Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Having fun with alternate tunings!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

Having fun with alternate tunings! Empty
PostSubject: Having fun with alternate tunings!   Having fun with alternate tunings! EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:09 am

Yup, currently I've decided it was time to me to experiment the Fifth tuning. So right now I'm tuning like a Cello but an octave down. And I assure you I'm having fun rediscovering some tunes!!!!

It's also great because you've got a 2 octave range at the first position. Gotta relearn how to walk because the good old patterns are not there anymore! lol!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Having fun with alternate tunings!   Having fun with alternate tunings! EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 11:59 am

Sounds really cool! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
tekkentool

tekkentool

PostSubject: Re: Having fun with alternate tunings!   Having fun with alternate tunings! EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:31 pm

EricHaven wrote:
Sounds really cool! Wink
actually working in fifths could make sense, on guitar i'm working towards using 4-5 places per scaling run on each string, so this could allow for the ability to do that and not repeat notes on the above string
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Having fun with alternate tunings!   Having fun with alternate tunings! EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 7:01 pm

That would be hard for me, considering how long the bass neck is. Maybe on a medium or short scale guitar it'd be really fun, though. I might try that on my Destroyer.

And Tekken: you mean you're playing scales more linear? Do you have a reason for doing that?
Back to top Go down
tekkentool

tekkentool

PostSubject: Re: Having fun with alternate tunings!   Having fun with alternate tunings! EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 7:35 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
That would be hard for me, considering how long the bass neck is. Maybe on a medium or short scale guitar it'd be really fun, though. I might try that on my Destroyer.

And Tekken: you mean you're playing scales more linear? Do you have a reason for doing that?
it's just a method for speed, rusty cooley does it all the time. if i just want to do some wanky shredding i find it's easier and cleaner to do 4 notes per string, it's annoying to work with some scales though. I'm pretty sure i have fairly large hands ( i can reach an octave on a guitar) but even so 5th's might be awkward on a bass.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Having fun with alternate tunings!   Having fun with alternate tunings! EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 12:16 am

I'd imagine you'd just have to change positions a lot more. It could be done. The tunings on shorter-scale instruments are such that they are easy to access because of how short the scale length is. I'm just beginning to pick out some stuff on mandolin and it's comfortable to stretch six frets because it's so tiny, but tuning a bass like that would probably just make it a lot more work to play. I don't know about you, but I have enough trouble keeping my hands strong enough to cope with standard tuning.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Having fun with alternate tunings!   Having fun with alternate tunings! EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 11:29 am

I have a hard enough time keeping my brain in tune with the alternate tunings..the fingers just do the fingering...lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Having fun with alternate tunings!   Having fun with alternate tunings! Empty

Back to top Go down

Having fun with alternate tunings!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Thoughts and Musings :: General sillyness-
Jump to: