Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

we want information, information, information ........

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
madmike

madmike

we want information, information, information ........ Empty
PostSubject: we want information, information, information ........   we want information, information, information ........ EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 3:40 am

who are you?

the new #2.

who is #1?

you are #6.

chek this thang out peepol.

we want information, information, information ........ Spear_11

spear s-1

i think this thing is pretty wild.

i couldnt find anything about this bass or the spear company online, except that they are produced in indonesia and they offer these at amazon.

can anyone help me get some info????????
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: we want information, information, information ........   we want information, information, information ........ EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 1:09 pm

I totally got a kick out of the Prisoner reference! Laughing

That's a pretty wild-looking bass! And here is their website:

http://spears-music.itrademarket.com/spears-music-indonesia.htm

I was also able to find a retailer in the U.K. that carries them in case you wanted to order one. The page shows several different models that they produce, and also includes technical specs:

http://www.fretmusic.co.uk/spear-c-584.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: we want information, information, information ........   we want information, information, information ........ EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 8:43 pm

thanx for the info eric ... it was very ... strange.

i think something is getting lost in the indonesian to english translation. their headline on their website starts out with this ...........

"We sell quality musical instruments, such as electric guitar, base, drum, and amplifier. our products' quality is no worse than other popular brands like Fender, Yamaha, etc. "

Shocked

"our sales crew on the other hand can't market hoses to firemen ....."

i'm wondering if the colleges in indonesia have a marketing major. Suspect

either way ... this bass wasnt on their website. its the nicest bass they have ... strange.

the british website was more informative. these spears basses dont use anything like gotoh, bertolini, dimarzio, grover or hipshot products on their instruments. all the bridges, pickups, tuners and electronics are their own products. this is definitely a decider from the price that i got, from where i found these things available. i found the above bass on amazon for $500. if i bought it ... iddid be from there .... i dont know what a pound is worth.

http://www.amazon.com/Spear-Solid-String-Electric-Guitar/dp/B001MM1KY0/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3KGNT5DDE9U4E&colid=3A9DUPE4IQU16

i just really liked the body shape. its different and kinda apealing to me. i guess if i wanted one, i'de just hafta get over the manufacturer's parts that i may or may not want and shell out the 5 benjamins.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

PostSubject: Re: we want information, information, information ........   we want information, information, information ........ EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 11:06 am

A pound right now is worth $1.63, apparently.

Those basses really look wacky...
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: we want information, information, information ........   we want information, information, information ........ EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 2:55 pm

madmike wrote:
"...our products' quality is no worse than other popular brands like Fender, Yamaha, etc. "

That's reassuring! Laughing

Here's my take on companies like Spears. In the last few decades, there has been an increase in the number of Asian guitar manufacturers that take advantage of the lower costs of production over there, and I think that Spears is but one example. A quick search on eBay reveals quite a few more companies just like Spears that sell basses for less than $100.

Tokai is one example of an Asian market that not only managed to produce quality instruments, but in many cases they equaled and even exceeded the quality of the original version. My Tokai Jazz, for example, was a complete dead-ringer for a Fender in every respect except for the headstock design. Other than that, any OEM Jazz bass part fit exactly into my bass.

And both Bill and myself can attest to the quality of SX basses. They might be made in Asia at a significant discount, but they sound and play every bit as good as a Fender does IMHO.

As Martin, Bill, myself, and others here have said, if the body and neck are sound, then it's no crime to go this route. Maybe the hardware and pickups would have to be upgraded, but most of us do that anyways. For me, as long as the neck is rosewood on maple and straight, and the body is alder, I could care less what name is on it.

So you buy a P that's made overseas for $100, upgrade the electronics, bridge and tuners, and you've spent about equal the cost of a lot of inferior-quailty Squiers, and way less than a Fender.

A cousin of mine bought a gorgeous candy apple red Tokai Strat with brass hardware back in 1981. It is a completely faithful version of an original Fender in every way, including the headstock (in fact, it is too close, since it violated all sorts of copyright laws). But many years ago, he was able to pull some strings with a local guitar shop, and managed to get a Fender headstock label, and he had the Tokai label replaced. When I asked him why he did this, he told me that he wanted it to appear to be a real Fender, and even back then, I didn't understand why. It simply does not matter who makes the instrument, as long as it works.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

PostSubject: Re: we want information, information, information ........   we want information, information, information ........ EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 5:09 pm

EricHaven wrote:
many years ago, he was able to pull some strings with a local guitar shop, and managed to get a Fender headstock label, and he had the Tokai label replaced. When I asked him why he did this, he told me that he wanted it to appear to be a real Fender, and even back then, I didn't understand why. It simply does not matter who makes the instrument, as long as it works.

The TB FenderFools would cry like a 2 year old babies if you showed that thing to them, and they would cry for days when they recognized it as a fake, and wouldn't even consider listening to it, or picking it up and actually playing it...

Too many of those goofy people have some twisted logic that the NAME is the only factor when purchasing and instrument, regardless of the tone/playability, or where it was made.

rant on:

being a Jackson lover, I get ZERO respect over there..good for me, but I constantly REMIND those narrow-minded FenderRetards that THERE ARE OTHER BRANDS OUT THERE that are just as cheap or expensive, and they DON'T have to say Fender on the head to be a quality player....

P/J to me ALWAYS meant --

Pointyhead
Jackson

rant off:

Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

PostSubject: Re: we want information, information, information ........   we want information, information, information ........ EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 5:29 pm

Very well put, Mike. And I could not agree more.

You know, if folks want to spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on a name, that's their issue. Maybe there are a number of players who honestly love Fenders, and can't find the same mojo with another brand, and that's fine. But for those who feel that they must have that high-end famous name for no other reason than to be able to say "I have a this-or-a-that", I almost pity them, since they are limiting themselves to what's out there. I love my Yamahas, but that doesn't mean that I won't own/play other lesser known brands.

Paul Gilbert of Racer X and Mr. Big owns a whole arsenal of weird and off-the-wall no-name brands of guitars that are little more than over-glorified versions of what you'd find at Sears at Target, yet he does just fine with them, and I haven't heard anyone yet complain about it.

It comes down to playing on what you want to, and what works for you. Everyone else can go screw themselves. Wink
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

PostSubject: Re: we want information, information, information ........   we want information, information, information ........ EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 6:51 am

i dont understand the whole "fender is the pure best" ideology.

fender invented the bass and they make some real nice instruments. they also make some nice lower end models like the squire and mexican models.

i dont understand where someone can say that fender makes the best instruments.

ok. i'm just gonna set aside for a minute the fact that i just dont like fender. not only are they rediculously common, ordinary and un - exciting, but aside from the p hot rod deluxe and the stu hamm models, none of them have the options or extras i would want on a bass. then theres the simple fact that i just dont like how they play. the string spacing on a p set up makes the bass play "huge" with only a 21 fret neck. the jazz is better with a 1.5" at the nut, but ... eh.

ok.

now compare a standard american fender p bass with a schecter stiletto for $400. or even a higher proce range ... compare it to an MTD, a F bass or a ken smith. then theres the just completely rediculous comparison with carl thompson, alembic or some other custom, built-to-order bass.

now, how can someone make a statement that fender p and j basses are the best? even middle of the road priced basses are nicer and offer more options. for the cheaper price, the asian knockoffs are just as good at first glance and go - over. and if your gonna go spend $1200 to $1400 on an instrument, at this point in the game i'de reccommend that you take a look at smith, schecter, warwick or MTD before you buy a fender.

i feel the same way about ampeg. good amps and cabs ... but they aint all that good.

thruth be told ... with the knowledge i've gained over the last year, i prefer these days to build my own instrument. i cant cut bodies or carve necks so i need something to start with. enter the spear bass ........... i just want the body and neck! if it was stained trans blue already thaddid be nice.

kahler trem,

semour duncan, barts or qtune pickups,

after a year of playing it, re - do the frets.

i dont care who made the thing or where it was made. i'm just concerned with the $500 price tag. i'm shure itsa real nice instrument ... it looks nice. what i wanna do with it makes the body and neck not worth $500 (right now).

i think it comes down to how bad i want it. if idealy its the best i can do and i want it ... i'll shell out the $$$ and end up with more sub - par parts in the leftovers box.

doesnt anyone make a triple omega body except alembic???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: we want information, information, information ........   we want information, information, information ........ Empty

Back to top Go down

we want information, information, information ........
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Thoughts and Musings :: New Toys!-
Jump to: