Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud

Go down 
+2
Darkstrike
Barklessdog
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud Empty
PostSubject: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 4:31 am

I'm not sure if anyone here has tried one, but I have to tell you it is one of the greatest pickups to use effects with.

The pickup itself has little to no treble, no attack response, just woofy sub bass. It certainly nails the Jack Bruce Cream sound, but I would hardly recommend one for everyday use.

Still no other pickup does what it does, the Model 1 comes close but is a more diluted attempt. Combine a mudbucker with a single coil high out put pickup and you nail the Billy Sheehan sound.

Still I find the real beauty is combining it with fuzz, overdrive or bass synth. You get a wonderful, almost Taurus pedal effect.

Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud Mud

I used it on these two songs for the synth bass, buzz bass & regular bass parts
Crazy idiot bass Player
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=578947&songID=7804811

Avalanche - half way through the song (around 2:00) - using the purple Line 6 guitar synth (totally died after I recorded this)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=578947&songID=5097675
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 8:06 am

Thats a Pitbull at the bridge, IIRC, did you have to rout out extra wood for that, as (also IIRC) the normal bridge pickups in them were minibuckers?
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 8:36 am

It looks too wide (vertically) to be a minibucker, so I'd think it is a pitbull. And yes, I'm pretty sure you'd have to do extra routing for that
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 8:43 am

[quote="Kugelspot"]It looks too wide (vertically) to be a minibucker, so I'd think it is a pitbull. And yes, I'm pretty sure you'd have to do extra routing for that[/quote

For sure its a Pitbull, he's said as much before. Thats why I was asking him about the extra routing...
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

PostSubject: Re: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 8:50 am

Yeah I routed it, I moved it as far away from the bridge as I could without having to notch the pickguard.

Here the way it came from Ebay for $200 including just the Mudbucker & Bridge. It had a new homemade neck grafted on it.

I have a machine shop here at work- Lathe, drill mill, vacuum former, Band saw etc..

Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud Eb

Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud Hobod

Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud Ebwh
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 8:53 am

That is just too awesome! bounce
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

PostSubject: Re: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 8:59 am

I would also recommend the Big D Varitone. It really is helpful when used to shape sounds using effects. Its huge now that he had to use orange cap capacitors now.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 5:10 pm

What you've done to that bass is really sweet.

And I really dig that synthy thing at the end of Avalanche. It sounded a lot like the intro to the Entwistle song "Back On The Road".
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 8:25 pm

I absolutely concur!
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 8:30 pm

do you guys know anything about the (gibson?) darkstar model pickups? they kinda look like the mudbuckers. i had them in my guild ls II and i've always wanted to aftermarket them in another bass.

i'll search for them online tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 8:34 pm

Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 9:19 pm

The Darkstars do look like really cool pickups. I would really love to try one. I'll bet they sound fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 10:27 pm

^ The Lakland Decade has them. Try searching darkstar pickup on Youtube

Also, tonally they're nothing like Mudbuckers. They're not even humbuckers of any sort
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 10:33 pm

Mhmm! I've seen/heard them, but not in person. I'd like to try them out for myself to see how they sound with my playing.

Yeah. The fact that they are single coils attracts me even more. Cool They're so huge for single coils, though...I always wondered about that.
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

PostSubject: Re: Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud   Gibson Mudbuckers - Smell the mud, embrace the mud, be one with the mud EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 3:59 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HJKtLSVHRg