Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question

Go down 
+2
Jim
Ian Perge
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ian Perge

Ian Perge

Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question Empty
PostSubject: Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question   Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 1:59 pm

As my User Name suggests, my name's Ian (Location: Evansville, Indiana) and if you're also a member of TalkBass you'd might very well recognize me from there, as I'm been a Member for over a decade (and putting it that way, Ugh I'm feeling old... Rolling Eyes ) I've also been a Lurker her for a decent amount of time as I've had the desire for a whammy-fied Bass for a good long time, and now the time has come to start on that "project". However, I have a question that I could use any advice that more knowledgeable members have to give.

For several years I've had the concept for & talked about a dedicated "Efx Bass", combining a Kahler Bass Tremolo along with a Bass Sustainiac for crazy Lead Sounds using effects and the somewhat "distorted"/"grindy" tone of a bowed upright when using clean or light SVT-type Overdrives. Bassist Terry Law on YouTube came up with the same concept independently, has built several basses and has videos up showing the end product of the idea.

Anyway, I've come to the time where I'm ready to tackle this project head-on (the Wife has finished her Doctorate and gotten a significant raise at work, so I'm got some extra "playing around" money cheers ) and would rather try and modify a production bass as opposed to going completely custom to not have this be a high-cost project... but realize that my desire for not just a trem but a Bass Sustainiac as well as a pickup configuration that would work for both makes that a hard search. However, I think I've found the production bass that will work for spacing both the Bass Sustainiac (which must be close to the fretboard end to pick up the string vibrations and "renew" them for lack of a better term) and room at the bridge and back of the Bass for the Kahler to be countersunk and installed.

Could anyone do me a huge favor and take a look at the photos below and give me your opinion on whether there's room at the back between the end of the custom Music Man-type pup (a custom replacement for the original's Bassline's MM-type) and end of the bass to fit and intonate a 7410 trem? (from the owner's measurements there's approximately 4" from the end of the MM pickup to the end of the Bass) I'm about to drop the bomb on this Bass, but realized that making sure the trem install would work... would help. Majorly so. I'm certainly not asking for a definite "Absolutely!" based on some pictures, but "Probably" to "No Way!" would give me a direction to go in the project at this time

Thanks for any help you can pass along to me, and it's good to be aboard!

~Ian

Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question DSCF1278
Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question DSCF1276
Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question DSCF1275.
Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question DSCF1274
Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question DSCF1273.
Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question DSCF1272
Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question DSCF1271
Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question DSCF1270
Back to top Go down
http://www.ianperge.com (ugh)
Jim

PostSubject: Re: Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question   Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 2:42 pm

To me on the eye it looks like the room between the bridge and the pickup should be enough, but....
I am afraid that the room behind the bridge to the end of the body is not sufficient to fit the 7410 Kahler.

However, the things I say aften don't make sense and I am by no means the most experienced guy with Kahler installations here on the forum (only did one and second coming soon) but that's my initial estimate. Madmike will most definitely be able to tell you more, he knows all the ins and outs about these kind of questions! Razz

Edit:

I forgot to say welcome! How rude! Well welcome you are! Good you joined the club!

I did some quick searches on the wammiworld site with measurements:
here

This led me to the conclusion that you need 1,5 inches of free space towards the pickups from the center of you intonation line, and 1,89 inches of free space towards the back of your bass.

When I look at you photo's it looks to me that my initial estimate was right and you have too little space on the back. However as I already mentioned, I may be wrong as I am by no means the most experienced guy around here, buy that's my two cents...
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question   Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:02 am

Im doing this from my phone .... lemme see if thisll work.

7410 specs ....

https://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g457/madmike40/?action=view¤t=kahler7410specP1.jpg&evt=user_media_share

Stoopid photobucket.

Anyhow thatll get you to the specs. All measurements for kahler placement need to start at the intonation line. If you plop the kahler anywhere and the range of the saddles is out of the intonation spot for each string then youll never be able to intonate properly.

Its nice when pickup cavities dont get n the way, but suxx when a kahler is hanging off the back of a body. Guessing (because you dont have the ruler in the right place) that a 7410 will be hanging off the back of this body
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question   Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:10 am

Stupid buffer.

You need at least 1.9" + of body to the back behind the current bridge saddles intonation line. It appears this bass has 1.8" at most.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question   Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 7:39 am

would a 2400 work for him? there IS that one on ebay still....
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
Jim

PostSubject: Re: Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question   Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 8:51 am

For the numbers and measurements Madmike and I used the 7410/2410 measurements wich are the same (correct me if I'm wrong here guys). A 2400 has the forward facing saddles wich would place the base plate even further to the back wich would make it hang over the edge of the body even more. If I'm right that is... Razz
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question   Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 9:03 am

ya that's why I'm tossing the idea out to Mike cause he knows a lot more about this stuff than me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question   Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 6:01 pm

The 2410 and 7410 are rear saddle models and take 1.9" +of of body behind the intonation line.

The 2400 are forward saddles and take even more room (and why i never had one).
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question   Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 12:20 pm

Greetings Ian! Welcome to BTF!

As a diehard fan and supporter of Kahler (so it pains me to say this), I might reluctantly suggest that a Hipshot would fit just fine on your bass.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question   Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Routing city.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question   Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 11:39 pm

Too true. But I'm just looking at the lack of real estate on the bass for a bridge.
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question   Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 2:36 am

Even a hipshot would be close to the back of the bass. Iddid work better than the kahler, i have no hipshot measurements to be sure, but i would suggest finding another bass that a kahler would fit better on.

Plus ... thats a pretty nice bass to sacrifice on a first attempt.
Back to top Go down
SPYD3R #9

SPYD3R #9

PostSubject: Re: Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question   Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 1:36 am

madmike wrote:
Even a hipshot would be close to the back of the bass.
from what i see, hipshot should fit that, but its better to make sure..

madmike wrote:
Plus ... thats a pretty nice bass to sacrifice on a first attempt.
agree! that's what holding me to install a kahler or any tremolo bar.. but i still want to do it badly..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question   Hey there!  New User with a 7410 install question Empty

Back to top Go down

Hey there! New User with a 7410 install question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Introductions and greetings :: Tell us about you!-
Jump to: