Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!)

Go down 
+2
amimbari
hip63
6 posters
AuthorMessage
hip63

Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) Empty
PostSubject: Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!)   Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 3:40 am

I signed up a while back but never posted (just kinda got busy).

BUT NOW IS THE TIME!

Much early this year I ran across a bass on Used GC that I couldn't pass up.

An Ibanez (me like ibbys!) SR305FM with a Kahler Trem already installed. They only want $200, so I grabbed it with much haste.

I got the bass and it's generally in good shape for it's age and shows plenty of signs of use. The trem works well. I took it apart and it was definitely a "home" job but they did well enough. Admittedly the action might be a little high (not counter sunk) but I actually like the action a little high on my basses (I detest any fret buzz) and the intonation is there. Other than the trem install, everything else was stock. That has changed since coming into my possession. I ripped all the electronics out and replace with two EMG TWX Pickups (they can be toggled from DC to SC) and a 3 band EMG EQ with sweep-able mids, tone is not a problem! I also installed Sperzel locking tuners. I'm still planning to have a graphite nut installed tho tuning is not currently an issue. And to make sure it was total off the hook, I ordered and installed one of those new extended whammy bars (a dang monster of an arm!) But enough of the jibber-jabber, here's a pic:

Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) Sr305f10

Ok so I like it and it's fun. Plus me and the band have already written a song that calls for this bass as I have plenty of whammy parts in it. Smile

We're also playing around a cover of Jethro Tull's Locomotive Breath and it sounds really cool on the "Wu Wu Wu" parts (you know what I'm talking about!)

But now here something else I want to ask about. I have this other Ibanez bass that just cries out, "I NEED A WHAMMY!!!"

That would be this bass:

Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) Destro10

I mean come on, just look a it! Does that thing cry out "WHAMMY ME" or not? (got all the space in the world too!)

So I've contacting local luthiers trying to find one to do the job. A while back, one guy basically told me that unless I supplied a fancy plexiglass template he wouldn't do it and then proceed to quote me a "what if" price that seemed just too damn high (over $350, sorry but that just seems high for couple of hours work, tops, if that much).

Yesterday I ran across another luthier, running some holiday specials to drum up some new business. He said he could do for a mere $100 including setup. Hey now, that's a deal! BUT he asked what kind of tremolo would he be mounting, I Kahler I said. He replied that if I bought it new, it should come with a routing template. Is that true? I can't seem to find anything to that effect on Kahler's website. If not, is there any place I could get a physical template (not a download diagram)? As additional FYI, I haven't asked him yet if a diagram would be good enough (the first luthier I mention told me no which made me kinda question his skills)

So can anyone help me out with that info?

I'm also eyeballing this one (from Mr. Amimbari here at the forums I believe) and it comes with a template:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Kahler-Bass-Bridge-Tremolo-2400-SERIES-/200988176387?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ecbd43003

Would a 2400 work for this bass, I'm thinking yes but want to be sure.

So what to do, what to do?

hip63 Razz
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!)   Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 4:36 am

hahahaha...

well yes my 2400 with the reverse saddles would easily fit on that thing.
The 2410 I have on my explorer is close to the pickup, the 2400 would sit a little farther back Smile
Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) IMAG0236
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!)   Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 7:14 pm

Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) IMG_4694

Soon as a loothier sez something like template to me .... I walk away.

The template that comes with the kahler (sometimes) is a thin piece of cardboard. Many installs and I have never used it.

Measure scale for intonation and line it all up with a straightedge along the neck. With the cam removed from the kahler (so it sits flat) place it where it needs to be so it can be intonated properly and trace the base of the trem, interior / exterior edges with a pencil right on the bass.

I then route by hand.

Luthier schmoothier.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!)   Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Greetings Hip63! Great to have your posts now! cheers 

I could not agree more. Your red Ibanez is SCREAMING for a trem!
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!)   Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 10:38 pm

I LOVE destroyers. If there was ever a bass to put a trem on....

-Jake
Back to top Go down
Alexander

Alexander

PostSubject: Re: Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!)   Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 10:51 pm

Too true!
Never have to worry about having enough room for a trem on one of those.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!)   Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 3:28 am

as you can see by Mikes post with the blue bass, sometimes it gets a little close to the edge.
like this one....
Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) B3Bh-ggmkKGrHqVhME7y7RpU2BMkq0oboR_3
But I like Kahlers because they make them universal so leftys can use them....
Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) P1010316
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!)   Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!) Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello all, it's my first post! (and a dosey too!)
Page 1 of 1