Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Swoons

Go down 
+4
Barklessdog
Chowderboots
EricHaven
Darkstrike
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Darkstrike

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Swoons   Swoons EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 6:30 am

As in, just tipping the bar slightly down, slowly, when holding a note, to slip down to a note a step or so lower.

Kinda ties in with the fretless tone deal Eric mentioned, but I like to use it as an effect in and of itself.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 1:51 pm

I agree, Bill, and thank you for making the distinction. Swooning notes is indeed slightly different than faking fretless playing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 2:18 pm

Hahaha good way of putting it, dude!! Makes me think of classical era dances replete with ladies in 60 pound dresses and powdered faces fainting from the weight of their clothing. lol!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 2:31 pm

Exactly!

Like Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind!
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 4:33 am

Hope you guys dont mind me posting examples of the techniques described?

I used the technique for the bass pat (Pig) in the song Pig Dog. It was my RD with a Grarage Band plug in distortion effect & echo.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=578947&songID=4774835

The higher parts were split between my Les Paul & RD using the Digitech whammy & Black Big Muff
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 9:58 am

Woah...what did you use for that huge, fuzzed sound at 1:14? That sounded...killer! I love it!
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 5:41 pm

funny title, but a very cool jam indeed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amimbari
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 4:10 am

Chowderboots wrote:
Woah...what did you use for that huge, fuzzed sound at 1:14? That sounded...killer! I love it!

That was using the E string starting with the Kahler dropped low with fuzz & Delay then slowly letting up on the bar.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 1:05 am

What kinda fuzz are we talking about, here? Laughing But I won't ask the master to reveal his tricks unless he wants to!
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 1:16 am

Chowderboots wrote:
What kinda fuzz are we talking about, here?

Big Muff, I think.
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 4:19 am

Yes, the Black Big Muff- so creamy, so nice. I also use a Z vex Fuzz Factory and sometimes a Boss overdrive.

I would love to get a B:Assmaster or a Fulltone GT 500.

So many pedal so little cash.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 6:13 am

There are so many Big Muffs...it always confused me. Is that the Russian black BM?

Mmh I'd really dig a Fulltone OCD. Those look killer. And Jesus, so does the GT500...damn it! Laughing

Another pedal that I'd die for is an MXR Carbon Copy. I tried a Telecaster through one into a little '59 style Fender Bassman combo at Guitar Satan the other day...aah my god it was perfect! I love analog delay. It makes you sound awesome! It's so warm and you can get such neat, saturated sounds with it. Tasty! Cool I think I like it so much because it sounds very similar to the Who's Live At Leeds record, where the echo from the rear of the hall is caught on the recording and on some of the looser, more jam-y tracks, you can hear Pete playing with the hall's echo. I've always wanted to get that same type of feel from a pedal and not many can really do it the way I want to hear it.
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 6:24 am

I bought some pedals recently as well as basses and I am beginning to find I keep returning to the same basic basses & effects.

It's a bit like the Bluebird of Happiness-that you go out looking for something better, but really you find you had it all along.

I have paired down to what works for me. Funny but my RD still is my number one bass for almost 30 years!

There is almost nothing it cant do-The one thing it can't cop is the warm overdriven passive sound of my Les Paul and the single coil sound of my Blueshawk. But really I could probably do it all with my RD.

Still its fun to get a new pedal when things get dull. I still keep going back to my EH Micro synth (I bought when the originally came out), My digitech Whammy, Black Big Muff and Line 6 Echo. Thats my sound with a Kahler
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 9:47 am

Barklessdog wrote:
God I know man. If I ever got rich or became a pro musician (and I don't think either will ever happen...) I'm going to end up with a pedalboard that would make Tom Morello jealous. Seriously, like 50 different effects

Chowderboots wrote:
There are so many Big Muffs...it always confused me.

Ya, EHX alone currently makes 11 different muffs. Once you throw in all the discontinued models, and the different generations of the big muff, and the muff clones, you have like 50 different pedals, and most sound really similar
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 10:09 am

I would love to get some Moog pedals or the Chunk Systems Octavious Squeezer, but I can't see my self spending $800 for a pedal.
Back to top Go down
Chowderboots

Chowderboots

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:06 am

Barklessdog wrote:
I bought some pedals recently as well as basses and I am beginning to find I keep returning to the same basic basses & effects.

It's a bit like the Bluebird of Happiness-that you go out looking for something better, but really you find you had it all along.

I have paired down to what works for me. Funny but my RD still is my number one bass for almost 30 years!

There is almost nothing it cant do-The one thing it can't cop is the warm overdriven passive sound of my Les Paul and the single coil sound of my Blueshawk. But really I could probably do it all with my RD.

Still its fun to get a new pedal when things get dull. I still keep going back to my EH Micro synth (I bought when the originally came out), My digitech Whammy, Black Big Muff and Line 6 Echo. Thats my sound with a Kahler

I'm still envious of that non reverse Tbird of yours. And that JE-style Fenderbird! How cool is that?

The RDs are such cool instruments. The guitars and the basses. I saw Pentagram the other week and their guitarist had a Silverburst RD. It looked and sounded stunning. Some day, I hope to give an RD bass a try. I haven't played many Gibsons, but I imagine that if there was one that would work for me, that'd be it.

It sounds like you don't place too much of your tone in the hands of your amp. Do you mostly run DI into a mixer?

Let me tell you, I am very attracted to that Fulltone GT-500 pedal. I've been jonesin' for a boost pedal like that, but what I like the most is the midrange knob on the distortion side of the pedal. It sounds like it's perfect for what I'm after!

Kugelspot wrote:
Barklessdog wrote:
God I know man. If I ever got rich or became a pro musician (and I don't think either will ever happen...) I'm going to end up with a pedalboard that would make Tom Morello jealous. Seriously, like 50 different effects

Chowderboots wrote:
There are so many Big Muffs...it always confused me.

Ya, EHX alone currently makes 11 different muffs. Once you throw in all the discontinued models, and the different generations of the big muff, and the muff clones, you have like 50 different pedals, and most sound really similar

I love pedals, but mostly for the novelty, you know? I mean, when you have a pedalboard with 30 different effects in series and you get one bad patch cable (10 minutes before you're set to go on...) that's brutal! But that's what you have to do if you want to get "that sound" x30. I'll probably wind up running a couple pedals with whatever I wind up doing (boost, OD, flanger/chorus, delay, maybe an expander/sustainer), but I don't think I have the mental capacity to deal with much more than that! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:30 am

I go direct into my Mini Mac Computer through a Sansamp, an alesis tube preamp, & Graphic Eq . I also have a rack compressor, but I do not use it much as digital compresses everything anyway.

My amp rots in the basement. I have not played out in years. I used to play out all the time, but I got married bought a house had kids, then a business and then dogs... On top of that a bad back so my live days are a thing of the past (I'm pushing 50 now). I would love to play out though.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:43 am

Barklessdog wrote:
my live days are a thing of the past (I'm pushing 50 now). I would love to play out though.
hey now OLD MAN Smile

pushing 50? .....so am I Smile 06-16-2010 I will also be 50 Smile
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:48 am

I'll be 50 in December. Yikes!
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:57 am

ya the big 5-0!...For me, like you my "heyday" was the 80's and 90's.

now the only difference is my amps and gear do not sit un-used for more than a day. I have a band that is just getting started again this past couple months to go play parties and good paying bars, because like you..the whole house/job/family thing totally turned my life around, and the band/music always takes a back seat anymore. That's why I've turned into such a youtube video whore, since it is easy to eat dinner, and go jam something for a 1/2 hour and post it almost 3 times a week.
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 12:08 pm

I have two erroded vertebre in my back so any kind of lifting is forbidden, unless I want chronic back pain. If I had roadie to carry everything then I would be golden.

I hurt my back doing landescaping & in my old band, carrying things like a Fender Rhodes, PA & crap etc. My Rd did not help either. Now I'm paying for it. As long as I work out & swim regularly. I have little pain, but if I start lifting stuff, my back gets bad again.
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 12:48 pm

Quote :
I'm still envious of that non reverse Tbird of yours. And that JE-style Fenderbird! How cool is that?

I have packed both basses away, as I do not favor them any longer.
The T bird blends with the mix and has a great straight bass sound, but I want the bass to stand out more in the mix which my Les Paul does better, also has better sustain. So I packed it away to be sold at some point when I need cash. The Les Paul is a better sounding & playing bass in my opinion.

The Fenderbird is great, sounds like an Alembic. Great for finger style playing or funk. Great sounding bass & really nice set up on it.

This features the Fenderbird - Way Of The Ninja - the high guitar parts are the LP bass
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=578947&songID=4411174

Neither of these basses work well with effects, yeah a little delay or reverb sounds nice but thats not what I am doing right now.

My Eb-0 & mudbucker work great with effects as well. The mudbucker really comes to life with fuzz or overdrive. It has a trebless woofy sound. Blended with the Pitbull it's Billy Sheehan.
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 1:36 pm

Barklessdog wrote:
I have two erroded vertebre in my back so any kind of lifting is forbidden, unless I want chronic back pain. If I had roadie to carry everything then I would be golden.

I hurt my back doing landescaping & in my old band, carrying things like a Fender Rhodes, PA & crap etc. My Rd did not help either. Now I'm paying for it. As long as I work out & swim regularly. I have little pain, but if I start lifting stuff, my back gets bad again.

been there....just not with eroded or failing cartilage.

had a lumbar disectomy on L20/L21 discs back in 2001 and I had surgery to repair them, my biggest joy was waking up and wiggling my toes and crying like a baby that I was not paralyzed from the surgery. ( my disks ruptured TOWARDS the nerve bundle, a rare occurrence according to the DR's ).

I was playing baseball and collided with another player running full speed not looking where I was going, finished the game in a little pain, and the next morning I could not walk and the EMS had to stretcher me out of my house.

3 days later was the surgery, 6-8 weeks later I didn't even remember having the surgery except for the 2 holes that healed on my back, and only have occasional nagging pain that Tylenol solves rather effectively..

anyway, enough off-topic junk. let the thread roll:)
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 2:26 pm

amimbari wrote:
anyway, enough off-topic junk. let the thread roll:)

WHAT?!?! affraid BTF staying on topic? This is an outrage, it's heresy! I refuse to take part in such shenanigans! We must keep talking about spinal injuries!

lol!
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Well, there was this time I got stepped on by a moose, and... Laughing

Man! I leave town for a couple of days, and it's like reading War And Peace getting caught up! Razz

BD, you are absolutely welcome to post demos of techniques at any time. It's hard to put somethings into words, and I think the best way of demoing musical technique is to post a few words to give some idea of what it is you're talking about along with an actual demonstration.

And I realize that I talk about all sorts of things, but I have yet to produce enough audio data to back it up. I'm working on it, Guys! Wink

Now back injuries...and old age...OK...I will confess (and this is NO joke) that I went out tonight and bought me a six-pack...of Ensure. Neutral
Back to top Go down
amimbari

amimbari

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 9:39 am

EricHaven wrote:
Man! I leave town for a couple of days, and it's like reading War And Peace getting caught up! Razz
more like "The Young and the Restless"
Back to top Go down
Kugelspot

Kugelspot

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 9:02 pm

Barklessdog wrote:

I used the technique for the bass pat (Pig) in the song Pig Dog. It was my RD with a Grarage Band plug in distortion effect & echo.

The higher parts were split between my Les Paul & RD using the Digitech whammy & Black Big Muff

Just listened to this again, I feel like my ears have been raped. You know, in the good way.
Back to top Go down
Darkstrike

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 5:22 am

EricHaven wrote:
Exactly!

Like Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind!

Just want to point out, this is where I get all my bass techniques.
Back to top Go down
ligiahag7902

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 3:26 am

Barklessdog wrote:

Such a very amazing link!
Back to top Go down
Barklessdog

Barklessdog

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 4:24 am

Welcome & thank you. I had just started using Apple's Garage Band back then and kind of tried to see everything I could do in one song but tied to an adventure / story.

Back to top Go down
Sly

Sly

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 5:20 am

Barklessdog wrote:
Welcome & thank you. I had just started using Apple's Garage Band back then and kind of tried to see everything I could do in one song but tied to an adventure / story.

I really enjoy your works. Extremely creative and image provoking!
Back to top Go down
http://www.slyonbass.com/
Sponsored content

Swoons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swoons   Swoons Empty

Back to top Go down

Swoons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Tips, tricks, and techniques :: Tricks and techniques-
Jump to: