Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

So now my son wants to play bass!

Go down 
+2
madmike
EricHaven
6 posters
AuthorMessage
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

So now my son wants to play bass! Empty
PostSubject: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 5:56 pm

We had a great visit to California, and I got to spend some very much needed and WAY too long overdue time with my son Dylan:

So now my son wants to play bass! Christ10

So while we were hanging out, he told me that he would like to learn to play bass! Even though I live so far from him, we talk constantly, and his uncle Kurt (my brother-in-law, and former bandmate) is close to him, and might be able to help. I want to get him a starter package with a short-scale bass since he is only 11. You can also see how tall he is standing next to me. I am around 5' 10", so I figured that a full-scale bass would probably overwhelm him. Any suggestions as to what bass to get? I don't want to spend a ton of money until I see that he really runs with it. But I figured that a short-scale bass, and a small practice amp would be a good start.

I showed him some basses, and he zeroed right in on the P bass design. In black, of course. After all, he is my son! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Dood! Thats awesome!

The absolute disaster my life has been, ive always been grateful I didnt have any kids and drag them through that.

Now im 41, married and settled down (somewhat), im a little envious; esp when I hear stuff like this.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 2:17 pm

I dunno, this 8 year old likes his dad's EBMM

So now my son wants to play bass! File

he actually plays it quite well and has a bunch of youtube vids of himself playing dad's various basses:

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks MadMike. He is my little hero. And I don't see your decision not to have kids as anything bad. It is a deeply personal thing, and ultimately, a selfish decision. After all, did our parents ask any of us if we wanted to be born beforehand? Of course not, because they couldn't. I had no idea how things would turn out all these years later, but I can tell you this much. He is, and always will be, what I am most proud of.

That's a great pic, Mike! But since my son hasn't ever really held a guitar, much less a bass, I don't want to overwhelm him. Heck, when I started playing bass at the age of 16, my first bass was a black 19-fret 1978 Fender Musicmaster. I think it was a 3/4 scale, but at any rate, it was a lot shorter than a full-scale bass. And within two years, I traded the Musicmaster for my first Yamaha BB300. The transition worked well for me, so I think I want to start my son on a shorter neck first to see where he goes with it before graduating him to a full-size bass.

Awww....what the heck. If I can't embarrass myself in front of you Guys, who can I? Laughing Here I am in early 1983, still 16, playing in a bar in San Jose CA, with only a handful of gigs behind me, playing my beloved Musicmaster bass:

So now my son wants to play bass! Ericmu10

If only I had possessed the foresight way back then. I still wish I had kept that Musicmaster. It wasn't the greatest bass in the world, but it was my first. I think I still have the original sales tags from when I bought it complete with the serial number. I have often entertained the thought of trying to find that bass again. Yeah, it was used, and a little beat-up, but it was my first bass, and I would have gladly passed it to my son for his first.

So I have been trying to find shorter-scale basses, but they are hard to find. Most of the ones I have seen are only slightly shorter than a full-scale bass, and I'm not sure if the difference is enough to matter. Any suggestions, Guys?
Back to top Go down
bootsox

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 6:48 pm

I was pretty young when I picked up my first bass, and it was a brand new (to me, it was a few years old when I got my hands on it) candy apple red 21-fret 1985 Peavey Dynabass. I didn't really have much trouble, even with that nice fat 34 inch scale.

anyway, as far as short scale basses go, I've found the nicest ones to be the Squier "Vintage Modified" Jaguar SS bass and the Epiphone EB-0, and fortunately neither one of those will break the bank as they can both be had for under $200.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Funny that you mentioned the EB-0 basses Boots, since I did consider them for a bit. But the only thing is that my son really liked the standard P-bass look. I'm guessing that, provided he does run with this, he won't be a Gibson fan. Laughing

Now, the Jag is something I'll have to look into. Great suggestion!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 6:58 pm

You must mean this bad boy, right Boots?

So now my son wants to play bass! Jaguar10

I gotta admit that I love the look!
Back to top Go down
bootsox

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 7:18 pm

That's the one.

I've actually gotten really close to getting one on several occasions but can never bring myself to do it. The only reason I haven't gotten it is because it gets kinda tough to keep everything nice when you've got 13 instruments already.

Another thing to consider if you're willing to get your hands dirty, I've seen people modify existing hardtail strats (it could be done with a tremolo I'm sure, might take some extra work though) to be 25.5" scale basses.
All they do is fill the tuner holes and redrill for bass keys, swap the tuners, nut, and bridge and go with that.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 8:02 pm

hey eric! ..............

nice pants! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

i saw the bass player from gwar's band, without all the gwar makeup and stuff (he was actually in a toga and naked part of the show) playing that same bass you got. he said something about that he borrowed it and that he really liked it and might not give it back.

i'm really digging that amp behind you. sunn?

i thought the jaguars were full scale ...... ???????

the musicmaster was brought back when squires started being manufactured under the name bronco bass. definitely not as nice as the fender.

So now my son wants to play bass! Old-sc10

.... and the fender was made from leftover fender shop parts like a 6 pole strat pickup.

i saw that guitar center has reissue models of this bass ................... for $700! doh!
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:22 am

embarrass yourself in front of us? ah, you can't unless this was a x-rated board and you were naked.

I also used a EB clone modded with 6string gutar pickup in the bridge.
1981:

So now my son wants to play bass! 308770_1912675744209_1461373339_31531741_1570053497_n
funny pic because I am 5'6 and those 2 are over 6'
So now my son wants to play bass! 44962_1403255769028_1461373339_30851987_2569279_n
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 6:27 pm

madmike wrote:
hey eric! ..............nice pants! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hey now! Parachute pants were the thing back in the day! Right around the time they invented running water! Laughing

madmike wrote:
i'm really digging that amp behind you. sunn?

Yes indeed! My first amp was a Fender Bassman 50 head into a Fender 1x15 cabinet. They both had the matching old school glittery tan fabric on the covers. But I sold that for the Sunn, since I wanted to graduate to 100 watts. That head was heavy! But it had great tone, and was loud as all get-out. I think it had about a hundred tubes in it! Laughing The cabinet was a custom build my mom's cousin did for me, and it housed my dear old precious JBL E140's.

Boots, that's not a bad suggestion about modifying a guitar, but I don't want to go through the work. LOL! Last night on the phone, my son told me that he wanted his bass to have a custom Godzilla paint job on it! He is such my little rocker!

amimbari wrote:
embarrass yourself in front of us? ah, you can't unless this was a x-rated board and you were naked

Laughing

By the way Mike, nice hair! Razz Did we even know how goofy we all looked back in those days??? I look at my old pics from back in the day and I think "what on Earth was I thinking???"!

I gotta admit, the more I look at that Jag....the more I like it!
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 6:38 pm

custom godzilla paint job? what would that consist of?

all i can think of is B.O.C.

so yeah, the 16yo jamming picture of me needs to wait ... a polaroid (remember them) of me playing guitar is in my mom's shoebox of pictures. next time i'm up there ill dig it out and scan it.
Back to top Go down
bootsox

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 1:07 am

EricHaven wrote:
madmike wrote:
hey eric! ..............nice pants! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hey now! Parachute pants were the thing back in the day! Right around the time they invented running water! Laughing

If it makes you feel any better, I've still got a pair hanging up in the closet.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 9:50 am

parachute pants? let me take a picture of mine tonight and post it...

( I'll be wearing them ) Smile
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 11:15 am

madmike wrote:
custom godzilla paint job? what would that consist of? all i can think of is B.O.C.

Since he's now going through a Godzilla phase, he has also discovered Blue Oyster Cult. I even got him a best of collection for Christmas, and he loves it!

Now then, about the bass. He said that he wants a head and shoulders view of Godzilla from the year 2000 spitting his radioactive fire. He did also mention that he would like the B.O.C. name somewhere on the bass, maybe forming out of the fire trail. I told him I would work on it. What I might do in order to make it as cheap and easy as possible is see if I can't find a bass pickguard that has Godzilla on it, and slap that on whatever bass I end up getting for him.

I will also ask Andy what he thinks tonight at practice, although there is no way I can afford to have him build me one just yet.

Can't wait to see your modern flashback pic, Mike! Laughing
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 12:49 pm

I just don't have a wig anymore ( or even that much hair )...lol
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 4:43 pm

So now my son wants to play bass! IMAG0672
So now my son wants to play bass! IMAG0669
another "dated" item.....lol

So now my son wants to play bass! IMAG0607
So now my son wants to play bass! IMAG0604
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 5:53 am

Oh my looking back how silly things were, but trying to be so futuristic.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 6:37 am

Im thinking of 1986, a dude jumping out of an airplane, pulling the cord, thinking somthing is wrong, looking up to see the shape of mikes pants cut out of his chute and plumeting to his death..

Ha!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 3:18 pm

Laughing

So getting back to the topic, if I may? Razz Does anyone else have suggestions for a decent starter bass for my son?

Also, has anyone ever seen a bass pickguard with a Godzilla design on it?
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 5:46 am

didn't you buy your Davison for like 150 or so?

This isn't Talkbass so your not gonna get 35 people telling you to get a SquierCV or whatever because a 100 buck Rondo is "so ugly" since they changed the headstock..

you ask me I'd buy him a Ibanez GSR200/300 for 100 bucks. Get AWAY from that stupid Fender look.
I just got that 100 buck Peavy BXP 2 jazz pickup unit...very light, very well put together, and surprisingly minimal buzz out of the cheap pickups.
So now my son wants to play bass! IMAG0629
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 9:35 am

I think the SX's look decent at a decent price and they have short scale.
Back to top Go down
bootsox

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:22 am

amimbari wrote:
didn't you buy your Davison for like 150 or so?

This isn't Talkbass so your not gonna get 35 people telling you to get a SquierCV or whatever because a 100 buck Rondo is "so ugly" since they changed the headstock..

you ask me I'd buy him a Ibanez GSR200/300 for 100 bucks. Get AWAY from that stupid Fender look.
I just got that 100 buck Peavy BXP 2 jazz pickup unit...very light, very well put together, and surprisingly minimal buzz out of the cheap pickups.
I'm gonna have to suggest against an Ibanez in that price range. They don't pick up in quality until around $350. Any cheaper and you get a load of problems with them in my experience.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:32 pm

I dunno Bootz, I had those GSR 200 + 300 perfect in every way up to the day I sold them.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm considering this:

http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa1bkjrpack.html

Less than $150 with shipping.

Opinions?
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 7:10 pm

That will definately get him started.

I like it.

Reminds me of my p from the occupants days.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 4:08 am

p.e.r.f.e.c.t Smile
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Cool.

Now to find a Godzilla pickguard for the bass. Laughing
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Yeah, I looked for godzilla stuff. All I found was pin up girls and 50's sci - fi stuff.

I wonder how they print thay stuff on there / laminate it.

Lemme know what you find.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 4:11 am

I got the perfect solution, let the kid throw 100 godzilla stickers on it.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 7:08 pm

ok, i finally got up to my mom's house to go thru the picture box.

this is from 1987 .......

So now my son wants to play bass! Hondo

...... Laughing

i look like juan esparenza! chek out the mustachio.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Dude! You never told us that you had such a lucrative career as a porn star! Laughing
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 8:38 pm

... and that pic isnt even a wide enuff shot to see my huge .....

Shocked

oh, you mean i look like a porn star.

hey man ... 17 years old and i was scorin big time. what happened?!?!

ha!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm guessing that new guitar you're holding isn't a Strat, right?
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 3:15 pm

No, its a hondo ... and I understand people are actually putting out a bit of cash for some of the models these days. One of the first korean copy companies. Does that make them "vintage"?

This was actually a great guitar.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm not too sure, but I suspect that some models might well be considered collectors items nowadays.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Back to top Go down
Johnny Crab

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 10:14 pm

CONGRATS and support him 110%!!!!

Second the Rondo & stickers.

My son started when my wife said "So which bass can Johnny use?".
I had a parts bass(Hohner Steinberger with a maxed-out trussrod) that he started on.
When he wanted one for High School, we got a Steinberger(5 string wooden one) and he also
ended up being given an Epi Goth(bat bass) for jazz band.
I knew I was beat when I walked in when he was practicing and saw this,
reading music from one monitor while the software(right monitor) played the song.
Software is "Noteworthy" IIRC.
So now my son wants to play bass! JohnnyBass02FXd2

It later resulted in marching band(wireless) his senior year:
So now my son wants to play bass! 100507J01Fxd2

At this time you are only experiencing part of the amazing and rewarding journey it will be.
One cannot put into words the sheer joy you BOTH will feel when you see and hear him perform.
ENJOY!!!
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 7:34 am

did you post that band/marching pic on TB or in another thread here Johnny? that looks very familiar.
Back to top Go down
Johnny Crab

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 4:35 pm

There were a few TB threads on HS Band bassists and one in particular that was about HS Marching Band.
Good memory as that was a couple of years back....
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 6:01 pm

there you go...TB pics Smile
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 7:09 pm

Chek out the big brain on mike!

... wait ...where am I?
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 7:48 pm

hey, just another proud father pic true, how could anybody remember that but who could forget a white uniform and a white FIVE string SB?
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Im really digging the amp on wheels!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 12:34 pm

Me too! It's a portabass!
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 12:41 pm

I ruined one of my cheap SS amps 2 years ago at the Pittsburgh Marathon playing thru a generator. Mad
Although I'm not in that band anymore and won't be playing this year at the Marathon...never again will I do any gig that has to be "generator" power.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So now my son wants to play bass!   So now my son wants to play bass! Empty

Back to top Go down

So now my son wants to play bass!
Page 1 of 1