Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hey guys :D

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mephas

Mephas

Hey guys :D Empty
PostSubject: Hey guys :D   Hey guys :D EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 11:02 am

So a quick(ish) intro:

I picked bass because i always loved its sounds compared to that of a guitar. after i chose to play bass i tried for like 7 years to get one, but only managed to get one last year to about this date. I currently play an Ibanez Soundgear G10, and i really wanted to put a tremo on a bass. Im always told its a bad idea but wtfe i want to do it anyway
Very Happy
my goal is to get a 6+ string tremo bass Very Happy
I Listen to pretty much anything (especially \m/etal), and im self teaching slap, with decent success.

Im (as of this moment) deciding if i should put a kahler tremo on my bass, but i dont want to mess it up because i have NO idea what i'd be doing, and its my only bass, its my baby! so if any of you guys live in the Phx, AZ area and are willing to help me install it please let me know.

but eitherway

Influences: Victor Wooten, Geddy Lee, Les Claypool, Jaco, John Entwhistle, and Marco Hietala

Favorite bass brand(s): i would have to say Warwick and Ibanez

i think that about covers it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Hey guys :D   Hey guys :D EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 11:51 am

Welcome to BTF, Mephas! cheers

I understand you wanting to be cautious with your only bass, as it is pretty much a permanent thing to install a trem. Personally, I won't ever play a bass without one. My advice is to ask everyone here about their experiences with them to maybe make your decision easier. We're here to offer any help and advice that we can! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Mephas

Mephas

PostSubject: Re: Hey guys :D   Hey guys :D EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 12:55 pm

well the true decision isnt if i should get installed, but if i should take the risk of doing it myself, seeming as i am a DIY type of person, or if i should shed the cash to get it done for me. what i'd prefer would be to meet up with someone who has done it already and have them show me how to do it, that way i can install it myself in the future.

i have always dreamed of having a tremo on a bass, but i didnt know it even existed until i started looking into it. im definatly glad to have a bunch of people thinking as i have. but ever since i found out it was a real thought, im determined to have it done, and have it done ASAP
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: Hey guys :D   Hey guys :D EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 4:56 pm

Right on! Wink

Actually, bass trems have been around in one form or another for quite a long time. We've seen custom jobs going back to the 70's before Kahler came out with their design. Some companies have come and gone, but it is still possible to order bass trems from about half a dozen companies today.

As to whether or not to do the install yourself, I completely understand. It isn't hard to do provided you have the tools and good woodworking experience. But if you have any doubts about it, then I strongly suggest you find a good local luthier to do the work for you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Hey guys :D   Hey guys :D EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 6:42 pm

welcome mephas!

aww cummon eric ... dont hype it up too much. an install aint all that tuff.

mephas ... find yourself a crappy bass to work on before you do an install on your good one.

i just look at it this way .......

kahler $180
dial calipers $40
dremel with a plunge router and attachment and router bit $150
chep bass to learn on $100

thats $390. ask a lot of questions, expect you wont do it perfect, take about a month+ to do the work and learn. now, you not only know how to install, but you'll probably learn more about the instrument itself and how the kahler works.

or .........

i dont know what you spent on your bass .....
kahler $180
$250 - $300 for an install (what i think a decent install shud cost).
the faith that the luthier (?) you find will install it correctly .... priceless.

thats at least $430. hmmm.

i learned on a bass that mattered ... but oh well. my first install job worked ok ... but the bass just needed so many other repairs and i wanted to build a better one from scratch. i put the first one in storage and built this .......

Hey guys :D P12

i was able to do this because of the experience i learned from my first install. all said and done (and it aint ... i still build and rebuild this bass) it cost about $600.

so yeah ... an install yourself is cheaper ... but its also harder and requires some patience ... but the knowledge you gain as a bassist is the most valuable. that and you get to divebomb and gross guitar players out.

my advise ... if you do your own install, dont skimp on getting the correct tools for the job ... including a good measuring divice like 8" dial calipers ... so you can measure everything including the bass you choose before you start routing to know everything is gonna work ahead of time. a dremel router will get the job done ... but there are better plunge routers out there for about $120+ ................

.......... and ask questions and use the guidance from those here who have done their own installs. we are more than happy to help.

if you have someone else do an install ... ask them if they recommend coutersinking the kahler into the surface of the bass. i know you dont really understand this ... but if they dont or give you the confused dog look .... dont let that luthier (?) router into your bass. go find someone else.

my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: Hey guys :D   Hey guys :D EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 6:51 pm

It's really a matter of how replaceable your bass is. The G10 is a pretty cheap bass, so it probably won't be too horrible if you need to buy a replacement. If you feel you could buy a new bass if something happens, by all means go for it. But as Madmike said, PLEASE make sure you know what you're doing before you try to do it yourself
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Hey guys :D   Hey guys :D EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 6:17 am

WELCOME MEPHAS

A trem on a bass? how RETARDED.........

well, until you actually play with one that is...
Kahlers are nice because they were smart 30 years ago, and made them universal for righty AND lefty cheers
Hey guys :D P1010367
Hey guys :D P1010242

For the music I do in my band, it is not anything more than a playtoy, but comparing the sustain of the OEM bridge and now the Kahler...no comparison the Kahler KILLS even if you never use the bar and just use it as an "expensive" bridge!!!

MadMike is right they normally sell for 180 or so, but there are used ones and sometimes a sale that will allow you to buy it cheaper. We use Wammiworld.com as the main supplier, and I bought 2 gold ones off them for 100.00 each when they were trying to move them out cause nobody wanted gold, which made it a no-brainer to add it to my lefty.

and like the others said, if you do it yourself, it would be cheaper. Please post pics of the body so we can see if the trem has enough "room" when replacing the OEM bridge, and as these folks will tell you...sometimes....sometimes, it is easy, no countersinking is necessary ( that means a 1/8 inch ridge you have to cut for the frame beyond the deep hole so the trem sits a smidge lower in the body ), because on some basses if you dont, you'll never get the action low enough. )

there's pictorials, diagrams and such in a lot of threads here in the forum to show you dimensions to measure etc..even if you bought a used trem without the template to guide you.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
Mephas

Mephas

PostSubject: Re: Hey guys :D   Hey guys :D EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 8:41 am

i believe it may need to be countersunk, but either way ill post the pics as soon as i can find my camera and i'm done moving.
but i have to say guys, those are some nice basses. so what kahler bridges would you recommend, cuz i went onto wammiworld.com and i cant seem to figure out which of the tremos is the right one. any help? oh an its a chrome one im lookin for, all the metal is chrome on the bass.

but thanks for all the help youve already given, and thanks for the help i believe you will give Smile
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Hey guys :D   Hey guys :D EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 8:52 am

wammiworld has a chrome one on ebay BIN now for 150...buy it before I do Smile

J/K....

the model is 7410
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
Mephas

Mephas

PostSubject: Re: Hey guys :D   Hey guys :D EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:11 am

Quote :
the model is 7410

thank you ill have to remember that javascript:emoticonp('Very Happy')
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey guys :D   Hey guys :D Empty

Back to top Go down

Hey guys :D
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Introductions and greetings :: Tell us about you!-
Jump to: