make my Charvel an interesting counterpart to my Hamer, when that's done.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 3:45 pm

MadMike played around with the caps and had great tonal results. Him and Eric were going back and forth here in a thread about it.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 9:23 pm

for me ... the bridge position pickups are too bright ... generally.

i went with .06 microfrad in the neck pickup and a .1 in the bridge. i could even go less in the neck pickup ... dimarzio split p humbucker is very dark and low end response. both of these caps were higher value and i like the "darker" tonal response from the higher values. the bridge humbucker sounds great now.

... but i'm still looking at an onboard preamp for passive pickups for the p - blaster. need it not to cut the level or be so jumpy in the transition and/or blend of the 2 pickups. the caps made it better as far as the jumpiness in the transition, but the level still cuts with both pickups on.

it is worth the extra $2 you'll spend on better quality caps like orangedrops. i'm sure theres even better ... do some research.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 10:05 pm

I like the color of Orange Drops. They look cool and they have a good reputation. The description on GuitarElectronics.com was persuasive, for what it's worth. I can't wait to hear what they sound like! I got a couple of .1 microfarad caps for a very dark sound, but I'd like to order a selection of various values to have on hand. I probably won't use the .1 caps in the end, but I want to start there and work my way down from there in my Hamer.

I'll bet a .47 would sound great with the Split P. I wonder what would sound best with an X2N-7. Guess I'll have to find out. What a Face
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 7:39 pm

i originally had a .047 with the split p in the p and i got one in the washburn b2 with a dimarzio split p.

furreal, .047 with that pickup ... you can start there and start going down. that pickup is so bassey and dark you could probably drop to a .003 and still get great tone. not sure tho what would happen ... never tried a cap below .047.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 12:33 am

That's good to know--that's exactly what I want in my Charvel; overpowering, clean lows that can keep up with the X2N's thunder.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 3:55 am

I dont know if this new bass will be considered a late x-mas present, but I since I have the gold kahler now, I finally broke down and me and peabuddy Rob are trading. H'es gonna get the black 2b with the kahler, and I'm getting his crackle 3b and a spare stock jackson bridge. The gold should not be bad looking on the red/orange/crackle finish, if that will be the bass it goes onto.

when I was taking the 2410 off I actually studied them both carefully...the 7410 has a larger upper frame compared to the 2410, but obviously the mounting holes are in the same place.

He also wanted me to buy his spare 7410 for 150, but he knows I only paid 100 for the gold one brand new, so when he says 100 for that one, I'll have a spare to play around with if the gold just don't cut it on the crackle bass.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 5:13 pm

Awesome! You're finally getting your crackle bass!

Is his extra trem black?
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 7:17 pm

ya his trem is black..email him and tell him you wanna buy it,,he really needs to sell some stuff off ..he's just trading me his crackle because he has wanted my black one for a while as you know and there's no money really spent for either of us, he gets the kahler 2b he never had and I get the 3b crackle I never had.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 8:32 pm

I know how it is. I could use a couple extra bucks myself. He sounded really grateful for the money I gave him for the Kelly.

That's an awesome trade. Hope your basses get to each other safe and sound!
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 3:39 am

if I could ONLY find a lefty crackle...even if it was something else like a Kramer or another company producing wild colors back then...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Late Christmas presents - Kahler content   Late Christmas presents - Kahler content Empty

Back to top Go down

Late Christmas presents - Kahler content
Page 1 of 1