Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Would it fit?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 10:57 pm

Would a Kahler fit on my Spector?

Would it fit? DSCN3372

The way the bridge pickup is positioned, it looks like the only way one would fit would be to reverse the direction of the saddles (from rear facing to forward facing). Is that possible on the Hybrid Series trems, or would I have to buy an older model that comes that way?
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 11:35 pm

Wow nice! How much did that unit cost you?

Looks like it might fit...measure the distance between the bottom side of the mounting ears on the bridge pickup and the intonation line. I keep forgetting what the approximate minimum distance is. I'll bust out my ruler and a Kahler in a second and check it out.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 6:34 am

Yeah, I'd say you need a forward roller, that bridge J pickup would be, IMHO, well in the way.
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 10:06 am

^ But I can reverse the direction of the rollers on the Hybrid trems, right?

Chowderboots wrote:
Wow nice! How much did that unit cost you?

Thanks. It was on sale for $1700, but normally costs $2400.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 10:29 am

Uhm, you can't change the orientation of the saddle assemblies. The frame on the forward and rearward units is slightly different to accommodate the different saddle orientation. It looks like you have enough room on there for a 2400/7400 type of unit. That would be sweet if you did. Very Happy

Wow! That's a steal! Excellent work, man. Is that a Euro bolt on, then? I really love that body shape. I hope that bass treats you well! Tell us about how you like it thus far! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 10:51 am

Just to back up what Bill and Martin have said, you would need to get a forward-roller Kahler for that bass. And to the best of my knowledge, you cannot reverse the roller assembly on a Hybrid. Now if you wanted to go the Hipshot route, that would fit in there nicely.

That is one gorgeous bass! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 10:59 am

You can put the rollers on backwards, but the adjustment screws and rollers will be hanging over the edge of the base plate. The main difference between the forward and rearward saddle bridges is where the pin is that the saddles attach to is. On the 2400/7400, it's back by the cam on the tallest part of the base plate and on the 2410/7410 trems, it goes through the sides at the narrowest part of the base plate.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 11:15 am

Yup, not possible to mod a Hybrid to suit, I've stripped mine down to nuts and bolts more than often enough to tell you that.

As Eric said, a Hipshot'd work well, and would look almost stock, either that or scrounge up a forward roller Kahler.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 11:30 am

I say go for the Kahler--I think Kahlers look spiffy on Spector basses. You, too, can look like Dave LaRue! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 1:18 pm

Where can I buy a 7400? Is there even such a thing? I can only find 7410s, and I don't think one would fit.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Oh hmm maybe I'm makin' **** up. Now that you mention it, I really don't think there is a forward saddle hybrid. Whoops.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 2:57 pm

Looks like this guy has some 2400's for sale, although you have to email him for pricing. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way to see the Kahlers for bass :

http://www.kevinchilcott-luthier.co.uk/private/new-kahler-trems.htm

And you could always go to the source if you wanted to shell out the $$$:

http://www.kahlerusa.com/ecommerce/2400.html
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 5:33 pm

^ the first guy is charging £269 (almost $450) for for the Kahler. I think I'll be ordering direct, unless anyone knows somewhere where I can get one cheaper.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 8:01 pm

i know for sure, whammi world's were cheaper than that.

i dont remember where i got mine, but i only paid $180 for it. i'll find out and let you know.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 8:25 pm

heritiz ........

http://www.evilguitars.com/kahler.htm

but you wanted a 2400?

i could be wrong, but looking at this bass, i think you got plenty o room for a kahler hybrid behind that jazz pickup. i fit a humbucker between a split p and a kahler on a percision. worst case scenario ... you rout and move the pickup up a r.c.h. or two.
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 8:55 pm

^
1. Wammi world only sells hybrids now.
2. Its got about 1 1/8" of clearance. That doesn't look like enough. How much would I need?
3. I don't want to do any extensive modifications. I love the sound the way it is and don't want to change anything by repositioning the bridge pickup, and I'm afraid of voiding the warranty, and it just doesn't feel right, you know? The bass is just too nice. I'd rather save up and spend more and avoid all that
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 8:57 pm

MadMike, Wammi World doesn't stock the 2400 at all, and they only made the 7400 Hybrid series with rearward-facing rollers. But you could be right in that there might be enough room for a rearward unit, but it would be close. I have had luck in putting 2410's/7410's on Jazz basses, but the edge of the frame always came right up to the pickup case. With the bass Kugelspot wants to throw a Kahler into, it looks really tight, so I understand his hesitation.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 7:18 am

EricHaven wrote:
MadMike, Wammi World doesn't stock the 2400 at all, and they only made the 7400 Hybrid series with rearward-facing rollers. But you could be right in that there might be enough room for a rearward unit, but it would be close. I have had luck in putting 2410's/7410's on Jazz basses, but the edge of the frame always came right up to the pickup case. With the bass Kugelspot wants to throw a Kahler into, it looks really tight, so I understand his hesitation.

That bridge pickup is much further back than a standard Jazz setup, I'm still sure it's not gonna work with a rearward saddle setup.

Oh, and my Jazz, the edge of the frame almost came up to the pickup too.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 1:38 pm

thats pretty weird ... last year when i bought mine, it seemed like i could get a 2400 anywhere and had to search for the hybrid.

now its the other way around.

only place where i could definately find a 2400 was directly from kahler.

yall may notice that, even tho the pic is of a hybrid, a lot of sites still have the text as a 2400 ... go ahead and order one ... i'm curious what you'de get ........

i gotta go look at the designs on the other computer for the 7410 measurements .... hold on ......

Rolling Eyes

Would it fit? Kahler11

dont know where you were taking the measurement from for the 1.125" clearance, kugel, so i just posted the drawings of the 7410. hopefully this will nail it down for you instead of everybody just guessing.

hey eric! the base platform of the 7410 and the 4200's are the same, aint? if its a matter if where the base will fall with the housings forward or backward with the saddles, couldnt you just flip the measurement of the + / - intonation range to compensate for the forward facing saddles.

and kugel. wouldnt you be voiding the warranty on this bass anyway, once you rout out the pocket and bolt a kahler on it? i mean, i understand you dont want to rout out more, but i just think if your already routing ... eh ... whats a bit more. furreal, i'm all about NOT removing any wood if you dont have to.
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 4:26 pm

^ Spector have a pretty lax warranty policy. It seems like they pretty just won't cover non-original parts. I need to check though. Also, I was taking measurements from the closest saddle to the bridge to the edge of the pickup (as in the part with the screw in it). Also, I just retook the measurement, and its 1.5" confused. So I think I'm going with the hybrid.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 5:10 pm

madmike wrote:
hey eric! the base platform of the 7410 and the 4200's are the same, aint? if its a matter if where the base will fall with the housings forward or backward with the saddles, couldnt you just flip the measurement of the + / - intonation range to compensate for the forward facing saddles.

I think you meant the 7410 and the 2400, right? Wink Yes, they are basically the same with regards to the amount of real estate they cover. There are a few cosmetic differences, but to the best of my knowledge, these won't affect the placement measurements. In fact, I seem to recall dropping a 7410 Hybrid into a cavity originally cut for a 2410 with no issues. The holes should line right up, unless of course, Kahler has made some drastic changes recently that I'm not aware of. But I rather doubt they have, so I think you'd be safe to assume they are still the same.

And again, to the best of my knowledge, yes, I believe that you could simply flip the intonation measurements from a rearward-facing 2410/7410 to a forward-facing 2400, since the bridge saddle assemblies fall within the same span on either version.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 3:39 am

evidently i committed a typo.

i remember doing that before.

i shud be more careful seeing as i dont wanna go thru all that again.

the 2400 are forward saddle models and the 2410 and 7410 are rear saddle models.

the intonation line would stay the same. the position of the base on the bass would change from a forward saddle model and a rear saddle model. not exactly aswered my question ... but i'll figure it out.

i've never seen it ... is there a hybrid 7400 forward saddle model?

kugel, i'm glad my drawing could help you come to some conclusion instead of all of us just guessing.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 7:02 am

Madmike--I think the confusion over the 7400/7410 model number was my fault. I haven't found any evidence that Kahler makes a forward-saddle hybrid bass tremolo bridge and 7400 often describes the entire hybrid bass trem line.

So I should think before I type. Laughing
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 7:54 pm

naw; i think i missed that one boots.

yeah, i typed in 4200 series instead of 2400 series. there is no such thing as a 4200 series. no biggie either way ... we're all just trying to help each other out here.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 8:03 pm

We should MAKE a 4200 series trem! MadMike signature tremolo by Kahler!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 3:47 am

oh no, i have one already!

Wink
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 9:42 am

Hahahaha I'd buy one...

It'd have to be in "Blue Krome"! Smile
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 4:04 pm

OK never mind. I decided to remeasure distance between the intonation line and the pickup. Turns out its 1.125". I guess I'm getting the 2400
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 6:03 pm

Ah well. It'll be worth it, at least! And for that nice of a bass, the 2400 is only fitting. Not that the Hybrid series units are inferior in any way, but the 2400s are hand made and all brass I believe, whereas in the Hybrids, they substitute aluminum for some parts and are machine made, I think.
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 12:49 am

^ Being hand made or machine made doesn't make any difference, and the aluminum and brass thing won't change much either, but whatever, I ordered it.

That makes me the last of the regulars to actually get a trem, doesn't it? Kinda weird. I've been on a bass trem forum for 6 months and am only just getting a bass trem.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 9:51 am

Eh, if it takes time, so be it, right? Better you learned and felt what the field is like than jump into something without any support, you know?
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 2:42 pm

I agree. And like I say in the introductions, it doesn't matter if you are an owner/user of bass trems, or simply have an interest in them. Everyone and anyone is welcome here. Heck, my Linda is on here, and she doesn't even play bass! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Would it fit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would it fit?   Would it fit? Empty

Back to top Go down

Would it fit?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Bass Tremolo Family :: Kahler-
Jump to: