Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

sound level meters

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
madmike

madmike

sound level meters Empty
PostSubject: sound level meters   sound level meters EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 9:03 pm

allright. i been doing some research and i feel like a lot of this is latin to me.

first and foremost, there are two reasons i want a device like this.

#1 it seems like when i set and adjust a patch in the processor at practice or at home and it sounds like a good level, and i switch it back and forth with the other patch effects in a bank i'll use in a song it all sounds level, but i get out to a gig and hit that patch and i cant hear it ... or its way too loud. now, there are too many pre's and gains from the processor to the actual knobs on the amp(S) and just about any knudge makes a big difference as well as the difference in the dynamics and acoustics of a different room and the actual bumps from moving my rig. not even getting into using a dual amp and cabinet rig.

i need a meter that is conveinent and good enuff to run a dry / dry chanel and get a flat amp / amp level, then run thru the patches i'm gonna use real quick to chek the overall level from patch to patch before a practice / gig.

#2 engineering our band is a real hit or miss proposition. some days we just nail it and it sounds great ... some days there is just so much noise that nothing sounds good. go ahead ... try to tell a guitar player to turn it down; good luck with that. our soundchek involves dominic and i walking in front of the stage and wailing on a power chord at the highest effect peak. if we can hear each other out there ... good enuff.

personally, i just been feeling like i'm batteling with the guitar and drum levels. the biggest problem (and it destroyed the gig friday night) is that the guitar punches thru way too much. when our drummer is playing along with me and the guitar, its fine but when the melody goes away from the rythm (or plays something wrong) our drummer is going along with him ... now its another battle for me keeping the timing and progression correct. personally ... i'de like all the levels to come down, including me. i'de just like everything to clear up so everyone can hear everyone else better instead of it seeming like we're all trying to break thru all the noise.

we need a device to chek everyones levels, find what works and be able to dial in and match those levels no matter what the situation is.

now ... i dont want to spend $500 on a sound level meter. i've even seen real nice ones for $1200. i dont think all this is necessary.

i saw a radio shack model for $60. this model gets good reviews ... but for $60 is it gonna meet the needs for live music. i mean ... what dB range do i need? i dont know how loud our band is. whats this "weigting" thing?

any of you guys use a device like this? what did you use? what were your results? any recommendations?
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

sound level meters Empty
PostSubject: Re: sound level meters   sound level meters EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Actually, I seem to recall a few soundtechs I knew owning Radio Shack sound level meters, and they claimed they worked just fine. For a live band, I think you want something in the range of 90-130 db worth of reading. Live rock bands usually seem to hover around 100 db, if I'm not mistaken.
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

sound level meters Empty
PostSubject: Re: sound level meters   sound level meters EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 7:00 pm

yeah eric ... the RS models are 80 to 130 dB.

i found one even cheaper with the same range ... $30!

but i ask again ... is more money spent well worth it?

lemme ask that another way ......

if i spend $50, in 3-6 months will i wish i spent $100???
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

sound level meters Empty
PostSubject: Re: sound level meters   sound level meters EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 9:49 pm

That's hard to say. I've played with cats that said "if you spend the extra $$$ now, you won't be sorry later". On the other hand, a sound level meter isn't a terribly complicated piece of equipment, so I can't imagine what you would gain by dropping extra coin on one. Plus, I've only had limited personal experience with them, as I never had to worry about the PA system. So I'm not sure what to tell you, Bro. Maybe go with the $50 for now?
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

sound level meters Empty
PostSubject: Re: sound level meters   sound level meters EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 5:05 am

no, they arent complicated things ... but they seem to try to make them as complicated as possible ... "high tech, have you, so they can justify selling units for $300 (?).

i'm sure there are more high tech units available that are for much more specific applications with tighter tolerances.

i do just need something simple. something to get more accurate than my own 40YO years of too loud music dammaged hearing.

thanx eric ... good advise.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

sound level meters Empty
PostSubject: Re: sound level meters   sound level meters EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 6:31 am

go build a powersoak unit and sneak it on the cord from your guitarists amp before it hits the speaker so his 50000 watt H+K sounds like a 50 watt Fender Twin Smile Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
Sponsored content

sound level meters Empty
PostSubject: Re: sound level meters   sound level meters Empty

Back to top Go down

sound level meters
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Shameless Capitalism Division :: Stuff wanted-
Jump to: