Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

building a bass

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
madmike

madmike

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: building a bass   building a bass EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 8:35 pm

been busy and away here for a minute. i got some time now before school starts and the body blank has been sitting too long, as well as the half built sg. ive learned so much here so ill document and post the build best i can and build it with all of you.

ive always wanted a G&L ASAT. nice electronics and a player but wont fit a kahler and famous neck diver. i will take the good and redesign to overcome the shortcomings.

building a bass ASTB_BTRBLD_MP_VTGN-1200_zps2eigsvax

heres the body blank. its sepele. thats a species of mahogany. it was ruff cut so i planed it down today, sanded and wiped with naptha so i can see what ittl look like finished clear.

building a bass 20140708_171502_zpsftcg1q9e

building a bass 20140708_164411_zpsxobdnscy

its 1.8" thick. i still got more planeing to do to get it to 1.6"

ill do the body shape design next and post it with some mock ups so you all can see what i have in mind. then ill cut my routing template and get up the guts to rout it out.
Back to top Go down
Alexander

Alexander

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 8:56 pm

Cool!
Stoked to see this one come together.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 12:07 pm

Kinda like this ..........

building a bass Asat_n10

whaddaya think?!?!?

i needed to address the neckdive issue. theres no way to tell untill i build the thing and put it on with a strap ... unless you guys know of some online calculator type thingey like what WINamp does with your speakers that determines a basses center of gravity. i dont. i hate neckdive basses! heres what i did .........

first is obvious. i put an "italicized" look on the bass ... skewed like the difference between a p anda jazz bass. this brought the front top (there isnt a horn; its like a tele) at least 1.4" towards the nut, moving the center of gravity more to the back. one solution people did with the ASAT basses was one of those strap extenders. these things go all the way out to the 13th fret .... i just couldnt exaggerate that far without a weird looking body. it started looking like a weird growth.

the second thing is the overall body length. the skew added some length. then i added another inch to the back of the bass ... because i could use some real estate for a kahler anyway. furreals ... i looked at the scale of the ASAT and a kahler would work on one with the back of the base of the kahler just about right to the back of the bass. i just like a little bit more there, because its my body and my bass ... me, me, mine and my way.

the third thing is overall body weight. first off, the ASAT's are ash. ash is lighter than mahogany (but not by much). second, i spent time planeing the blank yesterday ... i only took it down to 1.8". the last body i cut outta ash i did it 1.7", a tele guitar, and its real heavy for a tele and a little thick and beefey. i'm thinking of taking this down to 1.6" thickness. also ... this body is bigger ... wider as well as longer ... so its more wood.

i'm hoping with the 3 subtle differences, that this thing will balance out.

the jaguar i did, i really liked the J neck and the alterations i did to remove the string tree resolved the tuning issues ... so i think i'm gonna do that again.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 5:50 pm

im sorry. breaking several commandments here at BTF but ....

building a bass 20130430_232850_zps1533f7e7

this is the 74 tele copy i made. i love this guitar. its on loan right now ... i gotta get it back. anyhow ... ill be going for a similar finish.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 5:39 pm

Without holding any of the parts in my hands, I'd say that if you extend the bottom of the body as you are planning to, you will solve both the problem of the Kahler placement, as well as that of the neck-diving issue. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com
madmike

madmike

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 5:32 pm

Omg ... new phone ... took me forever to figure out how to sign in.

been getting some education so building basses has gone on the back burners. I hate chemistry.

I have put some time in when I can.

I cut the template, swiss cheesed the drop and rout it out.

building a bass 20150221_230507_zpszboitmzw

building a bass 20150222_180421_zpsf8ew1c08

then I cut the neck pocket. I've gotten pretty good at this.

building a bass 20150301_001113_zpsbilqzhtp

I love it when everything comes out nice and straight like I planned.

building a bass 20150301_001207_zps6paob3kz

please meet the X19. I don't know why ... it's just named the X19.

building a bass 20150228_231137_zpsnsul2gtb
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Lookin' great, MadMike! cheers
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 7:59 pm

And oh yeah....

it is a G&L neck. G&L was selling em on their site for like $40 some dollars. I always liked their necks. At that price I didn't expect much and that's what I got. It's a second and not completed or finished. It will be.

also thinking of reshaping the headstock so it doesn't look so much like a G&L. Like get rid of the curve thingy hanging down? Reshape it so it has offset like the body?

scratch
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 5:52 pm

Yeah, if it were me, I'd shave off that goofy little hook thingy, and make the whole thing more roundish.
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 5:15 am

I'm kinda thinking more streamlined.

I'm cutting the arm and belly cuts now. I could just use the belt sander with 50 grit and be done in 5 min, but I'm using a hand wrasp and doing it old fashioned.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 1:14 pm

At least, with a hand rasp, you lessen the chances of accidentally over-sanding. Wink
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 7:26 pm

EricHaven wrote:
At least, with a hand rasp, you lessen the chances of accidentally over-sanding. Wink

if I belt sand it too far the design will immediately become smaller.

Laughing

I'm gonna use the belt sander for the belly cut.

I still haven't weight balanced it yet. The block is still 1.66" thick and body heavy. Electronic pocket and pup pockets. Then I'll balance it by planing thickness off the back till its balanced hanging on a string. That's the only way I can think to do it. I hope to take off .15" - .22".
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass EmptySun Mar 22, 2015 6:45 pm

Steady as she goes, Mr. Sulu. Cool
Back to top Go down
madmike

madmike

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass EmptyThu Sep 10, 2020 9:54 am

building a bass AFxyYYnmbuilding a bass CPqGUbPm

This thing sat forever. If not for Covid, I may have never finished it. Lemons into lemonade? Anyhow, been an absolutely insane summer so I give you ..... Dr. Pandemic 2020 bass.
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass EmptySun Nov 29, 2020 8:18 pm

Looks good to me Mike. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

building a bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a bass   building a bass Empty

Back to top Go down

building a bass
Page 1 of 1