Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

I got inspired...

Go down 
+3
Darkstrike
madmike
Chowderboots
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

How should I wire my Hamer?
a) Mono, Will Power P/Mike Lull T w/master tone
I got inspired... - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%I got inspired... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
b) Stereo, mudbucker and P/J, coil tap, series/parallel or in/out of phase switch, no tone control.
I got inspired... - Page 2 I_vote_lcap40%I got inspired... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 40% [ 2 ]
c) Stereo, Gibson-style humbuggys and Will Power P, coil-tap, series/parallel, no tone control
 0% [ 0 ]
d) Stereo, P pickup and Rickenbacker Hi-gain/HB-1 pickups with coil tap and capacitor switches.
 0% [ 0 ]
e) (please specify)
I got inspired... - Page 2 I_vote_lcap60%I got inspired... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 60% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

I got inspired... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Posted this on TB, but for your consideration:

If you refinish it, since you'll want to fill the TOM stud holes, why not take the 3-way out, fill the hole with a dowel, drill a hole for another mini switch (where the three way once was), then you'lll have vol--(3x) pickup on/off--tone.

Then you could make the vol or tone push/pull for coil tap or something...and if you put the Pitbull in the middle, not only would you have a bass with three nasty humbuckers, but with the flick of a switch you could change it to a bass with two nasty humbuckers and a '51P. Wink
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
Posted this on TB, but for your consideration:

If you refinish it, since you'll want to fill the TOM stud holes, why not take the 3-way out, fill the hole with a dowel, drill a hole for another mini switch (where the three way once was), then you'lll have vol--(3x) pickup on/off--tone.

Then you could make the vol or tone push/pull for coil tap or something...and if you put the Pitbull in the middle, not only would you have a bass with three nasty humbuckers, but with the flick of a switch you could change it to a bass with two nasty humbuckers and a '51P. Wink

As I said over on TB, I love this idea, I really do, but, for now I'll go with how I originally planned, but if I do refinish, I'm totally doing exactly as you said.

As for the Pitbull in the middle, I was thinking just as much, I'm definatly digging that idea, I could really go for that. Cool

Lot of thinking to do. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Cool. I'd like to see you do your wiring because that sounds over the top in a useful way. It really maximizes the options from every component.

I'm very curious about what a '51 P would sound like in the bridge. I saw a thread on TB a little bit ago about a guy who made a short scale Stratobass--a scaled-up Stratocaster using a Mustang neck and a self-made body and pickguard. It looked really cool.

https://2img.net/h/i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/PHreef/DSC02563.jpg

He used dummy pickups in the neck and bridge, but I'd like to construct a bass someday with three Fralin '51 pickups in the same positions as the pickups would be on a Strat--under the same nodes. I really want to hear what a SCPB pickup would sound like in the slanted bridge position, but I don't know if the coils would line up with the strings. It might require using a Musicmaster bridge or something like that, but even then, it isn't guaranteed that it'd work.

If it were impossible, I'd just get two Fralin pickups, stick one where the bridge side coil of a dual-coil P would be and the other under the 24th fret harmonic and call it good. If it were on a P bass, then I could change it back to stock if I wanted to pretty easily.

In any case...I would like to hear what a hot SCP pickup would sound like at the bridge! When I put a Pitbull in my Destroyer, if I replace one of the pots with a push/pull pot, I could find out for myself.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 5:36 pm

Oh yeah, I remember the strat bass, damn sweet, a Hipshot bass trem would take it over the top.

I do agree, I'd love to hear how the 51 pickup sounds like in the bridge position, more things to mess with! Cool

Sounds like you have a cool plan, thats something that I'd like to do too, the three single coils in the strat nodes, could be fantastic, I imagine the harmonics would scream from the bridgemost pickup.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 5:44 pm

Darkstrike wrote:
Oh yeah, I remember the strat bass, damn sweet, a Hipshot bass trem would take it over the top.

I do agree, I'd love to hear how the 51 pickup sounds like in the bridge position, more things to mess with! Cool

Sounds like you have a cool plan, thats something that I'd like to do too, the three single coils in the strat nodes, could be fantastic, I imagine the harmonics would scream from the bridgemost pickup.

I haven't logged many hours on Strats (a friend has a Mexican Strat that I've jammed on before, but he doesn't give it much attention 'cos the trem isn't that great and neither are the pickups, so nasty strings, etc), but I know from my friend's '79 Tele, which I adore, that the neck pickup under the 24th fret harmonic (I'm sure there's a name for it, but I know it as "the harmonic that's where the 24th fret would be") really sings and the slanted bridge pickup adds a lot of scream and twang. And I love the out-of-phase middle position and I always think when I play it how rad a bass with those features would be.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 5:55 pm

Yeah, I'm not much of a strat guitar guy, but on bass, I think it'd be great.

But now you got me wanting to try it with a Tele too. Hahahaha.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:20 pm

Maybe a SCP, slanted, in the bridge with one of the Fender mudbucker Ps in the neck...
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:21 pm

Aha!

Like one of the 70's Custom Telecasters!

Hellacious!

What about a bucker right at the bridge, and a SCPB right under 24?
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:29 pm

Darkstrike wrote:
Aha!

Like one of the 70's Custom Telecasters!

Hellacious!

What about a bucker right at the bridge, and a SCPB right under 24?

Oooh yum...if only the pole pieces would line up with Fender bridge spacing, that'd be so awesome!

I always wondered why on basses, the staggered pickup is at the neck and the straight pickup is at the bridge and not the other way around. It makes more sense to me for them to be the other way round.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:31 pm

Beats me, I'd like to see each option possible for both, I like reverse slants too.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:34 pm

Reverse slants would be something else on bass! Tight on bottom, deeper, but still punchy on top. Imagine installing a Rio Grande Powerbucker or Muy Grande Jazz slanted backwards in the bridge position on a bass with a trem...
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:36 pm

Thats something I'd be just all over, some extra power on the high end, definition on the lows, and a whammy to take advantage of it all! Cool
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:39 pm

Darkstrike wrote:
Thats something I'd be just all over, some extra power on the high end, definition on the lows, and a whammy to take advantage of it all! Cool

I feel you...
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:40 pm

Thats what that is! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:43 pm

I was only trying to be friendly! Please don't sue! I didn't know you weren't that kind of guy! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:49 pm

Hey now, I'm not complaining, just suprised is all! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 7:00 pm

You won't shout as I fiddle about? What a Face
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Maybe I will, maybe in a good way.....
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 7:52 pm

Reminds me of that conversation we had over the chat box a while ago. You know, the one about drugs and old naked rock stars in hot tubs?
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Kugelspot wrote:
Reminds me of that conversation we had over the chat box a while ago. You know, the one about drugs and old naked rock stars in hot tubs?

Hahaha err...vaguely? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 8:40 pm

Kugelspot wrote:

....HUH?!? scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 9:26 pm

^ Oh ya... you weren't supposed to find out about that...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG story Laughing
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 8:31 am

I know nothing of what Kugelspot speaks....... Arrow

Ok, maybe I do..... lol!
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 9:36 am

myself and big_mits talk in the chat here and there. fortunately it is not public posting and whatever you say there...stays there..lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I got inspired...   I got inspired... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

I got inspired...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Caught in the act! :: The rest of us!-
Jump to: