HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 For your consideration...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: For your consideration...   Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:33 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tekkentool

avatar

Posts : 337
Join date : 2010-01-02
Age : 23
Location : tasmania, australia

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:10 am

Shocked Surprised beautiful!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:29 am

Yeah, man. I'm incredibly envious of anyone with one of those black/white dual pickup Destroyers. They're lookers, alright. The binding really sets off the body shape, which is one of my favorites on guitar or bass. And they look so cool with a Kahler! I don't think I'm going to put a trem on my Destroyer. Maybe if I get a second one.

At least on mine, they really need another one of those circular string trees to keep the A string from vibrating excessively (the E, D, and G strings come off the nut at the same angle, but the A string comes off the nut at almost no angle at all, even if you wind the string pretty far down the post). If I put a trem on one, I'd definitely want to use roller string trees and I don't really like the way those look. I've seen some Ibanez Blazers or old Roadstars or something that came from the factory with two string trees, the first in the normal spot on the D and G strings, the second exactly where I would put it--closer to the nut going across the A and D strings. My guess is that they realized that problem and fixed it for the higher end instruments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tekkentool

avatar

Posts : 337
Join date : 2010-01-02
Age : 23
Location : tasmania, australia

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:16 am

Chowderboots wrote:
Yeah, man. I'm incredibly envious of anyone with one of those black/white dual pickup Destroyers. They're lookers, alright. The binding really sets off the body shape, which is one of my favorites on guitar or bass. And they look so cool with a Kahler! I don't think I'm going to put a trem on my Destroyer. Maybe if I get a second one.

At least on mine, they really need another one of those circular string trees to keep the A string from vibrating excessively (the E, D, and G strings come off the nut at the same angle, but the A string comes off the nut at almost no angle at all, even if you wind the string pretty far down the post). If I put a trem on one, I'd definitely want to use roller string trees and I don't really like the way those look. I've seen some Ibanez Blazers or old Roadstars or something that came from the factory with two string trees, the first in the normal spot on the D and G strings, the second exactly where I would put it--closer to the nut going across the A and D strings. My guess is that they realized that problem and fixed it for the higher end instruments.

I like the look of roller tree's, non invasive but functional.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:16 am

tekkentool wrote:
I like the look of roller tree's, non invasive but functional.

Good point. I probably wouldn't mind them as much on another instrument, but I'm picky about the looks of some axes and in this case, it's hard to imagine this bass without the round string retainers. Having a roller tree or anything else would look out of place to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EricHaven
Admin
avatar

Posts : 2961
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 51
Location : Birch Bay, WA

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Wow! Groovy! And that's an original Kahler 2410 on that thing!

_________________
Eric Haven
Bass Tremolo/Distortion Abuser
Bass Tremolo Fanatics Site Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

avatar

Posts : 1746
Join date : 2009-03-23
Age : 47
Location : phoenixville, pa. u.s. of a

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:33 pm

i like it.

the binding is cool.

this bass is way before the time period of ibanezes that i vowed to never buy again. this is one of the good ones ... quality. i mean ... i'de be pretty confident in saying that i'm sure you couldnt get replacement parts from ibanez for this thing.

i really doubt that the frets are good. 83?

if i bought it i'de give it as much of a rebuild as i could ... it wouldnt be an ibanez anymore then.

the trem is cool!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kugelspot

avatar

Posts : 649
Join date : 2009-03-28
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Nice! Me want!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tekkentool

avatar

Posts : 337
Join date : 2010-01-02
Age : 23
Location : tasmania, australia

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:12 am

i Want one of the original 1979 Ibanez destroyer's in korina.



Now that's a bass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:03 pm

madmike wrote:
i like it.

the binding is cool.

this bass is way before the time period of ibanezes that i vowed to never buy again. this is one of the good ones ... quality. i mean ... i'de be pretty confident in saying that i'm sure you couldnt get replacement parts from ibanez for this thing.

i really doubt that the frets are good. 83?

if i bought it i'de give it as much of a rebuild as i could ... it wouldnt be an ibanez anymore then.

the trem is cool!

Yeah it really is.

Mhmm. Ibanez instruments made between '77 and '87 are as good if not better than the nicest Fender, Gibson, or what have you--then or now. I should know...I've owned a few.

Oh the frets probably have plenty of life in them. I have (or have had) Ibanez basses from '79, '83 (my Destroyer was made in the same year as that one), '84, and '85. All of them had frets in very good condition. The '79 Roadster did have only flats on it its entire life, so the frets are in pristine condition. Even after keeping Rotos or GHS strings on my Destroyer, the frets still have years and years of life left in them. These instruments were really built to last. If you get a Soundgear today, it'll probably serve you well for a long time, but they aren't anywhere near as sturdy as the basses Ibanez used to make. Every new Ibanez I've played, I could bend the neck with my hands while playing it. The necks are sturdy, but I wonder how long a neck that flexible and thin will last. On the other hand, the baseball bat neck on my Roadster is ROCK solid.

The necks on the Destroyers are really rad. Imagine the slimest Jazz bass neck you've played and make it a 32" scale. Talk about slick. The old Ibbys almost always had a little flame figuring on the back of the neck and this is one of them. And the Roadstars had long, skinny, round necks. I've heard from people on TB that they feel almost exactly like 60s Gibson Thunderbird necks. It wouldn't surprise me 'cos it's exactly how I imagined that one would feel. Again, they're all rock solid. If you get an Ibanez from the Fujigen factory (pre 1988), you really can't go wrong if it's in good condition. Like the Charvel Model series basses, they all have the same neck shape, the same attention to detail and quality.

Kugelspot wrote:
Nice! Me want!

Me, too. Laughing

tekkentool wrote:
i Want one of the original 1979 Ibanez destroyer's in korina.



Now that's a bass.

Good luck. They are neat. And they were technically the very first basses with a P/J pickup setup (to my knowledge).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tekkentool

avatar

Posts : 337
Join date : 2010-01-02
Age : 23
Location : tasmania, australia

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:54 pm

I'm not sure it's a jazz actually, to me the bridge/bridge p-up looks like a gibson rip off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:08 pm

I remember reading that it's a single coil pickup, which makes it the first bass with that kind of pickup configuration (P/J). I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tekkentool

avatar

Posts : 337
Join date : 2010-01-02
Age : 23
Location : tasmania, australia

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:20 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
I remember reading that it's a single coil pickup, which makes it the first bass with that kind of pickup configuration (P/J). I could be wrong.

Interesting!

the p looks mighty close to the neck too, it would have a very unique tone...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:14 am

tekkentool wrote:
Chowderboots wrote:
I remember reading that it's a single coil pickup, which makes it the first bass with that kind of pickup configuration (P/J). I could be wrong.

Interesting!

the p looks mighty close to the neck too, it would have a very unique tone...

I'd recommend looking it up if you're curious. I've scoured the Ibanez catalog archive to try and find specs on it, but no dice so far. Check it out for yourself, if you are interested (those lawsuit guitars were made in the 70s, hence the appearance of the Destroyer IIs in the early 80s):

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/list.php?era=70

Yeah I'd love to play one for myself some day, but slim chances--they're really rare, as you probably know.

EDIT: Aha!! Here's some info for ya!

http://www.vintageguitar.com/features/brands/details.asp?AID=2527
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tekkentool

avatar

Posts : 337
Join date : 2010-01-02
Age : 23
Location : tasmania, australia

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:47 am

Chowderboots wrote:
tekkentool wrote:
Chowderboots wrote:
I remember reading that it's a single coil pickup, which makes it the first bass with that kind of pickup configuration (P/J). I could be wrong.

Interesting!

the p looks mighty close to the neck too, it would have a very unique tone...

I'd recommend looking it up if you're curious. I've scoured the Ibanez catalog archive to try and find specs on it, but no dice so far. Check it out for yourself, if you are interested (those lawsuit guitars were made in the 70s, hence the appearance of the Destroyer IIs in the early 80s):

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/list.php?era=70

Yeah I'd love to play one for myself some day, but slim chances--they're really rare, as you probably know.

EDIT: Aha!! Here's some info for ya!

http://www.vintageguitar.com/features/brands/details.asp?AID=2527

That was a really interesting read!

make's me want one more...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:44 am

Haha you're telling me! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tekkentool

avatar

Posts : 337
Join date : 2010-01-02
Age : 23
Location : tasmania, australia

PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
Haha you're telling me! Rolling Eyes

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: For your consideration...   

Back to top Go down
 
For your consideration...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Thoughts and Musings :: General sillyness-
Jump to: