Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

vocalist woes ... a whole new low.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
madmike

madmike

vocalist woes ... a whole new low. Empty
PostSubject: vocalist woes ... a whole new low.   vocalist woes ... a whole new low. EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 3:40 am

i continue to search.

i've contacted 100's ... still only 3 have actually shown up.

none have had the necessary equipment to be a vocalist.

only one has shown any potential, but she just wouldnt stop bit**in.

we continue to play open mics and repedidly say on stage that we're looking for a vocalist, insted of the regular internet classifieds that end up being a waste of time. at least we're getting out there and playing.

as i stated before, i am open to suggestions from you guys as to alternative hows or wheres we might find a decent vocalist. maybe i'm doing something wrong.

i post ads and respond to others posts. i've changed the cut and paste message that was 3 paragraphs describing the band, what we're looking for, where we are and a link to where the music is posted, to a much more streamlined 4 sentence message, as short as just stating ... we're progressive rock, we need a vocalist with gear, where practice is and a link to our myspace ... since people cant seem to read information in paragraph form, let alone get thru 3 sentences in an e mail. Shocked short or long version ... all the information is there.

so i get a response from an e mail i sent to a potential auditionee last night ... he asked me, "whats the music sound like?" Suspect

after going thru this for the last 2 years, in other matters, when someone tells me i'm inpatient, i just wanna freak out on them.
Back to top Go down
Sly

Sly

PostSubject: Re: vocalist woes ... a whole new low.   vocalist woes ... a whole new low. EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 6:19 am

Would someone in the band be willing to try taking on vocals as well as (or instead of) their instrument. If someone in the band wants to go for it, maybe finding a drummer or guitarist would be eaisier... just a thought...
Back to top Go down
http://www.slyonbass.com/
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: vocalist woes ... a whole new low.   vocalist woes ... a whole new low. EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 7:33 am

well let's add to the frustration then shall we?

6 months we have worked with the drummer, yesterday he says we don't do dance material enough to please "his idea of a bar band"

so what he said was we should dump 20- songs out of our list, and replace them with "dance music", because according to him, the only bands that get any attention are the ones who have the girls up and dancing ---oh my GOD!!!

so yes, I told him we could not change radically like that, and he gracefully packed up his drums yesterday, so now we are stuck once again.

Mike, I can only say: " I FEEL FOR YOU BROTHER"

so lets see in 6 months we have had 2 2nd guitarists, on #2 singer, and now will find another drummer...

whew, good thing I DO NOT do this music thing for income or I would be on the streets begging like the panhandlers I see out there every day.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: vocalist woes ... a whole new low.   vocalist woes ... a whole new low. EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Actually Mike, this has a lot to do with why you see so many musicians struggling so bad while trying to make it. This also is the reason why I don't do serious original projects, other than anything that's just for fun. I've been in numerous original bands, and was even on a record label once, so I've been down that road far too many times. Sure, it's fun, and it can be personally fulfilling, but the amount of frustration along with the work involved made me cynical towards that avenue. At the end of the day, whether it's trying to "make it", or even just getting players all on the same page as you, it's a crap shoot. There is nothing that can guarantee success at any level of it. Much of it is pure luck.

MadMike, I really feel for you. I know you are frustrated, and believe me, you have every right to be. All I can offer is that every time I had even a smidge of good luck in finding players, it was pure deaf/dumb/blind luck, and nothing more. Just follow your heart, stick to your guns, and as long as your patience and energy hold out, hang in there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: vocalist woes ... a whole new low.   vocalist woes ... a whole new low. EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 5:21 pm

I'd be your vocalist if I lived in PA...

Also, sometimes I feel like I'm missing out because I've never had to work with bandmates who are complete a**holes before. I have had that experience of searching for a bandmate for FOREVER. My main band, which has been around for over a year, has never had a permanent drummer. We finally auditioned this guy last week. He was only 12, but he was really good, and probably more mature than the rest of the band (Me and one of the guitarists get into a yo mamma joke contest at least once a practice, and we still laugh hysterically at penis jokes Rolling Eyes)
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: vocalist woes ... a whole new low.   vocalist woes ... a whole new low. EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 6:07 pm

Kugelspot wrote:
I'd be your vocalist if I lived in PA...
MM lives in PA to, just on the eastern side Smile

our drinking age is 21 here, and I already had to go thru that underage, "but he's in the band" stuff for a few years when Ken was playing in our other projects explaining to the owner the schpeel - he'll be 25 next year so those days are done never to return Razz Razz

so no thanks -- I get confused who the teens are here and who isn't cause your replies to many questions here impress me on the structuring, the actual wordage, and your general knowledge of stuff your interested in.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: vocalist woes ... a whole new low.   vocalist woes ... a whole new low. EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 8:47 pm

I started playing in bars when I was 16, so I've had a ton of the old "he might be underage, but he's our bass player" schpiel.

Of course, that was back in the 80's, so I'm an old dog now. Laughing
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: vocalist woes ... a whole new low.   vocalist woes ... a whole new low. EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 4:11 am

thanx for your words of encouragement eric and everyones experience. i need to hear that because our lack of success in this area ... i begin to question if its me. its not. it seems that this is everyones experience across the board.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: vocalist woes ... a whole new low.   vocalist woes ... a whole new low. EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm not being dramatic when I say that it really does happen to everyone in the biz. In fact, it is the rule, rather than the exception. This is why there are so many bands that have had numerous member changes over the course of their careers.

Remember, your success is NOT assured by the amount of hard work and dedication you personally apply. Those things only increase the odds in your favor, but not by much. It's kind of like playing the lottery. You play, say, five sets of numbers for a few years without winning the jackpot, so you decide to "go all out", and play ten sets. Yes, you have increased your chances of success, but only by a very tiny amount. Playing with a band is much the same way. Now, I'm not saying that it's as difficult as winning the lottery, but I think you can see what I mean. It's still a crap shoot that is still most heavily governed by a lot of luck.

We musicians are a moody and egotistical lot. This doesn't mean that we are all complete arseholes when it comes to our attitudes, but we are still seeking our own personal satisfaction in what we do. And one persons idea of success isn't going to be the same as anyone else, so you have conflicts. And this is assuming that you can find others that are even close to the same mission statement of the group as you are!

So, am I saying that you shouldn't work hard and try? Absolutely not. Because if you don't work hard at it, you will most certainly fail.

Am I somebody famous? Certainly not! I'm some hack who happens to play bass in an unconventional manner. I'm not going to become the next "somebody", and that is perfectly fine with me. Why? Simple. Because, no matter what situation I am in, I still do what I want to do. And so, my success is in my own personal satisfaction in doing it my way. Yes, I have gone through many, many bands and players with this attitude, and yes it is selfish, but it should be! Just as any of you should strive to do what it is that you want to do, because it is your music, your playing, and your artistic expression.

So no, it is not you, MadMike. It is simply the way of things. And even if you don't ever reach that magickal pinnacle of the "perfect situation", so what? You will still create a lot of great experiences, memories, and stories that you can one day wax poetic about. Just like I do. I didn't go to college, or become really successful at many things in my Life. But I've seen, done, and experienced things that most only imagine, and that is so worth it to me! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: vocalist woes ... a whole new low.   vocalist woes ... a whole new low. Empty

Back to top Go down

vocalist woes ... a whole new low.
Page 1 of 1