Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New new string day.

Go down 
+2
EricHaven
T. Gunn
6 posters
AuthorMessage
T. Gunn

T. Gunn

New new string day. Empty
PostSubject: New new string day.   New new string day. EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 8:14 pm

So like a dufus I bought a strap and roto swing 66 strings with the tremolo money. I put them on the fretless and just after 15 min of playing I see new marks on the fb. Twisted Evil Ebony slab comin my way! Thing is, my teacher loves rotos so he won't make me switch back to my old strings... and when my fb gets badly marked up, I get an ebony slab. So I've been trying to rip it up as fast as I can (love the sound of ebony) and fresh super slinkies have been working ok but these are great. They are normally like $40 here but they were $23 so I had to buy them.

So yeah.

Half empty or half full?
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: New new string day.   New new string day. EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 11:09 am

Um....hard to say. scratch Although, it would appear to be a good thing, since you've a better board heading your way as a result. OK....perhaps half-full. Wink

Rotos have always been notorious fret and fingerboard killers. There's a an old story of how Rickenbacker suddenly started getting a lot of their basses sent back for neck repairs after owners started stringing them with Roto's as Chris Squire of Yes had begun doing on his Ric, and the necks and frets were being destroyed! Laughing

I love Roto's, and the neck and fret wear is more than worth the tonal results IMHO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

PostSubject: Re: New new string day.   New new string day. EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 11:40 am

T. Gunn wrote:
So like a dufus I bought a strap and roto swing 66 strings with the tremolo money. I put them on the fretless and just after 15 min of playing I see new marks on the fb. Twisted Evil Ebony slab comin my way! Thing is, my teacher loves rotos so he won't make me switch back to my old strings... and when my fb gets badly marked up, I get an ebony slab.

When you do replace the fb, get it epoxied. It will cost a bit extra, but you can use 66s without worrying about destroying your fingerboard
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

PostSubject: Re: New new string day.   New new string day. EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 11:58 am

Kugelspot wrote:
T. Gunn wrote:
So like a dufus I bought a strap and roto swing 66 strings with the tremolo money. I put them on the fretless and just after 15 min of playing I see new marks on the fb. Twisted Evil Ebony slab comin my way! Thing is, my teacher loves rotos so he won't make me switch back to my old strings... and when my fb gets badly marked up, I get an ebony slab.

When you do replace the fb, get it epoxied. It will cost a bit extra, but you can use 66s without worrying about destroying your fingerboard

Not exactly true, its slower, but they'll still affect it, evenually the epoxy will have to be repaired.
Back to top Go down
big_mits

big_mits

PostSubject: Re: New new string day.   New new string day. EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 1:37 pm

Way to get us all excited about you getting a Kahler for nothing, T! Laughing
Back to top Go down
T. Gunn

T. Gunn

PostSubject: Re: New new string day.   New new string day. EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 2:36 pm

LOL haha true! I swear they make me sound 4x better too! Magic strings
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: New new string day.   New new string day. EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 8:23 pm

kugel ... epoxy? on ebony? no, no, no.

ebony is specificly used as a harder wood for fretless basses ... the epoxy is gonna mark up and wear away way before the ebony without a finish at all would.

my fretted warmoth neck is ebony with ss frets because i got sick of fret and fingerboard wear (because i love rotos too!). after playing this bass ... constantly ... really hard ... with roundwound strings ... for about 5 months ... this fretboard and frets dont have a mark on em ... i mean ... still looks as good as the day i bought it. prestine. perfect.

chek out the recommedations warmoth gives as far as ebony and fretless boards. i stand by the unfinished recommedation they give.

and i tell you guys again ... almost the roto tone without the roto wear ....

www.curtmangan.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New new string day.   New new string day. Empty

Back to top Go down

New new string day.
Page 1 of 1