Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

finally got around to getting one of these ........

Go down 
+2
EricHaven
madmike
6 posters
AuthorMessage
madmike

madmike

finally got around to getting one of these ........ Empty
PostSubject: finally got around to getting one of these ........   finally got around to getting one of these ........ EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 7:26 pm

i been using just the boss gt-10b processor exclusively for about 2 years now. i really dig this unit ... and i have by far gotten my $500 worth outta it. the overall tone is great and most of the effects are awesome and bass tailored.

shortcommings ........

the output level is touchy. theres all the effects in a chain, how they are placed in the chain and now, on what channel, the compression output level, the eq level, the preamp and the master output volume on the unit. its a lot of places where even just nudging a setting up can make my amp clip or nudge down and i loose all the tone or attack. its just too much stuff and no global way of controlling the output level after everything, going to the amp.

the synth effect, the effect i enjoy using the most, that is factory installed in this unit by boss really stinks. strange ... the individual boss synth pedal for bass isnt bad and the synth effect in the boss me-50b was decent. the overall sound of it isnt the best, but the worst part ... the tracking is horrible.

the unit comes with 12 different models of distortion. i use only 3 ... and all of them deteriorate the more i try to saturate them. saturate? ... lemme clarify. the 3 distortions i use are the metal zone (sounds like guitar distortion), bass fuzz and muff fuzz. saturate, to me, is the waves of the fuzz frequency moving farther apart. now, eric and i have had discussions about distortion tone falling off at the low end ... thus, him and i messing around with 2 channels, one exclusively for holding that low end while overdriven ... i've had minimal success with these boss distortions.

now ... i figured the best way to fix these last two shortcommings is just by using a better effect. today i bought this .........

finally got around to getting one of these ........ 07170010

yes, thats a EHX little muff pi ... i know, great name! ya know what ... awesome sound! my processor has the availability of having a separate effects loop that can be saved in a bank patch ... i just leave it on and when i step on that patch ... BOOM! i removed half of the boss overdrive in effects patches and replaced them with the little muff. there are places where i have it going to just one channel (hf left side), but more important ... two of them i sent it to both. holy sh** ... problems with the bottom end dropping out??? not even close.

now, next, and i gotta save some loot to get it, i'll solve the other problem with a EHX micro synth.

i wanna get an enigma Q envelope filter as well.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: finally got around to getting one of these ........   finally got around to getting one of these ........ EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Cool! I've always been curious about the Big Muff units! Can you post any sound bytes?
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

PostSubject: Re: finally got around to getting one of these ........   finally got around to getting one of these ........ EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 4:36 am

Nice review thanks for sharing it. I always had trouble going over the price of a bass for an effect unit.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: finally got around to getting one of these ........   finally got around to getting one of these ........ EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 8:24 am

glad you got something you like, can work with, and don't put 3000% hiss into the signal Mike.

wow the cost was high, but hell if it works for you, then why not. It's not like you bought it to use once and let sit on the shelf Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: finally got around to getting one of these ........   finally got around to getting one of these ........ EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:39 pm

i'm gonna buy another.

when these units were introduced there was no difference between using it for guitar or bass ... the thing has so much analog low end distorted boom ... it gets me where i'm going. i didnt know any different.

but ... they make a new one specificly for bass now. i'm curious how thattl sound!!!

http://www.ehx.com/products/bass-big-muff-pi

kewl.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: finally got around to getting one of these ........   finally got around to getting one of these ........ EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 10:59 pm

Rock.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: finally got around to getting one of these ........   finally got around to getting one of these ........ EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 12:10 pm

Isn't it ironic how you can spend $500 on a pedal two years ago that doesn't entirely work perfectly, only to turn around and buy a $70 pedal today that fixes the problem? Wink

I used to have a Boss ME-50B, and it worked really well for the most part. But it was a bit complicated, so I ended up pawning the thing. Rolling Eyes

Sound bytes, MadMike? Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: finally got around to getting one of these ........   finally got around to getting one of these ........ EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 3:01 pm

i had a me-50b before i got the gt-10b.

i upgraded because the me-50b had that annoying delay while switching from one patch to the other. the gt is instantaneous. the overall sound quality and control of the levels was much easier out of the me-50b. the synth ... still iffey.

i wish i didnt trade in the me-50 ... i will buy another someday.

soundbytes? ... my guitar player will not relinquish the zoom. i really dont want to use that confounded thing anyhow ... very bass unfriendly / clips easy.

soon enuff tho ... we're going back into the studio next month.

that leads me to another thread ................................................................
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: finally got around to getting one of these ........   finally got around to getting one of these ........ EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 6:25 pm

madmike wrote:
they make a new one specificly for bass now. i'm curious how thattl sound!!!

Here ya go

http://bassfuzz.com/2008/07/12/electro-harmonix-bass-big-muff-pi-review/

If you're interested in buying more fuzz pedals, this is one of the best places to go for reviews, especially for ones made by smaller boutique companies where you won't find a million demos of the pedal on youtube
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: finally got around to getting one of these ........   finally got around to getting one of these ........ Empty

Back to top Go down

finally got around to getting one of these ........
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Thoughts and Musings :: New Toys!-
Jump to: