Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

So...

Go down 
+3
amimbari
Darkstrike
Chowderboots
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

So... Empty
PostSubject: So...   So... EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 10:27 pm

It's getting to the end of another week, I'm listening to the Black Crowes. I just bought some stuff and just sold some stuff. Got some tea...I'm finally relaxed. Another week and a half and I'm back to college. What are you guys up to?
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 6:27 am

Same thing we do every night Pinky....

Seriously, just put a second mudbucker on order for my Squier VM Telebass, gonna be awesome, thats what I'm up to, as always plannin' mods.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 11:00 am

I'm at work like any other Friday, and when I go home I'm NOT gonna watch re-runs of the 9-11-2001 terrorist disaster to the twinTowers/Pentagon/ShanksvillePA stuff jocolor

I actually recorded RadarLove last night, but when I uploaded it to youtube, it glitched and only got 3/4 of it, so I will re-upload it tonight. ( NO Martin I used the B+M Charvel, not the Kramer ) ---BUT I may do it with the Kramer, and join the 2 together so you can see me play them both in one song.

no t.v. will leave me with one alternative tonight --get ****** up and jam Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
Yvarg

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 1:18 pm

I'll surf the web for far too long, practice playing oboe for my school audition, sit around waiting for the insurance company to call about my car, wish that I had a car to go get materials to finish my stompbox with. Pretty much that same thing I've been doing for most of the week. Neutral
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 4:17 pm

I just got home from work, and Man am I glad to be off for a couple of days!

I think Linda and I are just going to cave this weekend. We have a good-sized pile of yard waste to burn, so that may be the highlight of our weekend. Maybe we'll find some cool movies to watch, play our guitars a bit, just normal stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 6:05 pm

As for me, my pedals came in the mail and I snagged one rad bass off of the TalkBass classifieds as well.

Darkstrike wrote:
Same thing we do every night Pinky....

Seriously, just put a second mudbucker on order for my Squier VM Telebass, gonna be awesome, thats what I'm up to, as always plannin' mods.

Hehehe bad boy. Evil or Very Mad

Sweet! What kinda mudbucker? Where are you going to put it on the bass?

EricHaven wrote:
I just got home from work, and Man am I glad to be off for a couple of days!

I think Linda and I are just going to cave this weekend. We have a good-sized pile of yard waste to burn, so that may be the highlight of our weekend. Maybe we'll find some cool movies to watch, play our guitars a bit, just normal stuff.

Where are you working now, man?

Sweet! I love fires. Cool Sounds like a killer weekend.

Yvarg wrote:
I'll surf the web for far too long, practice playing oboe for my school audition, sit around waiting for the insurance company to call about my car, wish that I had a car to go get materials to finish my stompbox with. Pretty much that same thing I've been doing for most of the week. Neutral

You play oboe, too? Schnikies, man, you're talented!

What happened to your car, dude? Damn, I'm going to have to get one of those soon. Cars are sweet, but what an expensive, pain-in-the-*** of a necessity.

What do you have left to do on your box? The Wooly Mammoth clone, right?

amimbari wrote:
I'm at work like any other Friday, and when I go home I'm NOT gonna watch re-runs of the 9-11-2001 terrorist disaster to the twinTowers/Pentagon/ShanksvillePA stuff jocolor

I actually recorded RadarLove last night, but when I uploaded it to youtube, it glitched and only got 3/4 of it, so I will re-upload it tonight. ( NO Martin I used the B+M Charvel, not the Kramer ) ---BUT I may do it with the Kramer, and join the 2 together so you can see me play them both in one song.

no t.v. will leave me with one alternative tonight --get ****** up and jam Smile

Hmm I hear ya!

I look forward to seeing it. If you don't change the settings on your zoom or mixer, it'll be a cool A/B of the two basses' sounds.

Doesn't sound too bad. tongue I guess you'll pull through, huh? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Chowderboots wrote:
Hehehe bad boy. Evil or Very Mad

Sweet! What kinda mudbucker? Where are you going to put it on the bass?

So... 589686

Think this, but sunburst, and no blocks and binding, and with two extra switches(mini toggles), I'll most likely plant the pickup right on the Stingray sweetspot.

And the pickguard might be somewhat different, in the horns.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 6:21 pm

Darkstrike wrote:
So... 589686

Think this, but sunburst, and no blocks and binding, and with two extra switches(mini toggles), I'll most likely plant the pickup right on the Stingray sweetspot.

And the pickguard might be somewhat different, in the horns.

Oh nice, dude! I've seen that bass...so damn expensive. That's what I don't like is now the pickguard is shaped on that bass. It looks really cool on the Tele Deluxe guitar, but since the bass' dimensions are totally different, the pickguard doesn't fit so gracefully. Not to mention the fact that they aren't using an actual Telecaster shaped body, but a P bass body.

Is this mudbucker a vintage Gibson sidewinder, a modern reproduction, or a completely different beast entirely?

I've noticed that in P basses, the coil that's closest to the bridge (about 5 1/4" away from the intonation line) sounds really sick all along the strings, but I don't know of anyone who specifically puts a pickup at that exact spot, except for the Fender P bass, but the pickup doesn't go all the way across the strings, it's staggered. This position appears to be a bit closer to the bridge than the standard Tele bass pickup placement. I've also noticed that a straight pickup at the bridge doesn't sound nearly as interesting as one that's staggered or slanted.

So, some day, I would like to get a Fenderish bass and put a single coil P pickup at the special spot and maybe grab a Rio Grande Jazz pickup for the bridge position. Then, to top it off, maybe a pitbull or a Tele pickup right by the neck. I think that would be incredible.

Or a bass with two mudbuckers...mmmhh...mud Laughing
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 6:54 pm

40ws played an open mic last night. we were supposed to play for 30 minutes but ended up being up there for more than an hour. jammed on the set + 2 new ones we been fiddeling with.

this part of the gig was horrible in my eyes ... the guys are so dependent on my progressions being solid, so much, that when i have an off night (i made a lot of mistakes ... sorry, i'm not perfect) they just cant freestyle, follow direction (like "one more!" or "1,2,3,4!") or get back on a one beat.

question ... how do i teach this to these guys ... besides making mistakes on purpose at practice???

i just wanted the set to be better ... as always. the pain of being a perfectionist i guess.

the rest of the time onstage was games, promotion, clowning around, talking to people in the crowd, more promotion and telling people over and over that we're playing open mics in an effort to find a vocalist. this was cool. we were giving away 40ws hats that i made at work. i told the crowd, "bring people with disgusting scuzzy hats on to me!" and then the band would decide if their hat was scuzzy enuff so that we awarded them a new 40ws hat.

after the show, people told me they didnt come up because they thought i wanted to take their disgusting hat. Rolling Eyes silly gooses ... why would i want their hat??? dominic suggested something like a hat bonfire on the stage. Shocked

also after the show, we had 2 potential lead singers talk to us. good ... the open mics are working.

i was dead tired at work today but i had a deadline to meet. i'de been running around like a nut all week. i struggled thru it but it was worth it when i finished the job for this fall baseball league, loaded it into this guys truck and he handed my boss a chek for 10 grand. i felt like i earned my keep at work this week.

the deal on my new car fell thru today. i need to find another deal.

car insurance agencies suck. i'm suprised how many companies wont write me a policy without prior insurance. i'm gonna end up high risk pool again.

so its nice that its the weekend. i'm not dooin anything untill band practice on sunday.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 7:31 pm

madmike wrote:
40ws played an open mic last night. we were supposed to play for 30 minutes but ended up being up there for more than an hour. jammed on the set + 2 new ones we been fiddeling with.

this part of the gig was horrible in my eyes ... the guys are so dependent on my progressions being solid, so much, that when i have an off night (i made a lot of mistakes ... sorry, i'm not perfect) they just cant freestyle, follow direction (like "one more!" or "1,2,3,4!") or get back on a one beat.

question ... how do i teach this to these guys ... besides making mistakes on purpose at practice???

i just wanted the set to be better ... as always. the pain of being a perfectionist i guess.

Hey! You're getting out there. That's gotta be the hardest part. You've got an hour's worth of material? Shocked Cripes, man. That's impressive. Bravo!

How long have you guys been working together? I'd say bring what's frustrating you up to them while you're practicing. And if there isn't a way that it can get worked out, then maybe they aren't the right people for your project.

Nothing wrong with being a perfectionist. I, too, seek perpetual improvement--constant change and reorganization of my life. It's not the goal that matters, but the journey.

madmike wrote:
the rest of the time onstage was games, promotion, clowning around, talking to people in the crowd, more promotion and telling people over and over that we're playing open mics in an effort to find a vocalist. this was cool. we were giving away 40ws hats that i made at work. i told the crowd, "bring people with disgusting scuzzy hats on to me!" and then the band would decide if their hat was scuzzy enuff so that we awarded them a new 40ws hat.

after the show, people told me they didnt come up because they thought i wanted to take their disgusting hat. Rolling Eyes silly gooses ... why would i want their hat??? dominic suggested something like a hat bonfire on the stage. Shocked

also after the show, we had 2 potential lead singers talk to us. good ... the open mics are working.

At what kind of venue was this open mic? It's really cool that you're able to make these items, hold them in one hand, point at them with the other, and basically tell people "this is what we're about". It's a great thing that your idea of your image and music is so concrete...it lets people sink into what you're presenting that much deeper, you know? I dig it.

madmike wrote:
i was dead tired at work today but i had a deadline to meet. i'de been running around like a nut all week. i struggled thru it but it was worth it when i finished the job for this fall baseball league, loaded it into this guys truck and he handed my boss a chek for 10 grand. i felt like i earned my keep at work this week.

the deal on my new car fell thru today. i need to find another deal.

car insurance agencies suck. i'm suprised how many companies wont write me a policy without prior insurance. i'm gonna end up high risk pool again.

so its nice that its the weekend. i'm not dooin anything untill band practice on sunday.

Congrats, man! Sorry about your car. What kinda vehicle are you looking at?

Enjoy your weekend, man. Sounds like you've earned it. Cool
Back to top Go down
Yvarg

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 8:20 pm

Quote :
You play oboe, too? Schnikies, man, you're talented!

What happened to your car, dude? Damn, I'm going to have to get one of those soon. Cars are sweet, but what an expensive, pain-in-the-*** of a necessity.

What do you have left to do on your box? The Wooly Mammoth clone, right?

Yeah, I've played oboe for seven or eight years, but I haven't played almost at all during the past year so I'm really out of practice.

I got in an accident Tuesday night and I was waiting to find out whether or not my car was technically totaled or not. Turns out it is, but that's probably better than having to get it fixed, especially since I'm getting more money for it from the insurance company than was spent on the car originally (don't ask me how that works, I don't know).

Yeah, the Mammoth clone. I need to sand off the blue paint that is on the box right now, paint it with whatever color I decide to use, then get some adhesive-backed gloss paper so I can print out the label.
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 9:20 pm

I'm waiting patiently to get my Spector back. I took it to this guy to have the Kahler installed, the stripped strap button fixed, the dodgy input jack replaced, and the neck adjusted to zero relief. It was supposed to be done 2 weeks ago Evil or Very Mad. I tried calling the place twice today to ask when it would be done, but they didn't pick up. They seem to be pretty bad about that.

Other than that, homework, music lesson, and band practice
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 12:58 am

Yvarg wrote:
Yeah, I've played oboe for seven or eight years, but I haven't played almost at all during the past year so I'm really out of practice.

I got in an accident Tuesday night and I was waiting to find out whether or not my car was technically totaled or not. Turns out it is, but that's probably better than having to get it fixed, especially since I'm getting more money for it from the insurance company than was spent on the car originally (don't ask me how that works, I don't know).

Yeah, the Mammoth clone. I need to sand off the blue paint that is on the box right now, paint it with whatever color I decide to use, then get some adhesive-backed gloss paper so I can print out the label.

Crazy. I played bagpipes for six years before I started playing bass.

Sounds like that pedals' going to be pretty sweet when you're all done. How are you going to lay out hte knobs and on what kinda box?

Kugelspot wrote:
I'm waiting patiently to get my Spector back. I took it to this guy to have the Kahler installed, the stripped strap button fixed, the dodgy input jack replaced, and the neck adjusted to zero relief. It was supposed to be done 2 weeks ago Evil or Very Mad. I tried calling the place twice today to ask when it would be done, but they didn't pick up. They seem to be pretty bad about that.

Other than that, homework, music lesson, and band practice

Man, it sucks to have a bass in the shop like that. Congrats on finally getting a bass (and a killer one at that) with a trem on it, though! I'll bet it'd be hard to make the routes for the bridge. Doesn't that bass have a carved top of some sort? I remember how anxious I was to get my Hamer back from the shop.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 2:22 am

Chowderboots wrote:
Is this mudbucker a vintage Gibson sidewinder, a modern reproduction, or a completely different beast entirely?
Local Fender dealer said they can get me a copy of the neck one off of Squier.

Chowderboots wrote:
I've noticed that in P basses, the coil that's closest to the bridge (about 5 1/4" away from the intonation line) sounds really sick all along the strings, but I don't know of anyone who specifically puts a pickup at that exact spot, except for the Fender P bass, but the pickup doesn't go all the way across the strings, it's staggered. This position appears to be a bit closer to the bridge than the standard Tele bass pickup placement. I've also noticed that a straight pickup at the bridge doesn't sound nearly as interesting as one that's staggered or slanted.
Both my Trabens, the neck J pickup is along where the bridge coil would be on a P pickup, I measured. Was gonna put in split coils, for a more P vibe, maybe.
Chowderboots wrote:
So, some day, I would like to get a Fenderish bass and put a single coil P pickup at the special spot and maybe grab a Rio Grande Jazz pickup for the bridge position. Then, to top it off, maybe a pitbull or a Tele pickup right by the neck. I think that would be incredible.
That should be pretty damn cool.bounce
Chowderboots wrote:
Or a bass with two mudbuckers...mmmhh...mud Laughing

Ain't gonna be no mud rolling from one by the bridge! lol!
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 11:55 am

Darkstrike wrote:
Local Fender dealer said they can get me a copy of the neck one off of Squier.

Excellent!

Darkstrike wrote:
Both my Trabens, the neck J pickup is along where the bridge coil would be on a P pickup, I measured. Was gonna put in split coils, for a more P vibe, maybe.

Ooh...Man I just want to try it with a single coil P pickup, though. I love the P pickup sound, but I just don't want a slanted/staggered pickup in the middle position.

Darkstrike wrote:
Ain't gonna be no mud rolling from one by the bridge! lol!

Have you heard a bass with a mudbucker by the bridge? I think I've seen a few with sidewinders/Model Ones in the P position before. Would probably sound great. If the pole pieces were spaced wide enough.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 1:07 pm

boots,

naw ... dominic and shawn are the right cats for the project. they are decent musicians ... i think that they just dont know that yet and it leads to them not having as much dicipline as me. i'm 38 ... these guys are 26. they are passionate about the project and ultimately that, showing up, being able to play, showing improvement and having the proper gear to play is all i require. its also nice that they dont show up drunk ... got rid of that with my last band.

i think i'll just discuss my concerns with them tomorrow ... we'll see where it goes.

i wouldnt say we have an hour of material. the 4 originals and 3 originals that are not finished total about 35 minutes of material. we've holded off on writing more untill we get a vocalist on board, instead of having them learn 7 - 10 songs all at once. we have 3 covers that we do ... thats about 12 - 15 minutes. then theres the between song banter, nonsence, crowd interaction, tuning or stage communication that may be necessary. then theres always that we need to fill 5 or 6 more minutes ... we'll play 2MANYPEOPLE in half time ... thats always a mess, but tons of fun. so we can get up there and entertain for an hour no problem.

yes, our music does have meaning and is a bit deeper, but that is a real tuff sell in this day and age. people want their music to be easy and dont wanna hafta think about it too much. i know, i know ... thats silly ... its just music; you just listen to it, thats all. there wont be a test afterwards. just remember; people are more likely to shift their attitude to a negative position than to be passionate about something. most people dont care that theres a band called 40ws and that we want to bring something positive into their life. a lot of people could care less that we're busting hump on stage trying to be entertaining ... as long as the bartender brings them another beer. thats cool ... i understand ... in other areas, i'm the same way.

the open mic is just a b.a.r. ... in fact, that what its called, the bar @ 2nd and market. its got a tiny stage in the back and a simple p.a. system. it could be an open mic where the local hippies get up there and sing their folk songs and have a drum circle, but the crowd that hangs at this bar isnt havin that. there are rock bands on saturday night and punk / rockabilly on sunday nights. on thursdays they do the "new band" showcase and have you get up there and show everyone your stuff. we played for an hour because noone else showd up and wanting to get on the stage. the venue owner likes us so we did him a favor and just kept playing ... win / win either way.

the car was a 99 mercury cougar. i owned one of these already and it was a good car. this one has 100K+ miles on it and needs repairs, but someone was giving it to me. if they cant show up for what needs to be done for this to happen, then i dont have time for favors like that. i need to get a car in the next two weeks or, with vacation and moving comming up, its not gonna happen till november.

i just looked at a 2002 accord s/w. i think i'm gonna buy it this week.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 1:15 pm

Sounds like they'll be receptive to your concerns and work with you. That's great.

Hey, still--you have a dynamic show and enough material to focus on other things, you know?

Still sounds like a fun gig to do. Good environment?

Where are you going on vacation?

My boss had a Civic...don't know if that's similar to an Accord, but he is/was really happy with that car. He's had two.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 1:46 pm

[quote="Chowderboots"]Excellent!
If they pull through!lol!
Excellent!

Chowderboots wrote:
Ooh...Man I just want to try it with a single coil P pickup, though. I love the P pickup sound, but I just don't want a slanted/staggered pickup in the middle position.
By split, I mean like a DiMarzio jazz pickup, no slant or stagger, but the pickup is twh halfs in series like a P, under a regular Jazz shell, may be the best of both worlds.

Chowderboots wrote:
Have you heard a bass with a mudbucker by the bridge? I think I've seen a few with sidewinders/Model Ones in the P position before. Would probably sound great. If the pole pieces were spaced wide enough.
I'm not too worried about poles, as pickups make a magnetic field. Bill Lawrence dosen't line the ppoles up like usual anymore, and his new pickups are ment to sound fantastic.
Mudbucker at 'tha back! Rough audio, gives you the jist though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

So... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So...   So... Empty

Back to top Go down

So...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Thoughts and Musings :: General sillyness-
Jump to: