Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

question, should a kahler be grounded?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
amimbari

amimbari

question, should a kahler be grounded? Empty
PostSubject: question, should a kahler be grounded?   question, should a kahler be grounded? EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 6:00 pm

I took the thing off to remove the 3rd spring, see what the rout looks like since I got it back etc.....no problems but I wanted to see if the ground wire from the old bridge still has to be there or if I take it off the thing will buzz. I would rather hear your stories rather than put it all together and then have to take it all apart again.

thanks in advance.

cute rout with a dome top instead of a square one, but it is covered and don't matter and on this rout he did not take all the wood out like my black one, he did it like the instructions and only the middle section is deep---lolol

question, should a kahler be grounded? P1010248-1
question, should a kahler be grounded? Cpic001x-6
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: question, should a kahler be grounded?   question, should a kahler be grounded? EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 7:17 pm

My two-cents and experience say absolutely yes. Having the bridge un-grounded will cause buzzing, and if you play with effects, or under flourescent lighting, the buzz can become unbearable.

It might be possible to get away with not having the bridge grounded if you were playing a totally clean and quiet rig in a completely isolated room lit by candlelight. But since having the bridge grounded is really simple, it makes more sense to me to do so.
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: question, should a kahler be grounded?   question, should a kahler be grounded? EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 7:59 pm

ya know when I posted this I actually had to listen to the outtakes nobody sees on youtube for buzz from the black one, and I forgot about that it was so low for gigs it never bothered me, this one is no buzz so I guess 20 years ago when they installed the 2410 on the black one, they never put it on and I never thought to add it...

even though he rebent the bar for lefty, it's still too short - couple steps down only before it hits the guitar and a step up Sad

if the stop screw was longer it would tilt the cam back further then it would dive further before the bar hits the guitar, but I turned it as far as it would go until tight, then backed it off a little cause I thought I might break something.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: question, should a kahler be grounded?   question, should a kahler be grounded? EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 9:36 pm

i had a problem with buzzing with the kahler grounded the standard traditional way.

weird.

i buzzed some of the black plating off the back of the base with a dremel where the wire sits ... this helped.

i dont know what its called or how it works, but my guitar player told me to ground it off a run and not a pot. its silent now.

weird.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: question, should a kahler be grounded?   question, should a kahler be grounded? EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 7:09 am

since I was bored I took the ground off to see what would happen...I couldn't tell any more noise was occurring, but I wasn't floating all over the room getting near the fluorescent lights or TV monitors "trying" to get it to buzz either...

it is back together with the ground on it, and that's the way it will stay Smile
Back to top Go down
COBRARI

PostSubject: Re: question, should a kahler be grounded?   question, should a kahler be grounded? EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 1:14 pm

The Hipshot bridge I have on my bass was installed by Carvin and the plate that the springs attach to
is grouned which grounds all the hardware, including the bridge.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: question, should a kahler be grounded?   question, should a kahler be grounded? EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 1:31 pm

thanks cobrari, ya I assume everything should always be grounded together anyway, but my black one never had a ground on it and never buzzed...
I actually only took it off to see what kind of good/crap rout the guy did, and now that I know it was done right, I'll use him in the future for sure.
now I have to find a longer arm, cause that thing is just too short and it hits the guitar long before it will "spaghetti" the strings, but comes right back into tune, just like my black Charvel always did.
I dunno maybe if I can find a black one, I'll have him install the gold one on my pink lefty --- eww will that be weirder than gold and white, but I'm into weird SmileSmile
Back to top Go down
COBRARI

PostSubject: Re: question, should a kahler be grounded?   question, should a kahler be grounded? EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Amimbari...
My bridge is black and so is the bar.
I ordered a gold bar today. The bass is alder tung oiled and the gold will look slick with it.
I might pick up some bar-stock (rod with the same diameter) and make a couple more bars.
One longer for sure. I have different dia. benders lying around from past projects.
I can't explain it but every song I play now, I got to sneak in some "bending" and if I pick up another bass without a tremelo, it's like something is missing. Later.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: question, should a kahler be grounded?   question, should a kahler be grounded? EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 4:26 pm

yep, after not having it for a while since I got rid of the black bass, this is now a new playtoy as well. At practice I play with it a lot, but our song selection has no real room for "noodling" so it's use on stage is limited for now.
Back to top Go down
tekkentool

tekkentool

PostSubject: Re: question, should a kahler be grounded?   question, should a kahler be grounded? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 6:36 am

amimbari wrote:
yep, after not having it for a while since I got rid of the black bass, this is now a new playtoy as well. At practice I play with it a lot, but our song selection has no real room for "noodling" so it's use on stage is limited for now.
no prog-wanking Sad
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: question, should a kahler be grounded?   question, should a kahler be grounded? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 7:17 am

tekkentool wrote:
no prog-wanking Sad
what's prog-wanking?

Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: question, should a kahler be grounded?   question, should a kahler be grounded? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 2:23 pm

amimbari wrote:
tekkentool wrote:
no prog-wanking Sad
what's prog-wanking?

I want to know too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
tekkentool

tekkentool

PostSubject: Re: question, should a kahler be grounded?   question, should a kahler be grounded? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 3:47 pm

EricHaven wrote:
amimbari wrote:
tekkentool wrote:
no prog-wanking Sad
what's prog-wanking?

I want to know too!

listen all the way through this song and you'll know.

i love frost* Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question, should a kahler be grounded?   question, should a kahler be grounded? Empty

Back to top Go down

question, should a kahler be grounded?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Bass Tremolo Family :: Kahler-
Jump to: