HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
madmike

avatar

Posts : 1746
Join date : 2009-03-23
Age : 47
Location : phoenixville, pa. u.s. of a

PostSubject: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:18 am

whats everyone dressing up as for halloween this year?

pix are expected.

i'm gonna be a hockey player zombie. i'll put the getup on tonite and post a pic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoobOnRoad

avatar

Posts : 256
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 26
Location : MILOT

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:56 am

This year Ozzy Osborne!

Last year I was Buckethead.

2 years ago I was Gene Simmons.

I love being a famous freak! afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amimbari

avatar

Posts : 2066
Join date : 2009-03-21
Age : 57
Location : Pittsburgh, PA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:04 am

we are playing a show next Friday, and this is the first time in 3-4 years I am playing a Halloween show, so I have no clue what I'll be wearing.

Eric "MAY" see me in the gear that he has wanted to see me in for a while now...perfect chance to use it again ---
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://youtube.com/amimbari
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:59 am

I'm probably just going to hang out with my best friend and jam on some stuff. Good, safe fun. Cool

A very wholesome Halloween this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EricHaven
Admin
avatar

Posts : 2961
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 51
Location : Birch Bay, WA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:02 pm

We're going to a club to see some friends of ours play. I don't think we'll dress up, other than as "Linda and Eric". Laughing

Mike....just tell me where to send the check to. Wink

NB! You went as Buckethead? COOL! I actually got to meet him after a gig he did in Berkeley. This was him without the bucket on, just as a normal dude. He was super mellow and cool, and what an unreal guitarist!

_________________
Eric Haven
Bass Tremolo/Distortion Abuser
Bass Tremolo Fanatics Site Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Darkstrike



Posts : 839
Join date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:34 pm

EricHaven wrote:
We're going to a club to see some friends of ours play. I don't think we'll dress up, other than as "Linda and Eric". Laughing

You're dressing up as Linda, and she's dressing up asy you?!



Odd..........



But, whatever keeps you kids happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
madmike

avatar

Posts : 1746
Join date : 2009-03-23
Age : 47
Location : phoenixville, pa. u.s. of a

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:16 am

from what i understand about this getup mike and eric have mentioned before ........

eric, you should throw dollars ........

or maybe nickles.

if you wrote a chek, what would you write in the "memo__________" space?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amimbari

avatar

Posts : 2066
Join date : 2009-03-21
Age : 57
Location : Pittsburgh, PA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:03 am

madmike wrote:
if you wrote a chek, what would you write in the "memo__________" space?

"entertainment fee" ??? lol!

well even though this is not the rant area...our Friday show was overbooked, and they called our singer to tell him they can only have us to do one hours worth...We had to cancel because it takes a hour to actually get to this venue, and it is not worth it to play a party for free for a hour AFTER driving almost an hour to get there.

SO that means in order to fulfill my obligation to you of wearing the "spandex and gear", I will have to just postpone it until I get another video on youtube WITH a proper background, and not the garage wall Smile

OR another gig where it is appropriate to wear that old stuff. ( the youtube vid will be first )
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://youtube.com/amimbari
NoobOnRoad

avatar

Posts : 256
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 26
Location : MILOT

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:37 am

EricHaven wrote:
This was him without the bucket on, just as a normal dude. He was super mellow and cool, and what an unreal guitarist!

O_O

I am jealous, did you saw him without the mask too?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:09 pm

amimbari wrote:
madmike wrote:
if you wrote a chek, what would you write in the "memo__________" space?

"entertainment fee" ??? lol!

well even though this is not the rant area...our Friday show was overbooked, and they called our singer to tell him they can only have us to do one hours worth...We had to cancel because it takes a hour to actually get to this venue, and it is not worth it to play a party for free for a hour AFTER driving almost an hour to get there.

SO that means in order to fulfill my obligation to you of wearing the "spandex and gear", I will have to just postpone it until I get another video on youtube WITH a proper background, and not the garage wall Smile

OR another gig where it is appropriate to wear that old stuff. ( the youtube vid will be first )

Pity that that didn't work out for you. Do you have any backup plans?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EricHaven
Admin
avatar

Posts : 2961
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 51
Location : Birch Bay, WA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:18 pm

Darkstrike wrote:
You're dressing up as Linda, and she's dressing up as you?!

Laughing

amimbari wrote:
"entertainment fee" ???

Either that....or extortion fee. Laughing

And I totally hear you Mike when it comes to not doing gigs that aren't worth it. So hopefully, we'll have some spandex ala Amimbari video to look forward to soon. Wink

NoobOnRoad wrote:
EricHaven wrote:
This was him without the bucket on, just as a normal dude. He was super mellow and cool, and what an unreal guitarist!

O_O

I am jealous, did you saw him without the mask too?
Wink

I did indeed. His true name is Brian, and he was actually pretty normal. Just laid back and modest. He and his girlfriend were putting some gear into his car when we walked up to them. I remember that his hands were enormous, and when he shook mine my own hand practically disappeared! And I absolutely know it was him, since I went with a buddy of mine that knew him, and he introduced us out in the parking lot of the venue afterward. His hair was the same color and length as the guy I saw onstage, and he was just as tall. I told him "you are absolutely incredible, Bro!" He just smiled and said "thanks, Man. I really appreciate that. I just do what I do."

_________________
Eric Haven
Bass Tremolo/Distortion Abuser
Bass Tremolo Fanatics Site Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Darkstrike



Posts : 839
Join date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:49 pm

Buckethead is actually just as slammin' on our low end of the spectrum, too, for those that don't know already.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Oh hell yeah, he's an incredible bassist, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yvarg



Posts : 87
Join date : 2009-03-31
Age : 27
Location : Alta Loma, CA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:54 am

One of my friends suggested that I get a fake fu manchu and go as Toki Wartooth, which sounds better and better the more I think about it. Unfortunately I probably won't be going anywhere on halloween so I probably won't dress up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:07 am

Yvarg wrote:
One of my friends suggested that I get a fake fu manchu and go as Toki Wartooth, which sounds better and better the more I think about it. Unfortunately I probably won't be going anywhere on halloween so I probably won't dress up.

Not a bumblebee!! Do it, man! Do you look like him at all? Or have an addiction to chicken flavored candy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EricHaven
Admin
avatar

Posts : 2961
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 51
Location : Birch Bay, WA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
Yvarg wrote:
One of my friends suggested that I get a fake fu manchu and go as Toki Wartooth, which sounds better and better the more I think about it. Unfortunately I probably won't be going anywhere on halloween so I probably won't dress up.

Not a bumblebee!! Do it, man! Do you look like him at all? Or have an addiction to chicken flavored candy?

....uh....huh??? scratch

_________________
Eric Haven
Bass Tremolo/Distortion Abuser
Bass Tremolo Fanatics Site Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
amimbari

avatar

Posts : 2066
Join date : 2009-03-21
Age : 57
Location : Pittsburgh, PA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:52 pm

Subject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.


if that were true, I could use one day to be a millionaire and the rest of the year would be spent on some exotic equatorial 80 degrees all the time island sipping magaritas spending all the money I earned for one day Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://youtube.com/amimbari
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:57 pm

EricHaven wrote:
Chowderboots wrote:
Yvarg wrote:
One of my friends suggested that I get a fake fu manchu and go as Toki Wartooth, which sounds better and better the more I think about it. Unfortunately I probably won't be going anywhere on halloween so I probably won't dress up.

Not a bumblebee!! Do it, man! Do you look like him at all? Or have an addiction to chicken flavored candy?

....uh....huh??? scratch



"Skwisgaar Skwigelf, taller than a tree/Toki Wartooth, not a bumblebee/William Murderface Murderface Murderface..."



"Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yvarg



Posts : 87
Join date : 2009-03-31
Age : 27
Location : Alta Loma, CA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:04 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
Yvarg wrote:
One of my friends suggested that I get a fake fu manchu and go as Toki Wartooth, which sounds better and better the more I think about it. Unfortunately I probably won't be going anywhere on halloween so I probably won't dress up.

Not a bumblebee!! Do it, man! Do you look like him at all? Or have an addiction to chicken flavored candy?

I have long, brown hair and a somewhat slim face, so the resemblance would be pretty close with a fu manchu. I do not, however, have any candy addictions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kugelspot

avatar

Posts : 649
Join date : 2009-03-28
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:43 pm

^ DO IT! DO IT!

And take pics!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
madmike

avatar

Posts : 1746
Join date : 2009-03-23
Age : 47
Location : phoenixville, pa. u.s. of a

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:56 am

mike,

i understand wanting to get out there and play gigs.

i understand the marketing value of the promotion possibilities of playing with a large fanbased signed act.

i understand the appeal of playing a nice, popular and/or large venue.

but ........

i'de never pay to play.

i dont expect payment ... i'm happy to share my music with people and that is payment enuff ... but a venue would expect me to pay them? thats just crazy ... and a bit rude.

not to mention ... they overbooked and bumped you?

we got bumped for our originally scheduled gig for halloween, so i can relate. booking gigs is not easy on either end so i sympathise ... but with about 10 - 15 minutes effort for the last week, we threw together this ............



not the bands i want booked with us ... and it took way too many phonecalls ... but we booked it .... we can play as long as we want .... theres no pressure .... theres no expectations to fulfill and theres no money involved. this is just everyone getting together, playing music and having a good time.

crud ... i just noticed i forgot the time on the flier. doh!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amimbari

avatar

Posts : 2066
Join date : 2009-03-21
Age : 57
Location : Pittsburgh, PA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:08 am

halloween must have brought out the DEVIL is everyone in the band. ( Let me explain )

I actually have to laugh about it.

we just got notice from our drummer last night that he is too involved with other projects to stay with us...he is gone
no more than 5 minutes after I hung up with him last night, our 1 guitarplayer calls me and says the same thing...he is gone

so I have no stress about any shows in the near future cause it is back to me, my boy, and our singer until we find replacements.

I MUST BE GETTING OLD <<< WHY?

because I didn't argue, bitch, cry, whine or ask "why" they thought they could join our band, then change their minds. I just said ok your out ....bye....to both of them, and that' was that'.


we have 2 shows in Nov one on the 6th which we canceled and one on the 25th which we may be able to salvage if we can find players quick who know our basic material.


I NEVER REGRET NOT MAKING A LIVING OUT OF MUSIC that is FOR SURE!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://youtube.com/amimbari
EricHaven
Admin
avatar

Posts : 2961
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 51
Location : Birch Bay, WA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:40 pm

amimbari wrote:
halloween must have brought out the DEVIL is everyone in the band. ( Let me explain )

I actually have to laugh about it.

we just got notice from our drummer last night that he is too involved with other projects to stay with us...he is gone
no more than 5 minutes after I hung up with him last night, our 1 guitarplayer calls me and says the same thing...he is gone

so I have no stress about any shows in the near future cause it is back to me, my boy, and our singer until we find replacements.

I MUST BE GETTING OLD <<< WHY?

because I didn't argue, bitch, cry, whine or ask "why" they thought they could join our band, then change their minds. I just said ok your out ....bye....to both of them, and that' was that'.


we have 2 shows in Nov one on the 6th which we canceled and one on the 25th which we may be able to salvage if we can find players quick who know our basic material.


I NEVER REGRET NOT MAKING A LIVING OUT OF MUSIC that is FOR SURE!!!

Man....I feel your pain, Brother. Been there, done that myself. Many times.

I also concur with what you said, MadMike. Paying to play? HA! Not on your life!

_________________
Eric Haven
Bass Tremolo/Distortion Abuser
Bass Tremolo Fanatics Site Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

avatar

Posts : 1746
Join date : 2009-03-23
Age : 47
Location : phoenixville, pa. u.s. of a

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:56 am

wow. it sucks to see band members go ... either way.

the first way it sucks is just because of all the wasted effort in finding them, auditioning them and teaching them all the material.

in this way when they leave its just best to say "bye - bye!" and move on instead of "boo - hoo" because of all the effort forthcomming in replacing them.

the second way it sux is if they been around a while, a relationship has been built and that musical "connection" has been made.

dominic and i have become good friends and we're almost at that musical "connection" point. we know what each other are thinking musicly and are gonna do next. i'm grateful that he is committed to our project come hell or high water ... he's a big boy and he's tuff / thick skinned and has stuck it out with everything we've been thru. i'de feel pretty hurt and have an impossible time replacing him if he left.

the "music business" isnt whats so tuff in "making it" ... its getting a bunch of musicians together for long enuff to agree on something and put the work in consistently.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:32 am

madmike wrote:
wow. it sucks to see band members go ... either way.

the first way it sucks is just because of all the wasted effort in finding them, auditioning them and teaching them all the material.

in this way when they leave its just best to say "bye - bye!" and move on instead of "boo - hoo" because of all the effort forthcomming in replacing them.

the second way it sux is if they been around a while, a relationship has been built and that musical "connection" has been made.

dominic and i have become good friends and we're almost at that musical "connection" point. we know what each other are thinking musicly and are gonna do next. i'm grateful that he is committed to our project come hell or high water ... he's a big boy and he's tuff / thick skinned and has stuck it out with everything we've been thru. i'de feel pretty hurt and have an impossible time replacing him if he left.

the "music business" isnt whats so tuff in "making it" ... its getting a bunch of musicians together for long enuff to agree on something and put the work in consistently.

Although I haven't had the breakup experience that you guys have, I've made those musical connections--and I would hate to loose them.

I'm pullin' for you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.   

Back to top Go down
 
why be yourself when theres a holiday to be someone else.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Sombre Holiday
» Billy's Daughter to perform music by Billie Holiday
» Hari Raya Haji(24 Sep '15) Public Holiday Game
» Twas The Night Before a Non-Denominational Winter Holiday
» Holiday Clip From Ted

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Thoughts and Musings :: General sillyness-
Jump to: