Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Go down 
+6
amimbari
BoboMcNipples
EricHaven
madmike
Chowderboots
Darkstrike
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 3:06 pm

I think that most of the bands I've been in since way back in 1984 used to play tuned down, so I am really acclimated to playing in D# tuning. Every so often I'll jam with someone that tunes in E, and it throws me a curve ball, since my trem is more comfortable with the bass being tuned down. And playing tuned down offers several advantages. Vocal parts are easier to hit, since the singer isn't reaching quite so high, and the tension on the strings is lower, making the bass that little bit easier to play. And like Bill said, you do get more growl this way! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 3:22 pm

Yup, I had my acoustic downtuned the other day, heh, who knew an acoustic could growl?! Very Happy

Oh, the bass, its here, in my hands, oh my......................

Light, yet incredibly balanced, neck is thin and flat, radius is flat too.
Action is low, and I maen loooow.
Tone, the neck pickup growls, bridge snarls, both bring the thunder,
eq is fantastic, severly clear, no noise even with treble maxed, mids can add more growl & snarl, boost the bass to pour on thump and mud, treble will make it sparkle........

Yeah, it be the buisness! I love you

One problem, the output was *huge* near blew my amp to pieces, and my amp is by no means small,

I found a gain control, under the control cavity cover, accessible without taking it off too, cut it down, perfect.

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 6:06 am

Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 Photo-0142
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 12:28 pm

Nice, dude!

Yeah I dig down tunigns a lot. Some basses love them, others don't. My Roadstar loves being tuned to D, so does my BTB. The Charvel digs Eb, but my Roadstar is the downtuning king as far as I'm concernted.

I like to practice in E, but it's so much more fun to play in D. You get that extra bit of bendiness, so you can match the articulation of vocals easier, I think.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 2:15 pm

I like tuning to DGCF, more or less to drive the guitarplayers nuts cause I have to transpose everything a couple frets and they cant watch me, but I'm used to it....
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 7:19 pm

Always a good thing. What a Face
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 7:29 am

ya, DS is showing his new toy all over the place ...I think even the TB'ers like it a lot !!!

Well I do also --- WHY?

cause it Don't say Fender on the headstock lol!
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 9:40 am

Damn' straight I'm showing it all over the place! Hell I might just carry it to the shops, and work too!

Oh yeah, the low B roars, so its stayin' B to G.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 1:36 pm

Awesome!

I love it when we can gloat over new toys! lol!
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Sure thats why we buy 'em! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Indeed!

Ooh speaking of which, I'll be getting my Mesa cab next week! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 9:01 am

Nice bass, I love the smokey transparent finish.
Back to top Go down
Mo Beach

Mo Beach

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 11:35 am

I love Roscoe's, a SKB 3006 would be killer! The string spacing looks pretty wide on that 5 string, slappers paradise Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 12:57 pm

I know! That neck looks very comfortable...
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 2:19 pm

Barklessdog wrote:
Nice bass, I love the smokey transparent finish.

Same here, its really cool, looks like a different colour in every light, aqua, sea blue, purple, smoke grey, and anything in between.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 2:23 pm

Mo Beach wrote:
I love Roscoe's, a SKB 3006 would be killer! The string spacing looks pretty wide on that 5 string, slappers paradise Very Happy

Its not *very* wide(I moved from a 20mm, full four string spacing on a fiver), its wide enough to slap though, it can be adjusted from 18.3mm to 17mm, at the moment, I believe its 17.5mm,
slappable, but not a stretch for high strings during regular fingerstyle, and the nut is 1.75 inches.

The sixer's have the same string spacing, not 100% sure of the nut though.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 2:26 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
I know! That neck looks very comfortable...

Its beyond comfy, seriously, this was my last swing at playing fivers, I was ready to chalk them off as clumsy, slow axes, but it payed off, never played one that felt so natural.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 3:27 pm

I still haven't found the magic fiver, yet. Even if I did, I'm still distinctly more "me" on a 4 string bass.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
I still haven't found the magic fiver, yet. Even if I did, I'm still distinctly more "me" on a 4 string bass.

I always thought the same, and maybe its still true(been playing the new one too exclusivly to tell 100%), but I'm finding, suprisingly, I play the same on this one, as I do on my Fender, espcially tapping(doing way too much lately), its odd, but I'm still "me" on this and the Fender, and my Trabens at that, but with my old fiver, and sixer, and one or two basses I don't much like the necks on, I'm much less of a player, not that I am much of one, lol. Part of it, I assume, is my Fender has its string spacing tightened to 18mm, to help tapping, which is close, if not the same, as the Roscoe.
Back to top Go down
Mo Beach

Mo Beach

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 4:15 pm

The Yamaha RBX I got is a comfy 5er. Not much of an investment either so if you don't like it sell it on ebay.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Mo Beach wrote:
The Yamaha RBX I got is a comfy 5er. Not much of an investment either so if you don't like it sell it on ebay.
I've been wanting to try one of them out, besides incredible looks, and their new light body technology, I really want to hear those blade pickups.
Back to top Go down
T. Gunn

T. Gunn

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 6:57 pm

I cannot get over that grape flavored tiger bass dark!
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 7:09 pm

That thing is pretty unbelievable!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 10:03 pm

I wouldn't know whether to play it, or eat it! Laughing

Probably both. Wink
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 1:18 am

EricHaven wrote:
I wouldn't know whether to play it, or eat it! Laughing

Probably both. Wink

It was bigger when I first got it...
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 10:21 am

Maybe you'll find a Tootsie Roll on the inside...
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 4:59 pm

I caught a tasty bass...
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 5:01 pm

Oh no! Fish humor! Laughing
Back to top Go down
T. Gunn

T. Gunn

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 5:01 pm

Damn straight!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 5:04 pm

That's how we roll. Cool
Back to top Go down
big_mits

big_mits

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 5:07 pm

Shocked Man, I'm gone for a few days and DS gets a new bass! Congrats, I am loving that finish.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 5:09 pm

big_mits wrote:
Shocked Man, I'm gone for a few days and DS gets a new bass! Congrats, I am loving that finish.

Don't worry, you haven't missed anything--he's had it since April.
Back to top Go down
big_mits

big_mits

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 5:22 pm

Well, then I guess I better start looking at posting dates, because this just got a lot more confusing. And also, I still missed him getting his bass because I wasn't even apart of this forum in April Laughing
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 4:23 am

Hahahaha, happens me all the time man! I have to watch the op post dates like a hawk now....
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 3:15 pm

Darkstrike wrote:
Hahahaha, happens me all the time man! I have to watch the op post dates like a hawk now....

I didn't even realize that you'd had that bass for that long!
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 3:17 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
Darkstrike wrote:

I didn't even realize that you'd had that bass for that long!

Wait.

*looks at OP*

April.

Neither did I, had you asked, I would have said, "Yeah, its pretty new, three months or so."
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 4:26 pm

Laughing
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 7:26 am

darn old threads getting resurrected.....

at least it is not as bad as TB where the thread is 8 years old, and someone gets harassed about starting a new thread, and by the time people post new posts to the thread, the OP has been birued dead and in the grave...( with all his basses )

like a "new bass day" thread dated 6-10-2002, and someone posts yesterday saying congrats on the new purchase, and like me, never looks at the AGE of the thread..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes!   Something Wicked This Way Comes! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Something Wicked This Way Comes!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Thoughts and Musings :: New Toys!-
Jump to: