HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Playing on the pickups

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Barklessdog

avatar

Posts : 393
Join date : 2009-03-27
Age : 57
Location : Chicagoland

PostSubject: Playing on the pickups   Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:28 am

I do this with my Rd but get a different sound - check it out at 1:49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TilJoRxHRXo&feature=related

Lightning Bolt - Wee Ones Parade

Lightning Bolt is definitely an acquired taste. Not exactly first date music.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
amimbari

avatar

Posts : 2066
Join date : 2009-03-21
Age : 57
Location : Pittsburgh, PA

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:37 am

it would take more than "acquiring" to like that noise...certainly good for that Geiger-counter effects box the other thread is talking about...lol

maybe I can also start a fan following by just playing noise only?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://youtube.com/amimbari
EricHaven
Admin
avatar

Posts : 2961
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 51
Location : Birch Bay, WA

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:54 am

amimbari wrote:
maybe I can also start a fan following by just playing noise only?

That's worked for me! Laughing

_________________
Eric Haven
Bass Tremolo/Distortion Abuser
Bass Tremolo Fanatics Site Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:55 pm

Woah that's intense! I appreciate it. I suppose years of rotting my ears with that death metal crap helps me understand that kind of music pretty well on the first listen...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tekkentool

avatar

Posts : 337
Join date : 2010-01-02
Age : 22
Location : tasmania, australia

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:21 pm

you people have no concept of noise, not until you've listened to speed core.


the tempo goes up to around 1000 BPM on some songs. And then after that there's another genre.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Christ, dude...would you call that metal or electronic music?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amimbari

avatar

Posts : 2066
Join date : 2009-03-21
Age : 57
Location : Pittsburgh, PA

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:38 pm

oh GOD Tekken...speedcore is what it's called now?..ha in my day it was some drunk retard playing a 12bit krappy KORG keyboard, minus the record scratching ( TRANCE music ) -- blech!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://youtube.com/amimbari
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:45 pm

It sounds like something you'd hear at a rave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tekkentool

avatar

Posts : 337
Join date : 2010-01-02
Age : 22
Location : tasmania, australia

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:17 pm

amimbari wrote:
oh GOD Tekken...speedcore is what it's called now?..ha in my day it was some drunk retard playing a 12bit krappy KORG keyboard, minus the record scratching ( TRANCE music ) -- blech!!

Yeah, it came out of canada. Evil or Very Mad

And i never used to like trance music, it's matter of finding the right stuff. Goa trance is actually amazing music, it's really organic long trance music popular in the early 90's. IT actually makes scientific sense. The alpha brainwave in the human brain, is stimulated by frequencies between 8-12 HZ. as you guys probably know, that is below the human hearing range. so it can't be directly stimulated by pitch, however, 16th notes at 145 BPM imply a frequency of 10HZ to your brain. listen to enough of this stuff in the right conditions and you can get to alpha state, the same state of mind you get from meditation.

Just give this one a listen, i know it's long Smile

try not to get put off by the fact that the drum line is just 4/4 kick drum, it's nescessary. otherwise it doesn't work.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kugelspot

avatar

Posts : 649
Join date : 2009-03-28
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:33 pm

Barklessdog wrote:
I do this with my Rd but get a different sound - check it out at 1:49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TilJoRxHRXo&feature=related

Lightning Bolt - Wee Ones Parade

Lightning Bolt is definitely an acquired taste. Not exactly first date music.


I love Lightning Bolt! Though I can see why you old geezers wouldn't Laughing. And BTW Amim, he's not using any really out there effects:



I still don't understand how he makes those insane sounds using a bunch of pretty mundane effects (besides the whammy I guess)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
madmike

avatar

Posts : 1746
Join date : 2009-03-23
Age : 47
Location : phoenixville, pa. u.s. of a

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:41 pm

not like this would be completely obvious or anything ...........

lightening bolt?

i really dig it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amimbari

avatar

Posts : 2066
Join date : 2009-03-21
Age : 57
Location : Pittsburgh, PA

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:27 am

tekkentool wrote:
And i never used to like trance music, it's matter of finding the right stuff. listen to enough of this stuff in the right conditions and you can get to alpha state, the same state of mind you get from meditation.

<<<< for me there are other things that takes minutes not hours and does the same thing.


well since I'm 82,495 years older..... trance music ( AKA cheap crappy keyboard generated garbage ) WAS NOT BORN IN THE 90's that junk was already 40 years old thanks to the hippies music in the 60's who took acid instead of ecstasy to get to that "mindstate" -- only thing that changed was the instruments the music was represented with.
reminds me of the rap-crap with dual turntable scratching looping sampled noise...I only give it credit as it DOES take some thought to create that noise, and find followers to buy it.


can you tell I never did like computer music stuff? Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://youtube.com/amimbari
Barklessdog

avatar

Posts : 393
Join date : 2009-03-27
Age : 57
Location : Chicagoland

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:49 am

tekkentool wrote:
you people have no concept of noise, not until you've listened to speed core.


the tempo goes up to around 1000 BPM on some songs. And then after that there's another genre.

That was pretty cool & wild. I am open to any music, although I have a built in resistance toward Hip Hop & Country.As far as trance goes I have always been a fan since it came from Krautrock & http://www.ashra.com/ Manuel Göttsching, where he actually played it.







NEU!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barklessdog

avatar

Posts : 393
Join date : 2009-03-27
Age : 57
Location : Chicagoland

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:55 am

Here is my stab at Trance-

Avalanche-

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=578947&songID=5097675

Things get intersting at the 2:00 min mark, where I use the EB-0 & Line 6 purple synth pedal. I bought it used on Ebay and after doing this song it died & never worked again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tekkentool

avatar

Posts : 337
Join date : 2010-01-02
Age : 22
Location : tasmania, australia

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:42 am

Barklessdog wrote:
Here is my stab at Trance-

Avalanche-

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=578947&songID=5097675

Things get intersting at the 2:00 min mark, where I use the EB-0 & Line 6 purple synth pedal. I bought it used on Ebay and after doing this song it died & never worked again.

That was actually a very interesting piece, the strange industrial sounds you got out of your bass towards the end were amazing, and compared to your normal stuff, it was a lot more....accessable Very Happy

I totally Agree with you about krautrock, I love a lot of music from that era, i was not familiar with the work of manuel gottsching though, thank you for intoducing me, he has a totally unique sound. I'll definitely have to check his music out a bit more.

Actually it totally surprises me you haven't invested in a hardware synthesizer yet, unless you have?


amimbari wrote:
tekkentool wrote:
And i never used to like trance music, it's matter of finding the right stuff. listen to enough of this stuff in the right conditions and you can get to alpha state, the same state of mind you get from meditation.

<<<< for me there are other things that takes minutes not hours and does the same thing.


well since I'm 82,495 years older..... trance music ( AKA cheap crappy keyboard generated garbage ) WAS NOT BORN IN THE 90's that junk was already 40 years old thanks to the hippies music in the 60's who took acid instead of ecstasy to get to that "mindstate" -- only thing that changed was the instruments the music was represented with.
reminds me of the rap-crap with dual turntable scratching looping sampled noise...I only give it credit as it DOES take some thought to create that noise, and find followers to buy it.


can you tell I never did like computer music stuff? Like a Star @ heaven

Actually the creator of LSD, albert hoffman thinks that it's due to people lack of spirituality , that to have a spiritual experience now some people need to take hallucinogens and go to a rave for 8 hours.

There's a very interesting interview with him on the subject, he still believes it has a use in psychoanalysis.

http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v08n3/08330hof.html

However he does have this batshit insane concept of psychedelic spiritual centres.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barklessdog

avatar

Posts : 393
Join date : 2009-03-27
Age : 57
Location : Chicagoland

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:00 am

Actually it totally surprises me you haven't invested in a hardware synthesizer yet, unless you have?

Actually I did years ago but found that synths was too easy to make music, sampled sounds sound great with little effort or ability. To me keybords at bass my level are just buttom pushing, then you get midi and let the programs create the music.

I decided to cast aside keys/samples and concentrate on doing it with the bass & drum loops only.

Thanks about Avelanche, I have split personality, one side is the experimental noise and the other is kind of mellow fusion.


Easy listening (more song structured) Dog -

Blue Note
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=578947&songID=6861067

Way Of The Ninja- Featuring my Fenderbird
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=578947&songID=4411174

Little Larvae Rides Again - kind of a western feel-
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=578947&songID=4239442
Back to top Go down
View user profile
COBRARI



Posts : 15
Join date : 2010-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:54 pm

Billy Cobham/George Duke.... Stratus.
That is what musicians can do with wild electronic equipment.
Total groove. Check out the simple bass playing but try to keep up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:36 pm

I love your Fenderbird jam! The lead is gnarly. That tone instantly makes me think "early-mid 70s Entwistle", although your playing is totally original and groovy as always!!!

And the drums are great, too, especially the outro beats.


The whammy bass on Little Larvae sounds so much like the Basenji squeaks!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barklessdog

avatar

Posts : 393
Join date : 2009-03-27
Age : 57
Location : Chicagoland

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:51 am

COBRARI wrote:
Billy Cobham/George Duke.... Stratus.
That is what musicians can do with wild electronic equipment.
Total groove. Check out the simple bass playing but try to keep up.

I love that LP. Funny that a top 40 session musician would be on a breakthrough fusion LP- Lee Sklar - sure show he knows how to play great bass without gimmicks.

I love simple solid melodic bass playing.

Check this bass part out simple yet really builds the song .




The bass is such a wonderful instrument that really can do what ever you ask of it. There are no more rules.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barklessdog

avatar

Posts : 393
Join date : 2009-03-27
Age : 57
Location : Chicagoland

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:53 am

Chowderboots wrote:
I love your Fenderbird jam! The lead is gnarly. That tone instantly makes me think "early-mid 70s Entwistle", although you're playing is totally original and groovy as always!!!

And the drums are great, too, especially the outro beats.


The whammy bass on Little Larvae sounds so much like the Basenji squeaks!! Shocked

Thanks, I swear the Fenderbird sounds so good, almost like an Alembic, with the maple Mahogany combo. It is also set up with so low action. The bass begs to be up front in the mix.

The lead on the Fenderbird song was my Les Paul through heavy Garage Band reverb. It just soars. I love that bass. You get a great grinding LP tone right out of the box.

I was in a music store a while back & guy who worked there showed me hi CS 59 Les Paul reissue guitar. He plugged it int a little amp & with no effects or messing with controls, cranked out biting Gary Moore playing that was amazing. Its kind of the same with the bass, just plug it in & you get that LP crunchy guitar type tone, but in a bass way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:05 am

Oh! I thought the lead was the Fenderbird, too. The LP has a great, choked up Tbird sound.

Hey, BD--you mentioned Krautrock earlier in this thread. That's a genre I never heard of until I listened to Birth Control, who are described as "proto-Krautrock", but what are examples of that genre? What are the criteria? Is it a specific style/sound or just bands from Germany?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Playing on the pickups   

Back to top Go down
 
Playing on the pickups
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Sammy Davis Jr, playing drums
» Robert Sweet (Stryper) NOT playing on the new album!
» Playing behind the beat.
» Dennis Chambers on Billy's Open Handed Playing
» Tama Superstar

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Tips, tricks, and techniques :: Tricks and techniques-
Jump to: