Bass Tremolo Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Found my next amp head!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Found my next amp head! Empty
PostSubject: Found my next amp head!   Found my next amp head! EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 5:05 pm

Hey guys,

I used to use a Kustom II head for my bass with one 15" speaker.  I got it well abused, and limped it along for awhile.  It was kinda noisy, and tended to have issues playing at high volume for long periods.  I eventually sold it(for a handsome profit after it was cleaned up).  That left me without an amp head.

Then I took my little 30 watt practice amp and hacked the box up to make it into just a head.  I have been using that now for a little bit with my old Peavey 1 15 cabinet(weighs about 11 tons but it sounds awesome Shocked ).  This combination sounds good, but has little volume.

I got the chance to go up to Columbus(Ohio), and play a bunch of basses in the music stores up there.  This is a bit of a rare treat for me, so I was very excited and played a ton of different instruments.  None of them really surprised me.  What did was the amps.  I tried out a few at each store, but kept ending back up on a Fender Rumble combo(around 100 watts).  I never really looked into these amps, just thinking to myself that a modern Fender amp would not sound like I like.  At the end of the day, I realized that I really like how that particular amp sounds.  The controls are nice and simple like I like.  They also make it in a 350 watt head that everyone says is under rated quite a bit.  So now I am keeping an eye out for a used one pirat 

I guess the moral of the story is to try out as many different models of whatever you are looking to buy as you can.  At least with musical gear.  You never know when you might run across something that sounds just like you are trying to force your current gear to sound afro 

-Jake
Back to top Go down
EricHaven
Admin
EricHaven

Found my next amp head! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found my next amp head!   Found my next amp head! EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 6:20 pm

Very sound advice, and excellent words, Jake. Nothing educates like first-hand experience. I have heard a lot of great things about those Fender amps (and I've owned a couple Fender rigs in my time). Bravo!  cheers 
Back to top Go down
http://www.basstremolofanatics.com

Found my next amp head!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bass Tremolo Fanatics :: Pickups, Amps, Strings & Things! :: Amps-
Jump to: