Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Kahler arm query

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Meshica7

Meshica7

Kahler arm query Empty
PostSubject: Kahler arm query   Kahler arm query EmptyFri Dec 27, 2019 5:11 pm

Something I wanna throw out there for everyone to chime in on: Is there an attachment for the arm/bar on a Kahler that allows it to function like a pop in type arm? What I mean here is that on some guitar trems (like the Floyds, Wilkensons, and those found on the Parker Fly) the bar stays put in whatever position the player leaves it even after moving it around a bit. It appears that they have some kind of "stay put" lock. The arm stays in place until they get moved by the player and then stay in whatever position the player leaves them in...they don't swing around loosely yet are not hard locked into one position. Does this make sense? On the Kahler, the bar is either loose and swinging or cranked down into a locked position. I experimented with wrapping plumbers tape on the bar's threads and that seemed to work for awhile, but the tape would, of course, wear off after a short time. I've also read that some folks drop a tremelo spring into the threaded hole before threading on the arm but that seems a bit dodgy.
Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

Kahler arm query Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kahler arm query   Kahler arm query EmptyFri Dec 27, 2019 8:43 pm

A great question Juan, and not one that is easy to answer. I have seen guys (some of whom are/were on this very forum) utilize a nut on the arm screwed down onto the cam surface.

You are outlining one of the flaws of the Kahler design, and one that I have been aware of for decades. My arms are floppy from years of use/abuse, and I have resigned myself to one day having to replace the cams. But, I still love 'em. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

Kahler arm query Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kahler arm query   Kahler arm query EmptySat Nov 12, 2022 3:46 pm

Wow. Graveyard here.

I have been on vacation.

Totally smell what your stepping in.

I'll use a cam and arm till I get chatter (space in between the threads in the male and female type parts). I stuck some rolling paper gum around the threads of an arm and ran her into the cam; ni more chatter, and the arm stayed in place @ 6 o'clock till I needed it. It wore out, chatter and swinging around.

I stripped out a cam and ran multiple heli-coils thru it. It worked (held its circular swinging around in place) but it's aluminum so lacks hardness over time. Replaced cam w/ standard conditions we are discussing.

Idk what model I have now (old/hybrid/new?) But it's a 5 string w/ 4 saddles on a 4 string gibson and the bar and cam are perfect! The arm is screwd in so it's not swinging around and has range from parallel w/ strings to 6 o'clock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kahler arm query Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kahler arm query   Kahler arm query Empty

Back to top Go down

Kahler arm query
Page 1 of 1