Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hmmmm.... hello there!!

Go down 
+2
NoobOnRoad
T. Gunn
6 posters
AuthorMessage
T. Gunn

T. Gunn

Hmmmm.... hello there!! Empty
PostSubject: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 6:41 pm

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620219

Just shot him a pm... lets see where this one goes!
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 7:21 pm

Yeah I wanted it too but when he stated me the price, I wasn't too sure about it. So I didn't buy it out.

But if you have it, a fretless with a trem could be awesome to hear! And to play!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 8:00 pm

Quote :
Upon installation of the bridge/tremolo I realized it significantly raised the string height, so to compensate for the large action I put a shim in between the bolt on neck and body.

Pay attention, Kiddies. Take a good look at the pictures, and I don't even need to say what the problem is. Who wants to take a guess as to the best way of solving this one?
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 8:38 pm

i'de only give him $180 for it ... for the price of the kahler.

actually ... he shud just give it to me to pay for the work i'de need to do to repair it.

furreal, furreal ... he shud just keep it; i got enuff projects going on at any given time.

shims ... what are they? chunks of yardstick?
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 8:39 pm

wow ... that was quite not nice of me.

eh.
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 8:45 pm

It is surely not in need of countersunking.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 8:51 pm

It could use a decent shim for starters and that fingerboard looks a little sketchy, but I couldn't do a better job myself if I tried, so I'm not one to speak. But yikes--that action is a mile high.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 4:57 am

from another thread here "i'm buying a kahler off wammiworld on ebay", then "oh damn I dont have the 100.00 cash", then "oh wow now I guess I could pay double that and then some for a kahler and a crap guitar"...

the only thing that is worth anything like mike said is the kahler, the rest of that junk can be dumped in the dumpster...wammiworld STILL has 3 7410's on ebay for 1/2 of what that junk is selling for.

put a bid of 130 on the chrome one, and I'll bet you will win it...

It is not my guitar BUT if the guy really knew what he was doing, he would have countersunk it in the first place and called it a day....
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 7:17 am

Countersinking can be difficult, even if you have the right tools...but he routed pickup cavities and a neck pocket, I assume. The idea probably never crossed his mind to countersink it.

Is there anything in the Kahler manual that says that you might have to countersink the bridge? And if you aren't a member here or if you don't have a bass with a countersunk bridge, how would you know about that at all? I can't think of many other bridges where you have to/can countersink them as easily as a Kahler.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 8:41 am

must have been a case of I have 80.00 for routing and that's all can you do it?......
and then when it didn't work he didn't want to add more money to the project....could be?.....

only the seller knows for sure Smile

I still think Tommy should just buy one of the ones off ebay and then "call it a day"...or call into his favorite luthier for routing costs.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 3:17 pm

I agree--I wouldn't buy that thing. Just be patient and wait for the right deal on a new Kahler that hasn't been tampered with by anyone before you.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 6:59 pm

a countersink is just simple machine physics.

follow me here ......

if you have a mechanical assembly that operates on a base, it is best to maintain that base in order for it to maintain its integrity. (the kahler sitting on a flat surface; the bass top or a recessed surface)

the same holds true for a neck pocket. the butt end of the neck sits in the pocket and is bolted down so it can have some integrity.

a shim job? i've done them, but not to raise the level of the fretboard. for me, its more to adjust the angle of the action ... maybe like .01 - .05". a few slivers of matchbook cardboard in there isnt gonna comromise the forces on a neck and its pocket too much.

now were talking about sticking wood in there thats .15 - .3" thick to get the fretboard and fret action up to the level of the improperly installed bridge? that neck heel mount is in no way gonna be stable, accurate or consistent.

if the same screws are used, i really hope you dont strip the wood right out of the neck.

i know, i know ... some people here have done it with some success ... thats cool. more power to ya. maybe i'm just more particular. maybe i just look at it like; all this work i need to do to install this thing, i might as well do it the best i can. i might as well figure out how to do it correctly.

i find slapping a kahler on the bass' surface and shimming up the neck to meet it extremely lazy, cheap and half butt. no, kahler doesnt provide much assistance on info about an install ... but cummon; use some calipers and do the math. even after you discover the saddles are too high and it isnt right, dont give up and find a half butt easy way out. i did this ... with the saddles too high ... and i asked for help. someone here told me and i listened. i just had to remove more material ... its not like i routered it out already and it was wrong. i can install a kahler on just about any bass now, correctly, bass surface real estate permitting.

furreal ... if your gonna buy a kahler and install it yourself, go get a decent plunge router (dremels are cheap and work great), find some material to cut some decent templates out of, buy a set of dial calipers with a depth pin on the tail and pick the right bass to do it to. after the price of the kahler, all thats mentioned above runs no more than $150.

......... and practice. with mechanical machining experience, i did a so / so job on my first attempt. i did a much better job on my second attempt.

no boots ... countersinking the base of the kahler into the bass isnt difficult. its just more work and a bit more math.

diddnt they teach anyone anything in shop class in high school?

ya know what ... buy this bass, and use it for practice on properly installing a kahler, before you try an install on a bass you really like.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 7:07 pm

The most I've ever shimmed a neck to get the fretboard higher is the thickness of a business card. I can't imagine sticking anything thicker than twice that in the neck pocket. It makes me shudder.

OK...hold on one second. Take another look at those photos and look at just how poorly the bridge is installed. The whole rear end is just hanging in midair! Tommy--I would seriously advise you not to get it. Offer him the price of the bridge, at most.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 8:29 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
Countersinking can be difficult, even if you have the right tools...but he routed pickup cavities and a neck pocket, I assume. The idea probably never crossed his mind to countersink it.

Is there anything in the Kahler manual that says that you might have to countersink the bridge? And if you aren't a member here or if you don't have a bass with a countersunk bridge, how would you know about that at all? I can't think of many other bridges where you have to/can countersink them as easily as a Kahler.

Honestly, no. There is no mention of possibly having to countersink a Kahler to get it to work properly anywhere in any Kahler literature.

Again, again....here I go again repeating myself ad nauseum....this is why this place exists. People simply do not have easy access to this kind of information, which makes all of You Guys all the more valuable in being here. I really think that it is the storehouse of collective knowledge gathered here that can benefit many bass trem users.
Back to top Go down
T. Gunn

T. Gunn

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 12:26 pm

I thought the FB looked cool. But that is a rather large shim.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 2:03 pm

2 days left and the chrome AND black trems are still 99.00 Wink

BECAUSE:

Done Deal! TB thread closed

Traded for Ibanez Soundwave 100 Combo Amp

so the guy traded some junk for more junk...hahahaha!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
T. Gunn

T. Gunn

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 4:53 pm

amimbari wrote:
2 days left and the chrome AND black trems are still 99.00 Wink

BECAUSE:

Done Deal! TB thread closed

Traded for Ibanez Soundwave 100 Combo Amp

so the guy traded some junk for more junk...hahahaha!!!!!!

Wow.... He turned down my signature bass and accepted a ibanez amp. Just... wow!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 5:16 pm

Bummer! Mad
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 5:02 am

haha I love this review on that junk amp:

"Broken within a month."
Quality:
tweeter will blow within a month of use. If you have active pickups dont even bother, the pre amp cant really handle it.
Desirability:
kickback is neat
Sound:
not loud enough for drums. the sound quiality is good, still not as warm as you would expect.
Ease of Use:
Very easy to use.
Overall:
Its gonna break buy something else

so like I said, junk bass for a junk amp...both units worth 100 or so --BOTH for "spare parts"

and with a day and some hours to go, all 3 trems are still around 100 bucks.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 11:03 am

There are better fish in the sea. The bamboo fretboard was novel, but I'd rather have your "signature bass" any day over that thing!
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 2:39 pm

T. Gunn wrote:
Wow.... He turned down my signature bass and accepted a ibanez amp. Just... wow!

well if you were willing to trade him your bass for his knowing it was a lousy kahler mount ( AND I looked a little more in the pics, and that a$$ end on the kahler sticking up is cause the whole bass body is beveled )

SO, what IS your bass you wanted to trade him anyway?
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 2:58 am

His bass is a low-end Kramer Focus type bass with P/dual J pickups; black with a maple fretboard that he put stickers all over. It looks pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 5:23 am

I found it on TB in one of the old closed threads he started...lol

the one with the black x and the cartoon character on it perhaps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hmmmm.... hello there!!   Hmmmm.... hello there!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hmmmm.... hello there!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Thoughts and Musings :: New Toys!-
Jump to: