Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New here

Go down 
+7
Barklessdog
Mo Beach
Darkstrike
Chowderboots
EricHaven
Kugelspot
System
11 posters
AuthorMessage
System

New here Empty
PostSubject: New here   New here EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 8:56 pm

Hey my fellow low end brothers and sisters. My name is System on here but you can call me thomas if you like. I play bass in a progressive metal band. Although i have not yet installed a tremolo on my bass i plan to really soon. Only problem is that im not sure if i can on my bass without messing it up (I have a 5 string Ibanez soundgear sr305 and want to put a kahler on there so if i can please somebody tell me Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

New here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here   New here EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 9:15 pm

Congrats! You're the first person to join our little community since the old host server suffered a catastrophic failure. Anyway, I don't think the Kahler will mess up your bass. The best thing about kahler trems is that they are cam operated, as opposed to normal fulcrum trems. Because of this, they only require top routing. And they are massive. They actually improve most people's tone and sustain. I don't think the effect will be as pronounced on yours because the bridge is pretty big already, but it definitely won't do any harm.

BTW, don't worry about not having a trem yet. I'm going to put one on my 5 string, once I:
1. Get a 5 string
and
2. save up enough money for a Kahler, and the setup, in addition to the cost of the bass itself.
Back to top Go down
System

New here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here   New here EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 9:31 pm

Really? the 1st one? anyhow i really would like to add a trem to my bass although i honestly dont know how i'd use it other than dive bombs
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

New here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here   New here EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 10:09 pm

System wrote:
Really? the 1st one?
Yep. And Yvarg is the 2nd

System wrote:
anyhow i really would like to add a trem to my bass although i honestly dont know how i'd use it other than dive bombs

Here's something I thought of: Start bottomed out, where your strings barely have enough tension to sustain a note, without playing anything. Then pluck your low B. It will be way out of hearing range, but the audience will definitely feel it. Then slowly come back up. It would be a great intro for a song
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

New here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here   New here EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 10:42 pm

Welcome, Thomas! Glad to have you here!

You're in the right place if you are about to get your first trem. You will find a lot of really useful information here, as well as a lot of humor! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

New here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here   New here EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 11:30 pm

A couple other people have joined. johng and yvarg are new posters...

Apart from divebombs...pull ups? I have been able to get about a step of raise on a 4 string Kahler. A SR would be killer with a Kahler! I want to put one on my BTB sometime soon.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

New here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here   New here EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 3:42 am

Welcome dude.

Other than regular bombs, I use mine as a sound effect, with a lot of distortion, hitting a harmonic, dropping the bar, making a whisling sound, then with all the strings completly slack, start smacking them with my left hand(fretting hand), the distortion can make itr sound like explosions.
Back to top Go down
Mo Beach

Mo Beach

New here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here   New here EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 9:13 am

Welcome, Prog Metal rules! farao
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

New here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here   New here EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 3:12 pm

Quite...just reminded me. A band I've been watching for a while is set to come out with their debut album sometime soon. They are prog-tastic. http://www.myspace.com/futuresendband
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

New here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here   New here EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 7:19 am

Welcome. If you have it done professionally it should work. Just be sure ther is enough room for it behind the bridge.
Back to top Go down
billyy2288

New here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here   New here EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 1:59 am

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

New here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here   New here EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 9:27 am

welcome new members to the Kahler haven, and yep there's a lot of info and a lot of "funny" on here, ya just got to look for it Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
madmike

madmike

New here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here   New here EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 7:32 pm

welcome the both of you.

i'm a progressive player as well. yes, the trem is most effective and noticable with a divebomb (especially if you got the low frequency speakers to blast it). pull ups will be the second thing you'll find. like dog sez, real cool with a harmonic. i've been experimenting lately with left hand hammers and roll offs with slow up and down travel on the bar ... fun stuff. drives the neighbors crazy.

i do installs. my first one was on an ibanez edb 600. it was a royal PI the A. the ergodyne 600 wasnt made out of wood so routering in luthite was a problem.

the scale length and overall neck and body length are similar. the kahler JUST FIT on my ibanez. i had to use a 7410 hybrid. i also had to move the bridge pickup forward about .125". yours looks like the pickup placement will be fine.

looking at that soundgear sr305, the only thing that would concern me (besides the usual recessed mount double rout thing) is the position of the instrument cable 1/4" jack. its real close to the current bridge and i think the base of the kahler is slightly larger ... not that it would overlap it ... but you gotta rout right next to it.

i have a mech drawing with specs for the 7410 hybrid if thaddid help you decide if its gonna fit or not. if your gonna do an install yourself ... do yourself a favor and go out and buy decent tools; dial calipers / depth gauge, decent routing system. i do mine with dremel ... next install for myself, i'm gonna go get a bosch router.

be wary of "professionals" who say they can do a "professional install". ask a lot of questions about how they are gonna do it and bounce what they say off of others who have bass trems. i've seen nightmares.

we are here to help ... and good luck.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

New here Empty
PostSubject: Re: New here   New here EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 11:02 pm

Welcome to BTF, Billy! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
big_mits

big_mits