Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The SB corporation EssexSon

Go down 
+2
Darkstrike
NoobOnRoad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

The SB corporation EssexSon Empty
PostSubject: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyMon May 11, 2009 7:31 am

Yeah, another project.... But this time me and my sister put too much time just to let this one go. News will be updated in August. ''Specs are subject to change''

SB corp. EssexSon

Heres the specs.

30 inch scale
21 frets
Wilkinson P/J pickup
No name traben bridge
Pot will be purchased at the time i'll need them
Custom Noob pine body
SX neck

I give you the Gibson SG

https://2img.net/h/i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww219/NoobOnRoad/1.jpg?t=1242051667

With the sx neck

https://2img.net/h/i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww219/NoobOnRoad/2.jpg?t=1242051667

With the bridge and the P/J pups

https://2img.net/h/i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww219/NoobOnRoad/3.jpg?t=1242051668

Without pickguard

https://2img.net/h/i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww219/NoobOnRoad/4.jpg?t=1242051669

Ok, it's not all centered and etc. But my sister did an awesome ''Paint'' job on this.

Note that the final price of this bass will be 250-300$ CDN.

This first build will be surely the crappiest i'll make.

There will be others.

I hope photobucket don't hate me that time....

P.S. SB corp is a fictional company. SB stands for Sophie Bouchard my awesome sister.

Last edited by NoobOnRoad on Mon May 11, 2009 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyMon May 11, 2009 9:53 am

Why have you a Traben bridge on it?
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyMon May 11, 2009 10:36 am

Darkstrike wrote:

because it's the wilkinson bridge.

And for the look. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyMon May 11, 2009 11:19 am

NoobOnRoad wrote:
Darkstrike wrote:

I searched for Wilkinson bridge, and could find none that look like Traben ones... link?
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyMon May 11, 2009 12:59 pm

Darkstrike wrote:
NoobOnRoad wrote:
Darkstrike wrote:

I searched for Wilkinson bridge, and could find none that look like Traben ones... link?

oops i just saw it wasnt a wilkinson.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/4-string-bass-bridge-Black-Metal-look_W0QQitemZ370195953814QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item370195953814&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Just a cheap normal bridge but with the traben look.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyMon May 11, 2009 1:53 pm

Nice, I've not found one in 4 string config before!
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyMon May 11, 2009 4:01 pm

And this will be alive live project when i'll be back in august. (because from june 13th to august 13th i'll be in ontario)

So, I MUST NOT FORGET THAT PROJECT BY ANY MEANS.
Back to top Go down
Mo Beach

Mo Beach

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyMon May 11, 2009 6:27 pm

So it's a bolt on neck? I had a 68 EB-3 that was neck through. Some others I've seen are neck through also.
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyMon May 11, 2009 7:42 pm

yup it'll be bolt-on ,

But, ain't SG bass were with a set neck?
Back to top Go down
Mo Beach

Mo Beach

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyMon May 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Yes they had set necks, might as well be neck through if it came down to changing it.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyMon May 11, 2009 8:35 pm

The neck pocket will have to be modified in some way to accommodate the new neck.

But you have a great choice there! As the owner of an SX bass, I can tell you that their necks are actually quite good!
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyMon May 11, 2009 9:24 pm

One could build a similar thing with Warmoth parts...but it wouldn't feel quite the same.
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyMon May 11, 2009 9:28 pm

^Though you could get an SG body from them. It would be routed correctly and have the right neck pocket, plus great quality wood. You could even have them put finish on it.

EricHaven wrote:
The neck pocket will have to be modified in some way to accommodate the new neck.

But you have a great choice there! As the owner of an SX bass, I can tell you that their necks are actually quite good!

Everything on an SX is good, other than the pickups! That's why I'd recommend them over a Squier (other than maybe the 70's VM Jazz Bass) any day.
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyMon May 11, 2009 10:10 pm

Regarding the neck pocket, I'll do it myself so no problemo.

In fact i'll make the body out of Pine, it does is an experiment.

P.S. I have considered the Warmoth body, but, I want to do the body myself out of Pine (the less costy wood ever) then if it sounds good. I'll build another one but with another body and better pups.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyTue May 12, 2009 7:26 am

Kugelspot wrote:
Everything on an SX is good, other than the pickups!

I like my SX's pickups, a lot, one is an X2N-7...... but I've never wanted to remove the stock P, does what a good P should. Cool
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyTue May 12, 2009 8:29 am

I'll buy a complete SX when they'll throw out the 51P.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyTue May 12, 2009 8:17 pm

Actually, I was also pleasantly surprised at how good the stock SX pickups sounded.

But they still don't sound anywhere near as good as my beloved DiMarzio's. Wink
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyTue May 12, 2009 8:48 pm

EricHaven wrote:
Actually, I was also pleasantly surprised at how good the stock SX pickups sounded.

But they still don't sound anywhere near as good as my beloved DiMarzio's. Wink

Dunno about Dimarzios, but at the budget, let's say i can't afford them.

I tried some Ltd's that had EMG and i am not a fan.

I tried high end SR deries ibanez but the Brats don't make it neither.

The only I LOVED were the Bongo's Humbuckers with their preamps. Tho, i ain't tried them passive.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyTue May 12, 2009 8:56 pm

Yeah...I kinda wish Ibanez loaded their basses with DiMarzio-type PUs still. That'd be cool.
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyTue May 12, 2009 9:19 pm

EricHaven wrote:
Really? I heard that they kept their prices low by using really low quality electronics.

NoobOnRoad wrote:
Were they EMG-Hz's? If it was an LTD, I'm pretty sure they were. Hz's are EMG's line of mediocre passive pickups. Try playing a bass with real EMGs. They are a lot nicer, IMO
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyTue May 12, 2009 9:42 pm

Kugelspot wrote:
EricHaven wrote:
Really? I heard that they kept their prices low by using really low quality electronics.

NoobOnRoad wrote:
Were they EMG-Hz's? If it was an LTD, I'm pretty sure they were. Hz's are EMG's line of mediocre passive pickups. Try playing a bass with real EMGs. They are a lot nicer, IMO

yeah they were Hz. Not a fan at all.

But trying to find a bass here with ''true'' emg will be tough, very tough.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyTue May 12, 2009 11:31 pm

Oh dude yeah the HZs really are not very good sounding. I believe they are the passive variety and they just don't have the juice I expect. But that's how EMG rolls--weak pickups, BEEFY preamps. And hell, it works with their actives. They bring the muscle! And their sound can get so loud and punchy, but the downside is that they don't have the same kind of dynamics or response as DiMarzios or something else like that. Totally different approach and sound, there, from most other pickups.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyWed May 13, 2009 7:39 pm

Kugelspot wrote:

Let me elaborate a bit. When I plugged the bass for the first time, I was surprised at how clear sounding and powerful the pickups sounded. BUT, when I pulled them out to replace them, it was really obvious just how cheaply they are made. They use these really flimsy clear plastic bobbins, and small no-frills magnets. So the construction isn't too great, but the end results are surprising. It just looks like SX was able to replicate a good tone while using the cheapest design possible.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: The SB corporation EssexSon   The SB corporation EssexSon EmptyThu May 14, 2009 1:11 am

I think that's pretty admirable. I think more companies could take a hint from them. Or something.
Back to top Go down

The SB corporation EssexSon
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Thoughts and Musings :: New Toys!-
Jump to: