Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)

Go down 
+2
Kugelspot
NoobOnRoad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) Empty
PostSubject: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 3:35 pm

OMG SERIOUSLY PLEASE BUY THIS BEFORE I DO AN HEART ATTACK!!!!

I think Kugelspot wanted a Transtrem IIRC. It's your chance to not buy it 20 000$....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Vintage-1984-Steinberger-XM2-fretless-bass-w-Transtrem_W0QQitemZ250488068419QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3a52409943&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 4:03 pm

I don't have any money FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I could (read: beg) ask my parents if I could have this instead of getting anything for my birthday (in October, so it might just work).

And it might go way higher. It has almost 6 days left, 7 bidders, and its already at $560. It's pretty banged up and modded though. 4 Extra holes in the body (experimenting with strap button placement), no original electronics, and the asshole replaced all the knobs, etc with that synth thing. I'm hoping that deters some of the collectors, or at least diminishes the value. Still, I'll make sure to watch.

EDIT: God, just thinking about this is just painful, almost physically painful.
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 4:10 pm

Also, this guy live in SF. He put it on Craigslist. For $2000... No
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 4:35 pm

If I had a lot of money right now, I'd offer him a mint just to get the TransTrem!
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 3:57 am

iddid be nice to buy it for the trans trem and put it on a bass of choice.

but i dont see anything aparently wrong with this bass. its actually real cool. the only mods i'de do is cosmetics (i hate people drilling holes for strap buttons. its a simple concept that people feel the need to mess up and drill more hols for.) and doing something with that synth pickup wire ... but at least he used BLACK duct tape.

if i bought it, i'de probably find 10 other things to mod / fix.

but i wouldnt buy it. Steinberger are really nice basses and i'de love to have one, but collectors have driven the prices way higher than these things are worth. the bid on this one now ... about $500 ... is about what its worth ... maybe a bit more. think how many cats are sitting on the auction waiting to bit $15o1, just to cheeze off the cat who bit $1500.

i'de recommend finding one thats trashed with a trans trem and going thru ed roman for parts for a rebuild .... a project i may take on in the future.
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 10:10 am

I'm starting to wonder if that bass would even be worth it. I guarantee the winning bid will be over $1500, which is way out of my budget, even with the whole birthday thing. plus the amount of modding it would to take. the thing doesn't even have a volume knob! And I can't play unlined fretless. Plus, I don't even like like the normal body Steinbergers. I think I'll wait until I have more money, and a bass pops up that won't take so much extra money and work to get it to where I'd even want it. I'm not sure if I'll ever find such a bass, but whatever.

So if any of you guys want it, try to get it. If it's not going to be mine, I'd at least love to see someone else in our little community with it.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 10:52 am

Wow...that tremolo system really does look swell, man. I'd like to try one before I die...
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 4:45 pm

madmike wrote:
(I hate people drilling holes for strap buttons. Its a simple concept that people feel the need to mess up and drill more holes for.)

(whistles silently to self) Rolling Eyes

Um....I'm one of those people, MadMike. Wink But let me explain why. With all of the throwing around I do with my bass, I have had stock strap buttons rip right out of the wood before, and I have also experienced strap lock failure. So I took a cue from he who shall not be named....OK....Billy Sheehan...and now I bolt my straps onto the body using 3" wood screws.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 8:25 pm

eric, putting the strap post in a different spot ... thats one thing. if you've had problems with straplocks ... bolt that puppy on!

i use daddario 50mm ... never had a problem.

i've seen nice used basses and guitars for sale with multiple holes where straplocks have been ripped out and screw holes stripped. insted of fixing the dammage, someone decided to get crafty with a drill. No

real simple fix folx ........

to fill a hole to resink a screw or to refinish over dammage or an unused hole, use matchsticks, cardboard works for a resink, or prefrebly wood matchsticks to refinish over, inserted in the dammaged hole with some woodglue, good old fashioned elmers or even crazyglue for the resinks. pack it in there real good with a ground down electronic srewdriver or some other packing device. sand it flush. resink or refinish.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 10:09 pm

Laughing

I always do a laundry list of self-mods to every bass I own, and one of them is to drill out the existing strap holes to accommodate the larger screws. But I think I drilled new and re-positioned holes one time only, and that was on my first Yamaha BB300, since the bottom hole got damaged after I dropped the bass on it's end.

In addition to what you said MadMike, you can also take wood shavings mixed with wood glue for an effective and strong wood putty.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 10:20 pm

The only time I've moved the strap buttons is on my BTB, my first bass, just to experiment so that I didn't have to do it on anything else. I like to have a cheap but nice platform to try things out before I do irreversible harm to something that I don't want to be messed up.

I feel you--I don't trust strap buttons and I'm also a little wary of strap locks.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 9:32 am

i've heard that sawdust mixed with crazy glue works good for filling in grooves and imperfections on rosewood fretboards. razor blade along the grain on the fretboard, mix up the sanded rosewood with the glue and scpackel it on the repair spot before it dries, let it dry, sand it down, finish ... almost as good as new.

i'm hearin you guys tho ... the screws that most companies use for the strap buttons are pretty whimpy. the screws that come with the d'addario's are longer and a tad bigger diameter ... tuff to get in ... therefor tuff to get out.

... and if your gonna do the cindarella move and spin your guitar around your body and over you head, it better be good enuff to take that ....

"shake me ... all night ... shake me ... shake it dont break it baby ... shake me ..."
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 10:26 am

That's a good one to know, Madmike.

I'd already have hard bolted a strap to my Blitz save for two things--the Dunlop strap locks make the strap stick out farther and make the bass hang more comfortably and the fact that one strap button is on the back of the neck pocket. At that angle, there isn't a lot of wood for a bigger screw to sink into; the body isn't that deep.

I haven't had difficulties with the strap locks...it's just that I never take the strap off. I'd rather just have it stuck there.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 4:11 pm

madmike wrote:
... and if your gonna do the cindarella move and spin your guitar around your body and over you head, it better be good enuff to take that ....

That is exactly one of the main reasons I bolt my strap on. I first saw Ritchie Blackmore spin his Strat years and years ago, and I had to learn how to do it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 4:12 pm

Aaah you clowns! You and your buffoonery.

Who am I kidding? I'd do it, too...but I play an Explorer. And Explorers are heavy. And pointy. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Ya if I tried that with the Kramer, you know, the metal neck and all... I'd end up in serious, serious pain. Not gonna even try
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 9:56 am

Sir, you've got a large aluminum fork in your shoulder... Laughing
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 12:12 pm

this better describes the repair i was talking about .......

http://www.instructables.com/id/SLQZ0NOFQR1NZ0O/

steps 3 thru 8.

and pretty please guys, no shoulder strap swinging around the pointy basses. you'll put someones eye out. pirat
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 12:16 pm

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 2:53 pm

Laughing

"All I wanted for Christmas, was a shiny new Steinberger Bass TransTrem".
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 5:24 pm

EricHaven wrote:
Laughing

"All I wanted for Christmas, was a shiny new Steinberger Bass TransTrem".

And Tommy doesn't know what day it is. He doesn't know who Jesus was or what praying is. How can he be saved...from buying a Transtrem on eBay?
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 5:27 am

Damn'

That was Ben Stranges bass, if I'd had known sooner I'd have tried to bid on it.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)   BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT) Empty

Back to top Go down

BUY THIS (TRANSTREM CONTENT)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Thoughts and Musings :: General sillyness-
Jump to: