Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds....

Go down 
+2
T. Gunn
NoobOnRoad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds.... Empty
PostSubject: Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds....   Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds.... EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 1:26 pm

You guys maybe know that I've got an EMG 35DC for the bass I'm building with my grandfather. Well I said why the hell I couldn't put it on my Viola!

Well, 1 hour after that great idea. I've got myself a freaking thunderous Viola!!! No more freakin' hum because of the single coil.

The cons: I had to raise the bridge a lot to make room for the pickup to fit because it don't go in the hole. So I've got an action that is a little bit too high for me. Also it's hard to play at the bridge(where I play usually)

The pros: No more hum
Awesome sound!

So! The pickup will probably go off in a couple hours but! I will surely buy 2 emg 35DC to put in it when I'll get back!

I also think I am now sold to EMG.
Back to top Go down
T. Gunn

T. Gunn

PostSubject: Re: Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds....   Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds.... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:05 pm

I hate the EMGs in my spirit. Want em? I'll trade em for Barts!
Back to top Go down
T. Gunn

T. Gunn

PostSubject: Re: Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds....   Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds.... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:07 pm

I hate the EMGs in my spirit. Want em? I'll trade em for Barts!
Back to top Go down
NoobOnRoad

NoobOnRoad

PostSubject: Re: Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds....   Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds.... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:11 pm

What are the EMG's in your spirit?

Edit: just checked, they are selects, no doubt they are good, but I want me sone 35DC's!
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds....   Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds.... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:32 pm

selects = tongue

35's = Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
T. Gunn

T. Gunn

PostSubject: Re: Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds....   Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds.... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Aw... I got baby face pups.

They arn't crisp enough for what they're meant for.
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds....   Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds.... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 7:00 pm

T. Gunn wrote:
Aw... I got baby face pups.

They arn't crisp enough for what they're meant for.

Ya, Selects are weak as hell. I've got some in my Hohner. Sound decent when the thing is in active mode, but pathetic in passive.

I recommend an X2N in the bridge and a Dimarzio D Activator-X Neck in the neck position.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds....   Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds.... EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 6:08 pm

Hmm...an X2N in humbucking won't give you crisp. At least, not what I call crisp. A D-Activator X might be a little bit better, but probably not much. Both pickups were designed to do the same thing--force a tube pre into extreme sag with gobs of low end and super high output. They're two of the highest output pickups that DiMarzio makes. For that reason, they don't play nicely with many solid state amps. You can get them to work, but you have to roll down the volume to keep the preamp from clipping and then you're even farther away from a crisp sound. Coil tapped is a different story. Then, it sounds like a gnarly P pickup, but it isn't a humbucker any more. I think what Tommy G probably wants is a nice set of EMG 'buckers. I'd say EMG HBs, since they're the classic Steinberger pickup, but you can't really get them any more. There aren't a lot of bass buckers that will fit in those routes, but Rio Grande Pitbulls will. I've never had any experience with them, though.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds....   Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds.... EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 9:26 pm

muy grande's

they had a real sweet mid scoop and a decent growl for playing them thru SS like i was at the time.

i want to use them on the next project because i miss them.

no ... they wont fit in the spirit unless some extra routing is excercised.

give the pitbulls a whirl.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds....   Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Just frankeinsteined my Viola a little to see how it sounds....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Pickups, Amps, Strings & Things! :: Pickups-
Jump to: