HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 BASSINVADERS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kugelspot

avatar

Posts : 649
Join date : 2009-03-28
Age : 25

PostSubject: BASSINVADERS   Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:51 pm

Check these guys out. The bassist from Helloween started a side project. It's a metal band with 3 bassists, vocals and drums. No guitar

Surprisingly un-gimmicky





I had this sort of idea a while ago, but never went through with it. Still, I'm glad someone did, and pulled it off so well Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:00 pm

Oh man...I love Eagle Fly Free! I saw Helloween last year....incredible fuggin concert! Cool Gamma Ray slayed, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkstrike



Posts : 839
Join date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:16 am

Ah, love this cd, Romance In Black is my fave song off it.


Got a nice list or guests in for the solos and such too, Billy Sheehan, and Stu Hamm instantly spring to mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:55 am

Schmier is one of my favorite bassists. I saw Destruction a bit ago. Such a loud show. Damn those guys have some riffs!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EricHaven
Admin
avatar

Posts : 2944
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 51
Location : Birch Bay, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:36 pm

Awesome!

A buddy of mine wanted to do the same thing with me about 20 years ago, but we never did anything with it. He wanted to call the project Big Mouth Bass, and I sometimes wish we had done it.

_________________
Eric Haven
Bass Tremolo/Distortion Abuser
Bass Tremolo Fanatics Site Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Darkstrike



Posts : 839
Join date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:17 am

Kugelspot wrote:

I actually listened to the regular version of this the other week, dissapointed, this all bass version is far suprior.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:50 am

Yeah it does slay, but there's something about Keeper of the Seven Keys that has a special place in my heart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
madmike

avatar

Posts : 1746
Join date : 2009-03-23
Age : 47
Location : phoenixville, pa. u.s. of a

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:54 am

i've attempted something like this, not the same kinda music, with another bassist and a guitarist and drummer.

what a mess!

i think finding the correct bassists that work well with each other is the problem. i dont know if i couldnt get the correct bassist to keep up with me, if i just couldnt figure out exacly what the other guy was trying to do or if overall we werent on the same page ... or even the same book at all. its like the both of us were too good for our own good, but not good at the theory. making it simpler sounded lame. just couldnt find a happy medium.

the guitarist ended up hating the both of us. cheers

these guys are definately on the same page ... nice!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkstrike



Posts : 839
Join date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:43 am

EricHaven wrote:
Awesome!

A buddy of mine wanted to do the same thing with me about 20 years ago, but we never did anything with it. He wanted to call the project Big Mouth Bass, and I sometimes wish we had done it.

You know, thinking about it, I used to do something similar too, never got to a gigging stage or anything though.

Thing was, we done it just one bass, and drums(the drummer was my best mate, who usually plays guitar, so it was kinda role reversal), with me taking all the guitar style leads, and riffs, with lotsa fuzz bass, wah and so on. Then we'd alternate this with me laying back onto a somple riff, and he'd go for a drum lead/solo, kinda halfway between this(bassinvaders) and Clatter, one of the reasons I was originally interested in a trem.

All rock, metal stuff, Pantera and so on.


He's more into straight ahead rock n' roll and blues now, I must see if he'll get back into it, I loved it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:14 am

There is nothing that feels better than locking in with a drummer who's on the exact same wavelength as you. It's magical. I've known my best friend and drummer for 10 years now and that connection can't be beat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EricHaven
Admin
avatar

Posts : 2944
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 51
Location : Birch Bay, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:04 pm

Right on, Bill! I was going to mention Clatter myself! Wink

_________________
Eric Haven
Bass Tremolo/Distortion Abuser
Bass Tremolo Fanatics Site Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:14 pm

Oh Clatter is awesome...bass through a Dual Rectifier is such a crunchy, grindy sound. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkstrike



Posts : 839
Join date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:47 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
There is nothing that feels better than locking in with a drummer who's on the exact same wavelength as you. It's magical. I've known my best friend and drummer for 10 years now and that connection can't be beat.
You've got that one right, just incredible really, it can be the same if you find the right guitarist too, well, different, but that kind of vibe.

EricHaven wrote:
Right on, Bill! I was going to mention Clatter myself! Wink
I thought you might! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:51 pm

If we can find a guitarist who locks in just as well, we've got a band on our hands. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kugelspot

avatar

Posts : 649
Join date : 2009-03-28
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:14 pm

Darkstrike wrote:
You've got that one right, just incredible really, it can be the same if you find the right guitarist too, well, different, but that kind of vibe.

Ya there's a guitarist that I've been working with. We've only been working together for a year, but there's some really good chemistry between us. And we've been through 3 different incarnations of the same band, plus a side project and a couple 1 time things together, so thats got to count for something. Anyway, when you really lock in with another musician, you just feel it, and it's really great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:21 pm

Kugelspot wrote:
Darkstrike wrote:
You've got that one right, just incredible really, it can be the same if you find the right guitarist too, well, different, but that kind of vibe.

Ya there's a guitarist that I've been working with. We've only been working together for a year, but there's some really good chemistry between us. And we've been through 3 different incarnations of the same band, plus a side project and a couple 1 time things together, so thats got to count for something. Anyway, when you really lock in with another musician, you just feel it, and it's really great.

I love the fact that when you're with people you work well with, you can play poorly or differently and it doesn't matter--you still make up for each other's strengths and weaknesses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kugelspot

avatar

Posts : 649
Join date : 2009-03-28
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:59 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
Kugelspot wrote:
Darkstrike wrote:
You've got that one right, just incredible really, it can be the same if you find the right guitarist too, well, different, but that kind of vibe.

Ya there's a guitarist that I've been working with. We've only been working together for a year, but there's some really good chemistry between us. And we've been through 3 different incarnations of the same band, plus a side project and a couple 1 time things together, so thats got to count for something. Anyway, when you really lock in with another musician, you just feel it, and it's really great.

I love the fact that when you're with people you work well with, you can play poorly or differently and it doesn't matter--you still make up for each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Exactly. He used to have really bad timing (Though its gotten a lot better since then). But me and the other guitarist (I gel pretty well with him too, but we have much less in common on a personal level and in musical taste) were able to compensate for it. And my technique is pretty sloppy, but its not as noticable because the other guys are really solid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:06 pm

Working with people who are really gifted or who have a knack that I don't or a different approach...I love it. It's so constructive sometimes. I'm fortunate enough to know a couple people like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EricHaven
Admin
avatar

Posts : 2944
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 51
Location : Birch Bay, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:15 pm

I have to agree completely with you on that, Martin. I've been really lucky to play with so many talented cats who taught me a lot of things over the years. It's great to be able to play with other players who inspire you.

_________________
Eric Haven
Bass Tremolo/Distortion Abuser
Bass Tremolo Fanatics Site Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:36 pm

It's a feeling that can't be beat. As long as I've got that thrill, I can say I'm a happy person.

You could say that I'm addicted to that rush. geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EricHaven
Admin
avatar

Posts : 2944
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 51
Location : Birch Bay, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:57 pm

Is that like, every time we touch? Laughing

_________________
Eric Haven
Bass Tremolo/Distortion Abuser
Bass Tremolo Fanatics Site Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Chowderboots

avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2009-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Kirkistan, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:59 pm

Shut up.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EricHaven
Admin
avatar

Posts : 2944
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 51
Location : Birch Bay, WA

PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:01 pm

lol!

_________________
Eric Haven
Bass Tremolo/Distortion Abuser
Bass Tremolo Fanatics Site Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: BASSINVADERS   

Back to top Go down
 
BASSINVADERS
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Thoughts and Musings :: General sillyness-
Jump to: