Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Experimenting,

Go down 
+3
Chowderboots
EricHaven
Darkstrike
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Yvarg

Experimenting, - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 11:29 am

Darkstrike wrote:
EricHaven wrote:
Hold on there, Yvarg. You said that your action gets worse with lighter strings? scratch

Not that I am doubting you, but again, this is one of those things that doesn't make any sense to my tiny brain (remember, I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything). With the decrease in tension that lighter strings afford, the neck should want to bend backwards more, and your action should lower. Can you clarify?

With lighter strings you need higher action to play without buzz, and espcially with trems, because the dives will buzz of the frets quickly otherwise.

What he said.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 4:43 pm

Ah! Got it. Cool

I was thinking in terms of how lighter guitar strings behave, but now it makes sense that you would have action issues using lighter bass strings at that scale.

More learning for me! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 6:36 pm

However, on basses like my Charvel where the neck is rock-solid, when you put lighter strings on it, the neck has about the same relief as when it's strung up with heavier strings.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 6:43 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
However, on basses like my Charvel where the neck is rock-solid, when you put lighter strings on it, the neck has about the same relief as when it's strung up with heavier strings.

Its not so much about the neck, as it is about lower tension strings need more room to vibrate.

You can actually get high tension light strings, if you want the feel of 100's, without the flop, Optima are a prime example! Very Happy Wink
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 6:49 pm

Hmm good to know, dude. What's the deal with Optimas costing as much as a Squier on some sites and as much as a pack of DRs elsewhere?
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Made in Europe, I believe, same way Fenders, and DR's can cost a bomb here.

I had a custom madesix string set of Roto Jazz Flats made, for not much different than a pack of D'Addarios costs here, where as they ain't cheap in the US, IIRC.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 7:26 pm

Yeah DRs normally wind up costing about $20 a pack...but Rotos can range from $15 (nickel) to more like $30 (5 string set).

What do DRs cost over there?

At first, I wasn't sure what to think of RotoSound's revamping of their look and everything, but theymade some price changes (Billy Sheehan strings are cheaper, for example) and they added a couple more custom gauge string sets (Funkmaster--extra light stainless rounds and Drop Zone, which are a set of stainless rounds that are 65-130, to tune a 4 string to B standard) and they're brilliant! I'm excited to get some more Rotos! bounce
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 11:57 pm

Depends on the different types of DR, they're impossible to get locally. 40+ in Germany, IIRC.

Oh and Roto brought out a "Drop Zone +" F#BEA.........
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 12:09 am

Do you know when they'll start selling them? I'm kinda excited, because before, the only company that made strings like that was Warwick, and theirs cost about $60, IIRC. I'm interested in them because I've always wanted a bass tuned an octave below standard. I might not go through with the project, because MXR released a new octave down pedal where the transposed signal sounds like it could (GASP!) stand on its own:

I probably won't get one for a while, though. I've been spending a lot of money on gear lately.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 2:20 am

Darkstrike wrote:
Depends on the different types of DR, they're impossible to get locally. 40+ in Germany, IIRC.

Oh and Roto brought out a "Drop Zone +" F#BEA.........

Oh wow... Shocked

RotoSound's on top of it, man!

And that pedal looks crazy...MXR makes some pretty neat stuff. I'm impressed with their DI/Distortion box, the M-80. Wouldn't really rely on it, but it's fun.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 4:01 am

Try your local dealer Kugelspot, they should be available to order.
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptySat May 16, 2009 5:25 am

Chowderboots wrote:
Getting a longer arm will help you a lot. Hit up fretsonthenet--you can get extra long Kahler bars there. It'll make things smoother and grant you greater range with greater ease. What you can do in addition to that is bend the arm itself at the joint where it veers towards the strings upwards (away from the body when it's screwed in), like a vintage Strat trem bar. I got the idea from Hans here and it's awesome! Makes using the trem easier--it gives you more leverage and greater drop range. If you bent a longer arm up, it would be a vast improvement over what you currently have. Very Happy

Thanks I am going to order one and give it a try
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 5:41 am

I got my arm and it appears to be the same as the original arm. works great. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 9:18 am

You mean it's the same as the older, longer arms or the same as the newer, shorter ones?
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 9:23 am

The original arm is long, the same as the new replacement arm. Somewhere they made them shorter
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 9:30 am

Yeah, I've noticed that, too. The longer arms make all the difference in the world.

Longer IS better! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting,   Experimenting, - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Experimenting,
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Bass Tremolo Family :: Kahler-
Jump to: